Dark Angels in 10th Rules Speculation

G8Keeper

With the preview of Codex Space Marines and tidbits gleaned from intro games at Warhammer Fest, I thought I'd see what you all thought DA will be getting in 10th edition rules wise. We're in a bit of a unique position in that we know we'll have a codex in Spring 2024, so I guess this is aimed at the free datasheets available at launch.

I'd like to make educated guesses if possible.

So far we have the Gladius Strike force, has anyone heard if none codex chapters will get one of their own at launch?

Land Raiders are obviously going to appeal to those of us who run 

Deathwing forces, will we see any love for Deathwing themselves, especially after losing their transhuman buff right at the end of 9th.

Leave your thoughts below brothers!

Every faction they showed off in the preview (there were 28 of them) will have an index for that faction. That means Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Deathwatch and Black Templars are going to be their own indexes.

No word on what their faction or detachment rules will be.

I'm hoping for a generic rule ala stubborn, along with something for DW and RW, perhaps a scout move for the latter as one has already been previewed on something else (I forget what).

i think grim resolve will cease to exist and it will transfer to intercessors and tactical marines

and we will get something entirely new, as a base it was kind of bland anyhow and actively kicked against what youd want to do with ravenwing,

i think ezekiel will get bricked, hes going to probably retain mind worm MAYBE

asmodai will continue to be bloody useless, hes just, even if they give him two aura effects and their both really good, hes going to be a chaplain with a bad chainsword and no other redeeming qualities. they would need to make him cost less then a generic chaplain for anyone to take him

the lions gonna be bad bad bad, the lions clearly got a placeholder datasheet, this being said we wont see him suddenly become amazing, its clear they very much dont want some overpowered offensive beast in a primarch unless they physically otherwise have a trash tier army (such as thousand sons or world eaters where if they didnt the army might otherwise just have no teeth at all)

I Imagine the Lion will be very similar stats-wise to Guilliman. I think he won't have the resurrect on a 4+ mechanic that the Armour of Fates provides but I suspect he will hit harder. Guilliman can make 7 Attacks with the Fist or 14 with the Sword. I think the Lion will get 10 attacks with strike profile of his sword and 20 with the sweep profile. I can see his Shield retaining the rebound MWs on a 6.

He will probably have 3 abilities and you can choose which one activates on a turn-by-turn basis.

Maybe they could make that shield a little more impressive.

DA will overwrite OoM but with what? Some factions have rules that are their usuals whereas for Space Marines they departed from the usual with OoM rather than the classic ATSKNF.

Wings will probably be baked into detachments. Deathwing, Ravenwing, Greenwing, heck, if Lion is back it is not unreasonable to revive the Hexgrammaton.

18 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I Imagine the Lion will be very similar stats-wise to Guilliman. I think he won't have the resurrect on a 4+ mechanic that the Armour of Fates provides but I suspect he will hit harder. Guilliman can make 7 Attacks with the Fist or 14 with the Sword. I think the Lion will get 10 attacks with strike profile of his sword and 20 with the sweep profile. I can see his Shield retaining the rebound MWs on a 6.

He will probably have 3 abilities and you can choose which one activates on a turn-by-turn basis.

Hopefully he'll still be able to roll out of a forest on any given planet. :laugh:

I think GW gave us a taste of 10th ed super characters with Angron. The triple feature aura/power seems to be a thing now.

I do think since Guilliman's sword is so potent, it really should pump up the Shield a bit as well, but I bet you're right. It'll just grant the mortal wound bounce effect. The 4+ resurrection of Guilliman is so random, but has huge play when it goes off or even when you plan to kill him. I do think the Shield should just have something a little more spicy. 

I do wonder what the dual watchers on his base will do now that the Psychic phase is essentially dead? Maybe on a 5+ they grab the fallen shield, and prop the Lion back up for a fight on death? :biggrin:

Edited by Prot

1 hour ago, Prot said:

I do wonder what the dual watchers on his base will do now that the Psychic phase is essentially dead? Maybe on a 5+ they grab the fallen shield, and prop the Lion back up for a fight on death? :biggrin:

Maybe like Psychic Hoods they will give a 4+++ against PSYCHIC attacks.

I'd be surprised at a 4+++ vs Psychics because he's (probably - unless the shield improves/changes drastically) already got at least a 4++ - and I doubt he'll be able to join units as a LEADER - he's too big and they appear to be making these centerpiece guys LONE OPERATIVES instead of LEADERS. 

Maybe they can be used on an attack against a DA Unit within X" but my guess is they do something different.