A few lore questions

Hey yall! I've finally found myself in a comfortable spot to start collecting 40k again for the first time since... 2015.

I am a little behind on certain things, and I just wanted to check on a few updates to the lore.

Primaris Marines are Bellisarius Cawl's thing that he made to reinforce current chapters, right? Are all Primaris Marines new additions to existing chapters, or is this a new Founding where new chapters of just Primaris are created? How long in current lore have Primaris been existing - like, a century, a month, a nebulous amount of time? I know there's a thing called Crossing the Rubicon to make an existing marine Primaris, how risky is that procedure?

Does Chaos have an answer to the loyalist's Primaris, other than, of course, corrupting them?

A whole Sisters of Battle Codex came out! Which is great. How are Sisters of Battle organized, in the sense of a semi-unique organization like a chapter? Can a branch or whatever be created for a specific holy relic, or to follow a specific variation of Ecclesiarchal beliefs (that of course, haven't been found heretical)? Who supplies them? Besides hunting psykers, cults, and aiding the PDF when their planet is being invaded, what are the typical wider duties of Sisters of Battle?

1 hour ago, Dark Apostle Thirst said:

Primaris Marines are Bellisarius Cawl's thing that he made to reinforce current chapters, right? Are all Primaris Marines new additions to existing chapters, or is this a new Founding where new chapters of just Primaris are created?

Both,

How long in current lore have Primaris been existing - like, a century, a month, a nebulous amount of time?

A couple of centuries if memory serves, it's like M42, old-timer. :tongue:

I know there's a thing called Crossing the Rubicon to make an existing marine Primaris, how risky is that procedure?

Very. I think it's in the low to mid percentages. Named characters of course, have an increased chance of making it...:happy:

I stand to be corrected by the Learned.

Hey yall! I've finally found myself in a comfortable spot to start collecting 40k again for the first time since... 2015.

I am a little behind on certain things, and I just wanted to check on a few updates to the lore.

Primaris Marines are Bellisarius Cawl's thing that he made to reinforce current chapters, right? Are all Primaris Marines new additions to existing chapters, or is this a new Founding where new chapters of just Primaris are created? How long in current lore have Primaris been existing - like, a century, a month, a nebulous amount of time? I know there's a thing called Crossing the Rubicon to make an existing marine Primaris, how risky is that procedure?

Does Chaos have an answer to the loyalist's Primaris, other than, of course, corrupting them?

A whole Sisters of Battle Codex came out! Which is great. How are Sisters of Battle organized, in the sense of a semi-unique organization like a chapter? Can a branch or whatever be created for a specific holy relic, or to follow a specific variation of Ecclesiarchal beliefs (that of course, haven't been found heretical)? Who supplies them? Besides hunting psykers, cults, and aiding the PDF when their planet is being invaded, what are the typical wider duties of Sisters of Battle?

Beyond the original 7? Sister Orders, it is very vague why the various Orders are founded, so you have a huge amount of freedom to make your own. I can see an Order being founded to guard a specific relic, relic location or holy site. And Orders vary wildly on what parts of the Imperial Creed they focus on, or what text they believe in.

The Imperial Creed is a million different religions twisted into following the Emperor.

There are Chapters newly founded of all Primaris, both old ones reborn, and complete new ones. They have been around for a hundred years or so? But the Imperial Calendar is corrupted, so no one really knows.

I think Fabious Bile is tinkering away at his own brand of Marines 2.0, but results may vary

At the start of 8th Edition it had been roughly two centuries since the Primaris were revealed and the Indomitus Crusade had just finished. That changed later in the edition and into 9th, and its been retconned so its a few decades since the Primaris arrived and the Indomitus Crusade is still ongoing.

Fabius Bile has gained access to Primaristo experiment on, so its likely he'll offer some enhancements to those who can afford his services.

