TTCombat New Paint Range Coming to Pre-Order

TTCombat is putting its brand new Paint Range up for Pre-Order on Friday 16th June 2023 with a release date of Friday 23rd June 2023.

You can find the full range listed on their successful Kickstarterhttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ttcfm2/ttcombat-paints-and-washes

The Starter Set: GB£22.00

Starter-Set.png

Acrylic Colours: GB£2.60 each

TTCombat-Paint-Range.png

Acrylic Washes: GB£2.60 each

TTC-Washes.png

Acrylic Metallics: GB£2.75 each

Render-Colours.png

For those who don't know, TTCombat ships worldwide, with free domestic delivery, and worldwide delivery free on orders above GB£100

You can find TTCombat here (This link will be updated when the pre-order is live). 

Posted with permission from Brother Tyler.

I will start a blog showing the Ultramarines I'm painting with the TTCombat paints as I backed them on Kickstarter.

EDIT:- Pre-order is now live!

Edited by Xenith
Blog link embedded

7 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

Another paint range? 

Yep.

The good thing about having so many paint ranges, (which was a discussion in a couple of Twitch streams I frequent) is that everybody can try as many or as few of them as they want in order to find the "perfect" one for them.

As a user of these paints, I could provide a review, but I figured that was outside the scope of the permitted advertisement, and didn't want to annoy the Admins.

That said, however, I can/will update my blog regarding this range with my experiences if that would be helpful. I have no real connection to TTCombat, other than as a happy customer and tangentially-related mod of the TrollTrader (parent company) Twitch stream.

By all means, if you or any others have a question I, as a user, can answer, I will do so as they arise.

3 minutes ago, Misterduch said:

Interested to hear how the washes hold up to the old citadel ones.

Especially the cold green ( to biel tan green shade ) and black ( nuln oil )

I haven't had cause to use the Cold Green Wash yet. However, the black wash I found to be pretty great for giving definition without creating a slightly dirty effect Nuln Oil can because it lacks the brown element present in Nuln Oil.

If it helps at all, there is less incidental staining than with citadel paints, and dilution on a 1:1 or 2:1 basis with the regular TTCombat Thinning Medium can help give great gradients and subtle tonal shifts.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Lexington said:

I don’t mind another paint range out there in the world, but given that it’s from TTCombat, I am curious if it’s their own creation, or just another thing they literally stole from another company.

there appears to be several sides to that story. 

Will these prices change after the release or is this the retail price too?

1 hour ago, Lexington said:

I don’t mind another paint range out there in the world, but given that it’s from TTCombat, I am curious if it’s their own creation, or just another thing they literally stole from another company.

Trying not to comment where I have no knowledge or anything from the inside, but there is a supplemental to the link you provided: https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/06/10/secret-weapon-statement/#more-13442

Going back to the paint range.

During the Kickstarter, TrollTrader ran daily Twitch streams all day (UK time) finishing the campaign with a 24-hour stream.  During this stream bonanza, we were introduced to a wide variety of staff members who also ran (some still do run) personal streams, as well as the lead developer of the paint range. 

I am in no way, shape, or form any kind of expert when it comes to the development of any kind of paint. However, the lead developer had many conversations with the chat about the processes, materials, solvents, and carrier fluids available alongside pigment processes, and other technical aspects of paint development from ideas to what we have in hand/see up for pre-order.

The TTCombat Kickstarter was to raise the funds needed for bottling machines, as they were outsourcing the actual paint itself to a different UK-based company.  Please remember, I am a regular user of their website like others on here. I highly recommend that if you have any questions, you reach out to TTCombat via the details on their website.

4 minutes ago, sarabando said:

there appears to be several sides to that story. 

Will these prices change after the release or is this the retail price too?

As far as I know, the pre-order price is the retail price.

