Primaris Lieutenant with Storm Shield - Deathwing or not?

Ulgorash
Go to solution Solved by Karhedron,

Greetings brothers.

If this has been discussed/answered before, please kindly direct me to that thread. The search function did not yield anything that jumped me.

I have this Primaris Lieutenant model - with power sword and storm shield:

https://ibb.co/9t9YVpj

Now I am wondering how to paint him. On the one hand, he looks pretty much like a Bladeguard. However, the Bladeguard (to my knowledge) does not have Lieutenants, at least not according to the Space Marines or Dark Angels Codices (unless I have overlooked something). If he WERE a Bladeguard, that would make him Deathwing.

On the other hand, despite the general appearance, a Primaris Lieutenant can equip a storm shield. With this, I am leaning towards painting him as a normal Greenwing and not Deathwing. I see no reason that he can't be Greenwing, am I correct?

• Solution

You are correct. A Primaris Lt in the 3rd-9th companies can take a MCPS + SS loadout and would be painted in Greenwing colours.

If in doubt, always refer to the first law of modelling:

1. They are your models so paint them how you like. :thumbsup:
Edited by Karhedron

I think it would be good to consider who you want to run him with. Like you said, 5th company Lieutenant should be green, even if he did have all the deathwing rules. Just for  cohesive look. Plus, tabards and robes are a great look on dark angel leaders so he would fit right in

Not EXACTLY the same model, but the Indomitus one, but I went for Green,

On 7/28/2022 at 1:09 PM, Grotsmasha said:

Well, it's been a while since I've been a regular here in the Rock, but with the arrival of Imperium in Oz (finally...) I've started with the Lieutenant, and I'll be trying to keep up month to month with the models,

PSX_20220728_125659.jpg
PSX_20220728_125720.jpg

The load out is perfectly fine to take for both Masters and Lts without the beig Deathwing. Deathwing membership in fact requires paying points to ‘induct’ the stormshield model as a Primaris Deathwing Master/Lt, so you’re absolutely correct in your colour choices lore and rules wise

Edited by UtariOnzo

If you are making him Deathwing through the rites (not sure what they will do when 10th hits,) then Deathwing colors (or coloration for your Deathwing equivalent.) But if he is just normal, then he would be greenwing (or your base scheme coloration.)

It's your mini you do what you want.

However, a lieutenant could go in the deathwing, you simply would have to pay the rite of initiation. (9th edition codex).

Personnally I have one deathwing which goes with the bladeguards  and another for my 4th or 5th company. I still have to decide on this.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:38 AM, Harleqvin said:

If you are making him Deathwing through the rites (not sure what they will do when 10th hits,) then Deathwing colors (or coloration for your Deathwing equivalent.) But if he is just normal, then he would be greenwing (or your base scheme coloration.)

I'd say only if he's also in the First Company.  If he's in any other company he'd still be in Green.   Azrael is almost certainly inducted into the Death Company but he still wears Green.  Ezekiel wears Libby Blue, Asmodai wears Chaplain Black.   The Bladeguard themselves should probably be Bone White - they'd be on loan from the First Company similar to Terminators and not a squad of the X(Not First)th Company.   But you can also play a little fast and loose with that one too.  Not all Veterans who are in the First Company are technically IN the First Company.  Many of them hang out in other companies as Veteran Sergeants and other Veteran postings after serving in the First Company or while waiting for a position to open up - so to speak and its entirely possible Master Hopitalus of the Fourth Company has created his own Bladeguard Squad of the otherwise untrusted Primaris waiting for an "open" spot in the First Company but passed over for being Primaris yadda yadda.  You get the head cannon here. 

On 5/12/2023 at 4:32 AM, Tacitus said:

I'd say only if he's also in the First Company.  If he's in any other company he'd still be in Green.   Azrael is almost certainly inducted into the Death Company but he still wears Green.  Ezekiel wears Libby Blue, Asmodai wears Chaplain Black.   The Bladeguard themselves should probably be Bone White - they'd be on loan from the First Company similar to Terminators and not a squad of the X(Not First)th Company.   But you can also play a little fast and loose with that one too.  Not all Veterans who are in the First Company are technically IN the First Company.  Many of them hang out in other companies as Veteran Sergeants and other Veteran postings after serving in the First Company or while waiting for a position to open up - so to speak and its entirely possible Master Hopitalus of the Fourth Company has created his own Bladeguard Squad of the otherwise untrusted Primaris waiting for an "open" spot in the First Company but passed over for being Primaris yadda yadda.  You get the head cannon here. 

Those are meant for because of their office/station.

Azzy is the supreme grandmaster (and is done for he is the chapter master.)

ezzy is a Libby. Blue armor.

Asmodai is a chaplain. Black armor.
that’s why their armor is painted those colors.

if you give him the rights of initiation, he would be deathwing, and would be deathwing (or equivalent for the chapter you’re doing,) even if they are on “loan” to another company (if going by lore stuff.

now there are also those in the deathwing that are serving in other companies, but aren’t “being” deathwing,) but it would make more sense (lore wise, and game wise so people know,) that if you made the lieutenant deathwing through rites, he’d be painted deathwing (or equivalent,) colors. 
but in the end the models are ours, we paint them how we want/like, so we do what we want for colors, and such in the end.

but as said in the answering of his question, if not using rights of initiation, greenwing.

If using rites of initiation, deathwing.

Only addendum is (which I sadly forget to put,) In the end do what you want.

Well a Lieutenant is going to be in the livery of his assigned company - if he's on loan from the 1st company he'll be a BGV or Terminator in Bone White, if he's a 3rd company Lieutenant who advanced through the normal promotion path - scout company, reserve company, battle company, Terminator first company, then go back to a battle company as a Veteran Sergeat/Lieutenant he would have the Deathwing Rites, but the livery of his current assigned company. 

On 5/22/2023 at 3:48 AM, Tacitus said:

Well a Lieutenant is going to be in the livery of his assigned company - if he's on loan from the 1st company he'll be a BGV or Terminator in Bone White, if he's a 3rd company Lieutenant who advanced through the normal promotion path - scout company, reserve company, battle company, Terminator first company, then go back to a battle company as a Veteran Sergeat/Lieutenant he would have the Deathwing Rites, but the livery of his current assigned company. 

that's not usually how it works. if he is on loan from deathwing, he'd still be deathwing unless he's hiding within the company like that sergeant in the Legacy of Caliban trilogy.

That's what I said - the livery of his assigned company - if he's on loan from the 1st, he'll be a BGV or Termie in Bone White.  If he's a 3rd company Lieutenant who advanced up through the companies, promoted to Sergeant, promoted to the Ravenwing, promoted to the Deathwing, promoted back to the 3rd company as a Lieutenant would be in Green. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 6:29 AM, Tacitus said:

That's what I said - the livery of his assigned company - if he's on loan from the 1st, he'll be a BGV or Termie in Bone White.  If he's a 3rd company Lieutenant who advanced up through the companies, promoted to Sergeant, promoted to the Ravenwing, promoted to the Deathwing, promoted back to the 3rd company as a Lieutenant would be in Green. 

The Promoted back down is the odd thing to me for what you said.