29 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

A couple of centuries if memory serves, it's like M42, old-timer. :tongue:

Finally, the timeline moves forward. Honestly the thing that confused me most about the Primaris marines was how they would work without changing the timeline :laugh:

20 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

Beyond the original 7? Sister Orders, it is very vague why the various Orders are founded, so you have a huge amount of freedom to make your own. I can see an Order being founded to guard a specific relic, relic location or holy site. And Orders vary wildly on what parts of the Imperial Creed they focus on, or what text they believe in.

The Imperial Creed is a million different religions twisted into following the Emperor.

I think Fabious Bile is tinkering away at his own brand of Marines 2.0, but results may vary

So similar to the Legions, there was an initial 7 Orders founded after the whole Vandire business, but then others were created both as splinters of the original 7 and for new purposes as well? 

11 minutes ago, Remain_Indoors said:

At the start of 8th Edition it had been roughly two centuries since the Primaris were revealed and the Indomitus Crusade had just finished. That changed later in the edition and into 9th, and its been retconned so its a few decades since the Primaris arrived and the Indomitus Crusade is still ongoing.

Fabius Bile has gained access to Primaristo experiment on, so its likely he'll offer some enhancements to those who can afford his services.

So it's a little wiggle hand. Officially it's been decades, but if I were to homebrew a Primaris chapter with a little history it would be fine as long as it didn't touch official stuff. What is the Indomitus Crusade?

I heard about poor Dante surviving the Primaris treatment. Alas, only in death does duty end.

Glad to see Fabius is producing CSM Primaris. Part of why I'm asking these questions is that, while I love the Primaris models, I don't believe they have the level of customization (yet) of the old ones that came with having unique kits for : Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, Black Templars, the entire Chaos Marine line, the entire vanilla marine line, various Forge World kits, etc. I'm a little curious to see what factions will get Primaris kits next, and as a Chaos fan it's nice to see GW has put in an option for Chaos to have Primaris because it gives me an excuse to kitbash and it's a good sign they'll add Chaos Primaris sooner rather than later.

There is another option I believe for chaos primaris and that's marines that fell to Angron's murder curse. Fabius work is only an in game stat boost at the moment and GW haven't produced an official kit yet.

So it's a little wiggle hand. Officially it's been decades, but if I were to homebrew a Primaris chapter with a little history it would be fine as long as it didn't touch official stuff. What is the Indomitus Crusade?

I heard about poor Dante surviving the Primaris treatment. Alas, only in death does duty end.

Glad to see Fabius is producing CSM Primaris. Part of why I'm asking these questions is that, while I love the Primaris models, I don't believe they have the level of customization (yet) of the old ones that came with having unique kits for : Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, Black Templars, the entire Chaos Marine line, the entire vanilla marine line, various Forge World kits, etc. I'm a little curious to see what factions will get Primaris kits next, and as a Chaos fan it's nice to see GW has put in an option for Chaos to have Primaris because it gives me an excuse to kitbash and it's a good sign they'll add Chaos Primaris sooner rather than later.

The Indomitus Crusade is where Guilliman, having been resurrected and returned to Terra for a chat with the Emperor, joined up with Cawl to send out 5 massive fleets of mainly primaris marines (greyshields) to reconquer and reinforce across the Imperium to reverse the losses due to the formation of the great warp rift splitting the imperium in two (end of 7th ed, when Abaddon finally broke Cadia into pieces) and the warp storms that followed across the galaxy. They've been out delivering primaris marines to existing chapters, with the genelines following those of the founding chapters (e.g. sanguinius gene primaris going to Blood Angels successors), as well the technology to make their own. In places of need, they've been founding entire new chapters of primaris from the greyshields.

There's been some retcon of the timeline. In 8th, the crusade lasted ~200 years, and then Guilliman returned to Ultramar to battle Mortarion and friends. In 9th it's been retconned that the first phase of rushing out and stabilising the terra side of the imperium took 12 years to complete, then Guilliman headed back to Ultramar for the plague books, and the crusade military has been split up and is continuing. In 10th, it looks like the big threat is the new tendril of Leviathan to the galactic west, with the crusade elements running headlong into it and getting their ass kicked so far. Also, the formation of the Rift and the following warp storms has caused time to be screwy everywhere, so stuff that takes decades in one local system appears to have only taken weeks in another making any galaxy-wide time comparison pretty much impossible - stuff happens when it does where it does, but how that relates to say the Terran calendar is all over the shop.

The north side of the rift (the Dark Imperium), without access to the astronomicon is a hellhole because warp travel is extremely dangerous and can only do short hops. Dante was made regent by Guilliman when he crossed over at one of the few stable crossing points briefly, dropped off reinforcements and helped clean up the remnants of the tyranids at Baal (most of those got wiped out of orbit by the warp storm following the Rift creation, plus Ka'bandha + khorne demons killing off a whole moon's worth). The Blood Angels and successors are semi acting as a reformed legion since Baal; they are having some help navigating the warp with the Sanguinor acting as a mini beacon they follow, but even with the infusion of a lot of primaris, a huge induction into their scout companies to recover their losses at Baal, the galactic north has been struggling to fight off well, everything, but especially chaos, who've been attacking the crossing points to block off reinforcements. CSM have had a number of new releases, with much bigger marines, half way between old firstborn and primaris. I've seen some pretty cool primaris conversions of Alpha legion too.

I haven't read the latest Arks books, which is basically Abaddon's new crusade to find a mcguffin to destroy the Imperium (again), but I know there's a bunch of chaos activity based around space hulks. Dante got a right smacking by Angron, which is assumed to be what is going to be what caused him to cross the Rubicon (Dante's mini leaked early, so it's thought GW brought forward the release). The Lion, who has just come back, defeated Angron and is generally going around kicking chaos ass in the Dark Imperium I believe.

Black Templars have had a nice primaris glow-up for Crusaders, so sorta have established a baseline for what we can expect eventually for the non-codex chapters eventually. Aside from that, I think all primaris units have been generic ones available to all chapters (current primaris Death Company are standard rifle or assault intercessors with black paint, for example). The big gap so far is primaris jump pack assault units; the handful with packs so far have been characters or heavy weapons.

What's interesting with Leviathan is that we're seeing more direct replacements for existing units, rather than just the more Legion-y all squad members take the same weapons approach so far (though they have done that for the flamethrower guys). We've new terminators and sternguard, which are much more like their predecessors (though until we get the multipart kits, we won't know exactly how close). The new shooty dread is the same as the old boxnaught loadout, and the Brutalis is a straight up bigger Furioso that's available to all. Dark Angels are the next non-codex chapter up for new units (after the leviathan stuff for generic marines), so we might be seeing some Deathwing upgrades later.

Edited by Arkhanist

1 hour ago, Arkhanist said:

"A lot of useful information"

Interesting! There was a lot of context here I didn't know to look for. I had heard a lot about the Dark Imperium, but I hadn't really understood what that was about; that half the Imperium is missing the light of the Astronomicon is actually devastating. Thank you for painting the wider picture.

52 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

The Indomitus Crusade is where Guilliman, having been resurrected and returned to Terra for a chat with the Emperor, joined up with Cawl to send out 5 massive fleets of mainly primaris marines (greyshields) to reconquer and reinforce across the Imperium to reverse the losses due to the formation of the great warp rift splitting the imperium in two (end of 7th ed, when Abaddon finally broke Cadia into pieces) and the warp storms that followed across the galaxy. They've been out delivering primaris marines to existing chapters, with the genelines following those of the founding chapters (e.g. sanguinius gene primaris going to Blood Angels successors), as well the technology to make their own. In places of need, they've been founding entire new chapters of primaris from the greyshields.

