Gw grass mat suggestion

Mr Farson

Bit of a product review / suggestion request

As I've gotten nearer to 30 I've become a bit wistful of the games of my youth on lovely green grass battlemats.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes a modern decent quality equivalent of the old gw green static grass mats? I've seen a couple at conventions but they were the definition of cheap and nasty

I think you’re better off with a neoprene mat or mousepad with a grass design than an actual textured or static grass mat.  These will last longer when playing and during storage. 

I’ve used the textured mats like you used to see in railroad mags or shops. These will eventually have the texture and color removed.  A roll up mat is easier to store as well. 

5 minutes ago, The Yncarne said:

I think you’re better off with a neoprene mat or mousepad with a grass design than an actual textured or static grass mat.  These will last longer when playing and during storage. 

I’ve used the textured mats like you used to see in railroad mags or shops. These will eventually have the texture and color removed.  A roll up mat is easier to store as well. 

I've got a neoprene grass matt but it doesn't fill the same itch as lovely hairy static grass one hah

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

I've found the model railway ones tend to have a really thin backing compared to the old citadel one which was cloth backed or neoprene iirc 

Edited by Mr Farson

5 hours ago, Mr Farson said:

As I've gotten nearer to 30 I've become a bit wistful of the games of my youth on lovely green grass battlemats.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes a modern decent quality equivalent of the old gw green static grass mats? I've seen a couple at conventions but they were the definition of cheap and nasty

I inherited the old GW grass mat from a friend, it's so good. I don't understand why this product was disconnected, it's top tier. 

8 hours ago, Mr Farson said:

https://www.gamemat.eu/en/battle-mats/?lang=1&cur=2

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven