2+ w/ flat rerolls are broken

In the last few months I have played a lot of games against people who had models that had a 2+ for WS BS Sv and either from CP reroll or an ability, they’d get a reroll.

it bothers me how OP that is and I feel the same way about my own captains as well.

rerolling a 2+ should result in a -1 modifier to the reroll or 40k needs to switch to a more granular d10/12 system. 
d12 you could scale almost perfectly if you wanted the exact same relative effectiveness, but you could also make SoB slightly better than guardsmen without them being much better for example, but custodes could have a 3+ Sv and a reroll, but this way the reroll isn’t basically a guarantee success.

That might change now that people only get 1 CP/ turn.

It certainly isn't something that will be used indiscriminately; is it worth it to save your warlord? Probably.

To kill you opponent's Warlord? Probably.

But other than that, it's a real opportunity cost. You can use two 1CP strats/ round or one 2CP strat. Foregoing any of that to reroll a single die... In a lot of cases, Command Reroll feels like a trap strat to me. You want an outcome so badly that you cave in and burn the CP, and then you're stuck without the ability to do cool, fun, cinematic stuff.

12 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

That might change now that people only get 1 CP/ turn.

It certainly isn't something that will be used indiscriminately; is it worth it to save your warlord? Probably.

To kill you opponent's Warlord? Probably.

But other than that, it's a real opportunity cost. You can use two 1CP strats/ round or one 2CP strat. Foregoing any of that to reroll a single die... In a lot of cases, Command Reroll feels like a trap strat to me. You want an outcome so badly that you cave in and burn the CP, and then you're stuck without the ability to do cool, fun, cinematic stuff.

CP doesn’t effect character aura rerolls 

can’t remember how many of those we’ve seen in the previews so far.

Rerolls and generally +1 modifiers should probably go away. 2+ should only be for legendary characters, in my opinion.

For many years and editions, a Space Marine or Space Elf shot at 3+, there were generally no rerolls, and generally no +1 to hit.

2+ is way to easy to get, and rerolls are way to easy to get.  

Never mind overpowered, giving things WS 2+ and reroll 1's auras (I think Ghazkull and some slaanesh stuff) is just pointless. Just say that they automatically hit.

The fun in 40k for me comes from the unforeseen events that dice rolls cause. If you give enough modifiers and rerolls to stuff to make events a foregone conclusion, it removes so much joy from the game. 

Anyway, I guess it's pretty moot as of 2 days ago when GW dropped the 10th ed rules for general use, and totally moot in 19 days. 

Edited by Xenith