There's been some retcon of the timeline. In 8th, the crusade lasted ~200 years, and then Guilliman returned to Ultramar to battle Mortarion and friends. In 9th it's been retconned that the first phase of rushing out and stabilising the terra side of the imperium took 12 years to complete, then Guilliman headed back to Ultramar for the plague books, and the crusade military has been split up and is continuing. In 10th, it looks like the big threat is the new tendril of Leviathan to the galactic west, with the crusade elements running headlong into it and getting their ass kicked so far. Also, the formation of the Rift and the following warp storms has caused time to be screwy everywhere, so stuff that takes decades in one local system appears to have only taken weeks in another making any galaxy-wide time comparison pretty much impossible - stuff happens when it does where it does, but how that relates to say the Terran calendar is all over the shop.

The north side of the rift (the Dark Imperium), without access to the astronomicon is a hellhole because warp travel is extremely dangerous and can only do short hops. Dante was made regent by Guilliman when he crossed over at one of the few stable crossing points briefly, dropped off reinforcements and helped clean up the remnants of the tyranids at Baal (most of those got wiped out of orbit by the warp storm following the Rift creation, plus Ka'bandha + khorne demons killing off a whole moon's worth). The Blood Angels and successors are semi acting as a reformed legion since Baal; they are having some help navigating the warp with the Sanguinor acting as a mini beacon they follow, but even with the infusion of a lot of primaris, a huge induction into their scout companies to recover their losses at Baal, the galactic north has been struggling to fight off well, everything, but especially chaos, who've been attacking the crossing points to block off reinforcements. CSM have had a number of new releases, with much bigger marines, half way between old firstborn and primaris. I've seen some pretty cool primaris conversions of Alpha legion too.

I haven't read the latest Arks books, which is basically Abaddon's new crusade to find a mcguffin to destroy the Imperium (again), but I know there's a bunch of chaos activity based around space hulks. Dante got a right smacking by Angron, which is assumed to be what is going to be what caused him to cross the Rubicon (Dante's mini leaked early, so it's thought GW brought forward the release). The Lion, who has just come back, defeated Angron and is generally going around kicking chaos ass in the Dark Imperium I believe.

Black Templars have had a nice primaris glow-up for Crusaders, so sorta have established a baseline for what we can expect eventually for the non-codex chapters eventually. Aside from that, I think all primaris units have been generic ones available to all chapters (current primaris Death Company are standard rifle or assault intercessors with black paint, for example). The big gap so far is primaris jump pack assault units; the handful with packs so far have been characters or heavy weapons.

What's interesting with Leviathan is that we're seeing more direct replacements for existing units, rather than just the more Legion-y all squad members take the same weapons approach so far (though they have done that for the flamethrower guys). We've new terminators and sternguard, which are much more like their predecessors (though until we get the multipart kits, we won't know exactly how close). The new shooty dread is the same as the old boxnaught loadout, and the Brutalis is a straight up bigger Furioso that's available to all. Dark Angels are the next non-codex chapter up for new units (after the leviathan stuff for generic marines), so we might be seeing some Deathwing upgrades later.

To add on to this brilliant post, the Ark of Omens lore progresses as follows.

Arks of Omen: Abaddon

Spoiler

Abaddon teams up with Vashtorr (a unaligned chaos being who is powered by creation, irrc. Aims to become the 5th Chaos 40k god). Vashtorr proposes a plan but needs 3 "keys" to get things started. To this end, the pair create the titular Arks of Omens, space hulks bound with demons, crewed by Abaddon's followers. Their aim is to scour the galaxy for these keys.

While they're out searching, the imperium reacts. In the northern sector, Dante and his men find some Arks of Omens that are lifeless, with signs of a battle (bolter shells and weird plant life...)

At the end the imperium is converging around a planet where one of the keys is located, Vashtorr is concerned but Abaddon laughs, as that's where Angron is   

Also Fulgrim is mentioned as being in physical space once more and Abaddon isn't happy with him as he's not listening to him. Expect Fulgrim and Emperor's Children models in 10th Edition.

