10th Edition First Games Lists and Feedback

Ok new, new rules new points, got a game planned tonight and staying positive. 1500pts, likely to face Guard or Marines today eldar tomorrow looking to make a list for both games, true all a rounder. This is my first draft. 

Tech Priest Dominus with Excoriating Emanation ( stealth) 100pts

6x Kataprhon Breachers (full haywire guns) 300pts

3x 10 Vanguard (will swallow my pride and add a haywire gun to each unit) 3x100pts

2x 5 man infiltraitors 2x 80pts

5xSterylisors 75pts

2xkastelan robots with fists and flamers 215pts

10x corpuscarii electro priests 130pts

skorpius dunerider 80pts

onager dunecrawler 140pts. 

Idea is simple dominus and breachers march up the board with their high t and  stealth, 3+5++5++ and shoot at vehicles/act as distraction carnifex. Infiltraitors deploy on the sides to harras/keep enemy contained and if needed go take an obj the enemy doesnt want to contest.  Vanguard split up, 10 on either side of the breachers to give re rolls and get objs and 10 and the kastelan march off to deal with aggressive enemy forward elements.  Onager sit backs and shoots all game with the laser and sterylisors deep strike and help out as needed.

Only thing i am not 100% sold on are the priests, but i really want to use the dunerider and with it not being assault i am not sure if fulgurite are worth it. Maybe drop them for a second onager and a unit of sulphurounds? 

Edited by Nagashsnee

Super interested in how this goes. Onager seems to be one of our best units, I have two I’ll try out but no games for the next week.

Try priests for sure. No assault ramp sucks as does the nerf to stick priests prior abilities but I love them so I’m interested in your feedback on them.

Yes full special weapons for your rangers and vanguard to make the points feel better. I don’t have a vanguard TUA and probably won’t make one. Doesn’t feel right.

Edited by brother_b

Ok so my final list was 

Tech Priest Dominus with Excoriating Emanation ( ste+alth) 100pts

3x 10 Vanguard (1xplasma 1 x haywire) 3x100pts

skorpius dunerider 80pts

onager dunecrawler 140pts

3x sulphur hounds 65pts

My enemy had ( from memory)

tank commander in russ

leman russ demolisher

2x basilisks

6 cadians squads

cadian castellan?

command squad

2x scout sentinels

10 karskin in chimera with some sort of hq.

Now fun fact, units cant take orders it they are battle shocked, so turn 1 rad bombs were more effective then vs most armies. He played first and blew most of the sicarians and the sulphur hounds and dunerider off the board.  I counter by blowing the tank commander off the board with the breachers and grabs.  After that he 'wasted' his seccond turn trying to kill the breachers, but man stealth+the hight T+5++ and 5+++ is FANTASTIC. Lost 3 models but that was 8/10 of his entire army pooring fire. after that i killed off the seccond russ and having gone into conqurer imperative had gotten close enough to start laying into the infantry. Turn 3 we called it and he had nothing left that could deal with the kastelans who had gotten into the meat and it. 

My general take aways, at 100 points vanguard are overcosted and die way way to easily for 10ppm. Their short range means they have to close in and the new special weapon tax means i cant run them cheap and anti infa cheerful. But we NEED them, the re roll to hits on the breachers was FANTASTIC, and too many other units want battleline units near them.

Kastelans are neat, they are tough, the bounching moral wounds can throw an oponent off  and they are solid in cc with the flamers being gret secondary weapons. 

Sicarans are way way worse, but cheap, the built in stealth really helps and if all they do is soak up tons of shots i will be happy.

Grabtanks are weird, the 4+ inva can really really save your bacon and the laser aint bad, but d6+1 damage means that even if both shots hit and wound AND go threw you average 9 wounds, so they are not enought.

Breachers would be overcosted....if i could not stick the dominus with stealth in to make a very tough unit, who with full re rolls puts out very solid fire power.

Over all game one was ok, the bitter bitter taste of 'free upgrades' has become worse, as every srgt in both armies had the same set of kit (p.sword and plasma pistol iirc for him)  and every unit in both armies had the same set of special weapons. Its almost like a flamer doesn't cut it when a plasma/melta costs the same weird that? Likewise Every skitarii unit had a omnispex...because why WOULDNT IT?  The is very very little choice left in the adeptus mechanicus army, and what little their is comes down to which combo of unit/hq you want to field. 

