Painting Log - Stretching my legs

twopounder

Going to start up a painting log to help me stay motivated. This will be an assortment of GW plastic, GW resin and 3d printed stuff (all DA, of course). I haven't been in the physical part of the hobby for years, minus some of the secret santas, simply due to time and moving into a new house (that still isn't finished). But I need to start building that plastic and putting down some paint. I don't play the game anymore, so squad composition will be purely based on aesthetics for my display case.

First up - The War Crimes squad. This will take me a while to finish as I don't have any laser cut bases for my heresy stuff yet. I do have some deathwing knights stripping (as I didn't like how their paint ended up), so I'll finish those while waiting on the bases for heresy projects. Same with my ravenwing collection.

PXL_20230416_000033233.jpg

PXL_20230414_223829179.jpg

Edited by twopounder

On 4/19/2023 at 8:53 AM, Raziel-TX said:

Looking forward to following this. 

On 4/19/2023 at 11:10 PM, Interrogator Stobz said:

Welcome back to the Physical Realm Brother

I've got the DW Knights properly stripped, but had a couple pieces break. Almost repaired now. Had some new contractors at work that I've been training and so working too many hours to focus on painting this week. Hopefully will have the last Knight fixed and the squad primed for an update picture tomorrow.

Alrighty, I have the knights pretty well repaired and ready for priming:

image.thumb.jpeg.e8b0b220dcbdb39b932c9999b387f10c.jpeg

I was also trying to figure out how I would paint the minis without a base. Previously I transitioned from plastic bases to acrylic, but generally don't paint new models to go onto an acrylic base. Even then, I used a plastic base to start. That is wasteful and just adds extra time to rip off the base and sand down the feet. I tried some cork and made a (very dangerous) nail board for them to stick to. It just didn't work the way I had envisioned.

image.thumb.jpeg.4c4e078ace8e4cf04a75366e048d11a3.jpeg

So I tried out a pill bottle and this works much better. I'm still nervous about the blue tack, but seems to be working so far. I ordered a bunch off Amazon, but they won't arrive until Monday.

image.thumb.jpeg.4eeff8798a0d5973f531276d1285b695.jpeg

Some progress is being made. It will go faster once I have all my tools sorted out.

Good news/bad news. I did manage to prime a little over a squad via airbrush. The bad news is that it went badly. I'm new at air brushing and both of my brushed clogged up for some reason. Had flow improver and the paint was plenty fluid. It just didn't work. This is going to be a problem as summers in Florida are 90 degrees and 100% humidity, making canned sprays dubious. I'll need to fully clean the brushes before using them again.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b49399fe41afa9218217fd7e9244160.jpeg

You should try getting some paint thinner and putting it in the cup first, then the flow improver, then the air paint (or normal paint), in that order. Then, backfill mix the whole setup. Changing to that way worked really well for me. I'm in South Carolina, which isn't too far from Florida in climate.

In 80%+ humidity, if you do the airbrushing outside, don't do it too thick and take the models inside to dry.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

14 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

You should try getting some paint thinner and putting it in the cup first, then the flow improver, then the air paint (or normal paint), in that order. Then, backfill mix the whole setup. Changing to that way worked really well for me. I'm in South Carolina, which isn't too far from Florida in climate.

In 80%+ humidity, if you do the airbrushing outside, don't do it too thick and take the models inside to dry.

I airbrush inside (I got the airbrush specifically to do it inside my climate controlled house). I've done the backflow mixing, but I wanted to try pre-mixing. Did not go well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about halfway done with the Deathwing Knights, so I'm planning on finishing them this weekend. I've also decided to switch gears and spend some time painting epic scale figures. Its taken me a bit, but I'm getting accustomed to building supports for resin prints and fine tuning settings. Still dialing them in, but the latest results are usable. I'm focusing on HH Epic first, as this can cover AT, AI and 3d printed stuff. Plus there may be an officially supported game on the horizon for it.

PXL_20230502_213406278.jpg

PXL_20230504_130852372.jpg

PXL_20230504_130928517.jpg

For reference, here is what my epic backlog currently looks like. Note that the baneblade that didn't make it will become a terrain piece. One thing about painting epic scale models is that you get a bit more sense of satisfaction, as you can paint most of the squads and squadrons faster while still maintaining decent quality.

PXL_20230504_192901763.jpg

Just as a quick note for new folks - during the crusade, space marines had all the fun toys - baneblades, thunderbolts, termite assult drills, etc. That's why you see vehicles here that are more analogous to imperial guard (astra militarum) in 40k. The legions had no real limit to the weapons they could take into battle, save the weapons of Old Night that were reserved for the 1st legion.

Edited by twopounder

On 5/6/2023 at 8:29 PM, Interrogator Stobz said:

Loving the Little Legion Lads; can't wait to see them all Black and Firsty...

Assuming your intentions ofc.

Definitely going to be colors of the 1st.

Also, the real danger of 3d printing... your pile of shame grows while you sleep :mellow:PXL_20230512_145408855.thumb.jpg.e5a87cc1bba117bb102b8e203e44befe.jpgPXL_20230512_145414910.thumb.jpg.d3efc9264a933563bb001e2a8040d349.jpgPXL_20230512_145418067.thumb.jpg.57974935a52ee7ead0a63141a3ecb32f.jpgPXL_20230512_145402470.thumb.jpg.09c84fb189850152faf983e739be090e.jpg

Fingers crossed that I complete DW Knights this weekend and can start on the little dudes. Though I'm still struggling with deciding how to base them - traditional epic or design my own, more dynamic. I like the idea of being able to put a banner on them that denotes company/squad/fireteam

• 3 months later...

Was waffling on posting this, but ultimately I decided that I wanted to bring something back from the old archive. There is an entire generation that grew up in the shadow of the original B&C - but that extends to other sites like Imperial Literature and even the Fortress of the Unforgiven. This is some of my very earliest work, back in the 90s:

https://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/CH07_03LoU_023_A.html

https://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/CH07_03LoU_023_B.html

https://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/CH07_03LoU_023_C.html

https://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/CH07_03LoU_023_D.html

I know its very different from what people are used to seeing, but with the newest edition releasing I thought it would be good go back and experience 40k in a very different time.

For those that don't know, https://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/Home.html is a project started by our very own Shadow Guard many, many years ago. I just want to thank him for being the first to patrol the hall of the unforgiven on B&C!

Edited by twopounder

• 2 months later...

I'm slacking way too much. I did get the secret santa gift out in record time, but printed out even more stuff and now I have piles of shame, files of shame and not enough storage for all the projects.

Going to try to finish the deathwing terminators this weekend (so close, soooo close) an then maybe do some custom bladegaurd and assault intercessors. Unfortunately its cooled down again, so printer is going brrrrrr. I did buy the DA combat patrol, 2x intecessors and 1x assault intercessor boxes and I'm likely to pick up Azrael now that he's (FINALLY) back in stock for US shipping.

Also thinking of making a custom 30k themed bladegaurd for The Lion with Redeemed. I don't want to open the limited edition box, so I'll probably buy him again. :ermm:

EDIT

Oh, also popping the brakes on the epic stuff until LI comes out. They've resized the models so I want to make sure what I have already is going to match before printing anything additional.

Edited by twopounder