Arks of Omen: Angron

Spoiler

I'm a bit sketchy on this one but the gist is that Angron smashes the Imperium, with a vast swathe of the assembled forces being afflicted by his murder curse. To my knowledge, this is the first mention of chaos primaris being possible as well as chaos sisters of Battle. Vashtorr gets his first key part.

Arks of Omen: Vashtorr

Spoiler

For the next key, Vashtorr, with Abaddon's forces, lure the Dark Angels into a trap, claiming a sighting of the Fallen at a nearby battle field.

Arzel has already crossed the Rubicon Primaris at this point.

The Dark Angels, and the Rock approach the planet, just as Chaos ships burst into real space, and the Rock is invaded by the assembled chaos forces. The Dark Angels fight tooth and nail but Vashtorr goes deeper and deeper into the Rock, after a mystery prize until another chaos army joins the fray, attacking Vashtorr's force and the Dark Angels. The leader of this force reveals himself to Vashtorr as Bel'akor, the first demon Prince. The two come to blows and Bel'akor wins, claiming that the upstart Vashtorr needed to be humbled. Sensing that imperium reinforcements are rapidly approaching (a fleet led by Tigurus of the Ultramarines...Ultramarines to the rescue!). Wisely, Vashtorr decides to retreat, as does Bel'akor. After dealing with the chaos threat, the Dark Angels kick the Ultramarines off the Rock and begin interrogation of the captured chaos troops...

vashtorr is angry at Bel'akors interference but isnt without options, as he says that the Dark Angels will have to come to him...

One of the chaos prisoners spits out a star system, the Solenium Stars (which is where its been said that the Fallen are gathering) and the Dark Angels head there knowing its a trap, but they don't care...

Arks of Omen: Farsight

Spoiler

I'll be brief as the only thing that happens that affects the larger narrative is that Vashtorr's agents, a group of Alpha legion, secure a second key which was in a crashed fighter.

The rest of the story is about the T'au Farsight trying to stave off Chaos Corruption while dealing with orks as Khorne keeps calling to him.

He does.

Arks of Omen: Lion

Spoiler

The big one.

Opens on a blood angel battleship where the Lion is sparing with some of the Risen (fallen who the Lion has redeemed) while observing Blood Angels are in awe at seeing another primarch.

The Dark Angels fleet (them and successor chapters) approach a planet where Abaddon's fleet awaits and a massive battle ensures. Arzel and a few others head down to the planet, believing that Vashtorr is there. Now, the planet they're on is actually the remains of Caliban (Dark Angel homeworld) reformed into a demon planet called Wyrmwood. Arzel and Co encounter Angron and the slaughter begins. At this point, Dantes Blood Angels fleet arrive and start aiding the Dark Angels and announce that the Lion is on board. The Lion, his Risen bodyguard, and Dante and others go to the planet and engage Angron (the fight goes as above) however this provided Vashtorr with the bloodshed needed to complete a planet wide ritual. While all the fighting was going on, Vashtorr snuck aboard the Rock, and communed with the Abominable Intelligence that lurked in it (I can't remember the name), the pair came to an agreement, and Vashtorr had the final key.

The ritual allowed him to combine the three keys into the planet, turning the entire thing into a key that could travel the webway. Now he and Abaddon (who is happy they got what they wanted but upset that the Lion was back...everytime Abaddon schemes a loyalist primarch returns) are searching the webway for the 'lock', which contains a cache of the Old Ones greatest weapons from the War in Heaven...

The Lion is reunited with his legion/chapter and Lord Inquisitor Cortez learns of the Lions return and activates all of his agents...

Apologies for anything I've missed.

4 hours ago, Redcomet said:

There are Chapters newly founded of all Primaris, both old ones reborn, and complete new ones. They have been around for a hundred years or so? But the Imperial Calendar is corrupted, so no one really knows.

