New 10th edition tactical doctrine: a ray of hope for Raven Guard?

XeonDragon

So GW have released details of the new tactical doctrine....

40k SMFactionFocus May2 Boxout1

Assuming we keep the +1 to hit and wound vs characters, I think the ability to shoot and charge after falling back could really help RG units be even MORE awesome at taking down characters :)  I can see it now: shoot and then charge a character with VGVs with plasma pistols and melee weapons, the survivors then fall back and rinse and repeat without spending any CP :) Raven Guard Aggressors, Centurions and Terminators are seriously scary with this rule in play vs characters :D

From the Info we have so far, the Raven Guard chapter trait as we knew it, is likely to be gone from the 10th ed Index as the way we choose Subfactions/Chapter traits has changed substantially. Subfactions have been replaced with detatchment special rules: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/30/how-army-building-works-in-the-new-edition-of-warhammer-40000/

In 10th edition, Space marines get the Oath of Moment special rule which all marines have. This isan equivilent of the 9th edition Combat Doctrines

If you pick the Gladius Task Force detatchment, you get the Combat Doctrines special rule which would be the equivalent to the Raven Guard chapter tactics of 9th edition. The Gladius Detatchment also tells you what unit restrictions you have, what Enhancments you can take (WLTs and Relics of old) and what strategems you can use.

That was basically just a round about way of saying, if they release a Raven Guard detatchment with the Marine codex (I don't see why they wouldn't for each of the first founding) you'd lose Combat Doctrines to get whatever the Raven Guard detatchment rules are. Hope that makes sense :sweat:

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2023 at 1:40 PM, Dracos said:

I was never fan of the focus on taking out characters. It’s too specific and rarely is the lynchpin in a game focused on taking and holding objectives. 

still a lot to see and digest before I start crafting a TAC doctrine. 

It has value though when you consider all the buffs to units characters give. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 3:45 PM, Claws and Effect said:

It has value though when you consider all the buffs to units characters give. 

You're not wrong and maybe in 10th it'll become more important. I still haven't examined the road to mission victories yet. Partly because I feel the Codex is going to have a few twist in it that might change an overall game plan. My main concern is always making sure I'm allotting the right level/kind of resources to the right targets.

• 1 month later...

Apparently with the upcoming 10th SM Codex there will be like 'themed' detachments that should in theory fit the other codex chapters. So there won't be a RG detachment but there should be like a stealth type detachment or similar as so far they have mentioned a basically Gravis themed detachment that would suit Iron Fists, so seems likely there would be a phobos themed detachment.