On 6/16/2023 at 2:27 PM, Damo1701 said:

I haven't had cause to use the Cold Green Wash yet. However, the black wash I found to be pretty great for giving definition without creating a slightly dirty effect Nuln Oil can because it lacks the brown element present in Nuln Oil.

If it helps at all, there is less incidental staining than with citadel paints, and dilution on a 1:1 or 2:1 basis with the regular TTCombat Thinning Medium can help give great gradients and subtle tonal shifts.

Hope that helps.

Well, what I am looking for are washes that leave pigment behind on flat surfaces like the old citadel formula.

The new ones just don't do it for me, having more pooling issues and not darkening stuff down properly. My salamanders for example are painted by airbrushing 2-3 coats of Biel tan green shade over vulkan green with elysian green zenithal highlights 

8 minutes ago, Misterduch said:

Well, what I am looking for are washes that leave pigment behind on flat surfaces like the old citadel formula.

The new ones just don't do it for me, having more pooling issues and not darkening stuff down properly. My salamanders for example are painted by airbrushing 2-3 coats of Biel tan green shade over vulkan green with elysian green zenithal highlights 

Ok, that sounds fair.

As a mediocre painter, I have found that while thinning these washes in a 1:1 ratio helps give the definition a lot of us seek from washes instead of staining the surrounding surfaces, even 2-3 layers of neat wash *should* (as in, that's how I use the Gold Wash) build up colour faster, if with slightly less control if you are looking for slightly faster, thicker coats.

As long as each layer is completely dry, I don't see why it *shouldn't* work.

While it's not the Cold Green Wash at the moment, I'm planning on updating my blog later today, which will show how my efforts with the Gold and Red washes have come out, if that's any help in your deliberations.

Honestly I have no interest in a paint range that isn't stocked locally - I don't want the faff of mail order every time I want to add or replace a paint.

If I see them in one of our local model/games stores I might give them a go, if I don't, I won't.

1 hour ago, Misterduch said:

Sounds like you might be after a tint coat rather than a wash. GW old shades partial glazing effect was more an side effect than the primary purpose. So a heavily thinned down acrylic ink like daler-rowney or liquitex, or a specific range like badger minitaire ghost tints might be better suited for that sort of airbrush applied glaze. I suspect pro acrylic transparents would also work that way through an airbrush.

Contrast slightly thinned and through an airbrush can have the same effect too, but it's an expensive way to do it.

Edited by Arkhanist

On 6/16/2023 at 3:20 PM, Lexington said:

You would do well presenting both sides of the story, because it sounds like they literally did not steal anything and in turn were taken advantage of.

https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/06/10/secret-weapon-statement/#more-13442

I've been avoiding posting on the Secret Weapon vs TTCombat on this thread because I didn't feel it was the right place. This issue has been going on over a couple of years and the latest tit for tat posts between the two sides doesn't fully cover what has come before; both sides have made bone headed moves in their working relationship. I found the Dakka Dakka thread Secret Weapon folds a good read with links to the various posts both sides have made in regards to this dispute. This and how TTCombat has handled the acquisition and running of Dropfleet/Dropzone Commander has me hesitant to support TTCombat until things/lawsuit get settled.

On 6/17/2023 at 4:56 PM, Arkhanist said:

Sounds like you might be after a tint coat rather than a wash. GW old shades partial glazing effect was more an side effect than the primary purpose. So a heavily thinned down acrylic ink like daler-rowney or liquitex, or a specific range like badger minitaire ghost tints might be better suited for that sort of airbrush applied glaze. I suspect pro acrylic transparents would also work that way through an airbrush.

Contrast slightly thinned and through an airbrush can have the same effect too, but it's an expensive way to do it.

You are right, it's just that the old biel tan green had the perfect shade for what I wanted. But I still preffer the glazing effect those washes had for metallics etc.

Regarding inks, a regional store added liquitex inx to their store, so I may give a few of them a try since I also heard that white ink is a fantastic way to do zenithal highlights