4 original SOB orders militant with 2 more added later 

5 hours ago, Dark Apostle Thirst said:

Welcome back! 

Primaris we’re originally reinforcements to existing chapters as well as forming their own throughout the Indomitus Crusade. Most pre Ultima founding chapters have since embraced Primaris marines and have started exclusively rising Neophytes as Primaris marines [as far as were aware]

To be honest it’s a nebulous amount of time and anyone arguing it’s not kinda misguided with the rift ripping the galaxy in two time across the Imperium is now very much variable some sectors might have been locked in war for hundreds of years for some it might have been days! But the furthest relative we’ve seen is 112 years approx and the “current” series deals with the first 2 decades post rift [relative]

Chaos doesn’t need an answer for Primaris! CSM’s generally have centuries of combat experience and are empowered by the Chaos gods! 

For the SOB question I’d highly suggest buying the Codex or scanning of the lexicanum but the 6 Orders Majoris are massive organisations that are vastly bigger than a chapter [we don’t know the exact size but 50,000 + would be my guess with the information available] they’re still semi independent with their own attendant fleets but are answerable to the Ordo Hereticus and the Ecclesiarchy below them is the Hospitallers and other non Militant orders. A myriad of Minor Orders also exist which come act however you like [Guarding relics, Crusading, lighting candles in a specific monastery to venerate a saint anything really]

Sisters militant duties include being the militant arm of the Ordo Hereticus with all that would entail… more generally Holy Crusades [Wars of faith] Defending shrine worlds, Hunting heretics anything you think an holy militant order should be up to will work out just fine 

Sisters Organization:

You've got two convents:

Convent Prioris on Terra, which trains Ebon Chalice and Argent Shroud- two original orders, and then Sacred Rose came later. 

Convent Sanctorum on Ophelia VII trains Order of Our Martyred Lady and Valorous Heart- two original orders, and Bloody Rose came later.

Each convent also trains specific non-militant orders (of Hospitallers, Dialogi, and Famulous), but those orders are never fielded as factions.

Once upon a time, there was an Abbess Prioris and an Abbess Sanctorum; this would have been the highest ranking sisters capable of travelling to Theatres of War.

Currently, there is no Abbess Prioress; the Abbess Sanctorum is Morvenn Vahl, and Guilliman made her a High Lord of Terra.

Then there is a Prioress of each Convent, and these two don't travel and fight- their responsibility is maintaining the Convents.

Each Order is led by a Canoness Superior, and includes tens of thousands of Sisters. There is one Canoness Superior model- Junith Eruita, the Cannoness Superior of the Order of Our Martyred Lady. The 9th edition of the game had upgrades that could be applied to Canonesses that allowed you to create your own special characters who were a cut above the Canoness, and they would have been excellent for use as Canoness Superiors for the other five Orders- but with 10th's assault on flavour, I think it's unlikely we'll see that again.

These Orders are divided into Preceptories (led by Canoness Preceptors)- these are roughly analogous to a Chapter. Each Preceptory is divided into Commanderis (led by Canoness Commanders); these are roughly analogous to SM Companies... But consist of 100-200 Sisters. Finally, you have Missions, which are basically armies, led by regular Canonesses or even just Palatines.

In terms of purpose, Sisters serve as the Army of the Ecclesiarchy, and their armies often contain Missionaries, Preachers and Battle Conclaves. This adds a nice dynamism to the army, with Sisters performing battlefield miracles, while the Missionaries and Preachers lead the unwashed masses.

But Sisters ALSO serve as the Chamber Militant of the Ordo Hereticus of the Inquisition, who hunt heretics and rogue psykers. Sisters are ubiquitous- not as common as Guard, but far more common than Marines, and Missions can by purpose built for countless reasons- guarding relics or shrines, maintaining pilgrim routes, accompanying the Missionarius Galactica, fighting in protracted conflicts, body-guarding Imperial officials... There's a lot diversity here.