Eldar today, going to run the shameish list, will drop the hounds and dunerider for a knight armiger (melta/cc version) for a bit more CC threat. 

Ok game two of the edition vs Dark Eldar (i had missheard tho it would not alter anything) my list was:

Armiger Warglave.

I am not too good with the deldar names so his list was

archon with 10 warriors in a raider ( transport with 1 dark lance)

chief witch  with 10 witches' in a raider

evil dr guy with 10 wracks in a raider

3x raider with 3x dark lances ( the heavy support variant, wanna say raveger?)

10 sky surfer dudes alla highlander 2 ( wanna say hellions)

1 floating pain engine.

So first off this is where the detachment rules giant giant cracks show, the dark eldar pain token are not affected by being battleshocked, and you cant score turn 1, so he took about 3 secs to think and since your opponent selects his entire army became battleshocked thanks to rad bombs, which did nothing and affected nothing.  Not a single one of his units ever saw his deployment zone again so our detachment rules did nothing. Great stuff GW rules team, really playtested that one hard dint you.

Anyhow he got first turn and blasted the armiger, 1 full unit of sicarans off the board and did 4 wounds on a onager. Once more i find the onagers main feature is the 4+ inva, the gun makes the enemy assume the worse and so he targets the onager, but with high dmg low # of shots gun the 4+ is such a life saver. In first turn 2 turns he got 6 dark lance wounds on my onagers, i got a bit lucky and saved 4 out of 6. But even 3 saves makes SUCH a huge difference. Unfortunatly their main gun is just not straong enought, 2 shots that IF i dont move hit on 3+ means your normal day is 1 wound per tanks, and even if both go thru his saves on average thats 8-10 wounds, but when most tanks are 11 wounds that's.not enough. 

Breachers once more MPV, the stealth really helps, the FNP helps even more, they took out 1 dark eldar vehicles a turn every turn which bring me to my turn 1 i counter by taking out 1 raider ( archon) and 1 heavy raider (breachers) and some wounds on the second one.  Every heavy stubbers and skit shoots the dark eldar infantry that are not on the board and 5 inches from my sicarans, archon and 1 guy left, i charge  a FULL unit of sicarans our cc bois, and do nothing. WS 4 and str 4 with low number of attacks is just....meh.  Archon wipes them out. 

After that turn 2 and 3 devolved into the onagers/breachers tanking like kings (both onagers were down to 1 and 2 wounds by turn 3 and breachers lost 2 models) and lost 2/3 of the vanguard but i killed all his raiders and another heavy raider. Then the kastelans flattened the wiches and archon. We played on as i could not catch his helions and the last heavy raider but he could not line up shots without leaving himself open to the rest of the army. Game ended in a 9 vs 8 VP mech win. 

The thing that made me sad is that if i had included a datasmith with the kastelans (you know the guy whos only job it is to make them better) i would have lost the unit turn 3 as the archon is anti infantry 2+ so rather then 0 wounds he would kill 1.5 robots a turn, and in turn would have allowed the witches free reign (i got to them after dealing with the archon). So in effect the datasmith would be a 35 point DEBUFF on the unit, great stuff rules team.  Any lingering doubt about taking datasmiths is as dead as their unit is to me. 

Lessons, dark eldar warriors are scary...if they stay in the transport, they get a ton of shots and the raider is T9 10 wounds and FAST, for me they are better then withces or wracks and you have no need to ever get out of the boat. 

For mech, brothers sicarans are dead, they have been usefull so far as they suck up shots on early turns due to being infiltrated aggresivly, but once people figure out they are next to useless in cc now i dont think they will bother. High T, hight INV spam seems to be the way. Breachers are again High T, solid saves and with a domina plus relic steathed and FNP so they join this club.  Vanguard exists only to give re rolls to breachers, grab objs and die. Maybe you get lucky with a plasma shot i dont know.

I have no idea what i or mech in general will do vs a nid or ork horde, when they have monsters AND infantry in large numbers, try to recreate one of those famous 40k last stand artworks i suppose. 

On 6/19/2023 at 10:18 AM, Ulfast said:

Two very intersting battlereports and I do like your analys of the army. Sadly it seems my thought about ad mech at the moment is true. Which is not fun.

The main issue is that the index has nothing but issues. Half the units are overcosted and almost all of them have been nerfed. We have no real CC ability and what we do have is the kastelans.  Our detacment is a joke, and our army rules are at best okish.  The simple fact is its a movement based game, even if its just a 2 inch skoot to get line of sight  we CANNOT relly on heavy to make us accurate. I was moving 80% of the army every single turn. On the other hand gaining assault is not that much better ( tho it is better). 

The -1 ap in our deployment is nice but the units i found to want to camp all game (pro hint its the onagers) are not very worried about low ap attacks and with a 4++ ap-3 and up is going to inva with or without the decrease.   AP + 1 would be great! If it wasnt limited to the deployment zone. 

Like i am two games ins and already the knight/armiger freeblade choice is becoming a fixed reality.  Vanguard are ok, but at 100 points they just dont last long, and at 18 range you NEED to advance even if objs did not exist. 

Its less then a week into the points and already my lists building is solidifying into taking the best of what we have cause we dont have much and most of it is :cuss:. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

Lol, I actually must be crazy. Because the more I hear about all that is wrong with  ad mech, the more I want to think about sollutions to get them to wrok. I know it will be hard, even the guys at art of war says ad mech is the worse together with Death guards but still, can´t stop thinking about them.  

1 minute ago, Ulfast said:

Lol, I actually must be crazy. Because the more I hear about all that is wrong with  ad mech, the more I want to think about sollutions to get them to wrok. I know it will be hard, even the guys at art of war says ad mech is the worse together with Death guards but still, can´t stop thinking about them.  

Oh for sure. Not going to rage quit or sell the army, and i am trying to get as many game vs as many different armies as possible (this weekend is sisters and iron hands). 

But no amount of turd polishing will stop the index from being a turd, and the first step to combating a problem is acknowledging it. 

I am leaning heavily on knights/armigers as the fluffy solution to many of the issues.  I have since my games printed off a second one (i was planning on buying a box but the whole 10th thing does not make me wanna give GW any money atm).  And i think two armigers running up a flank together with some sicarans for cheap support could work. 

Intersting idea, I like it. i´m planning to get something extra and as you say, perhaps skip extra ad mech units and instead go with knight support. but it eems I really need to get some breachers. They are at least one of few good units we have and adly I right now got zero of those.

1 hour ago, Ulfast said:

Intersting idea, I like it. i´m planning to get something extra and as you say, perhaps skip extra ad mech units and instead go with knight support. but it eems I really need to get some breachers. They are at least one of few good units we have and adly I right now got zero of those.

Yeah, they are solid on their on, but with some skitarii near them (which also helps justify more vanguard) they become better, add in a dominus (dont forget the re roll also applies to the dominus while in the unit!) and the stealth relic and a 6 person breacher squads becomes a must have.   The fact that the gun is str 6 ap'2 and dmg 3 makes them good against just abut any non horde infantry, and even there if in rapid fire the number of shots is really good. 

1 hour ago, Ulfast said:

A second question is, are two such units to much or us that what we will in tournaments in the future (or perhaps even three units!).

They cost 300 points, its a fair chunck, more once you factor in the hq, and i dont think you can take relics twice, so you are not getting stealth on a second one.  With BS dropping for most armies and less re rolls around the stealth is in my view a true gem for this unit and not having it on unit two is a blow.

The other issue is skitarii coverage, you NEED the re roll. So with 2-3 units spread out you will need at least as many skitarii, but since they die super easily you might want more, which in turn is more points. 

Even at just 2x6 and say 3 vanguard that 900 points BEFORE characters. And you want dominus in them, and the stealth relic, so we are talking over half you army. I am not saying its not viable, but its something you would need to build the list around.  Tho maybe 1x6 with dominus and 1x3 on their on with some skitarii might work allot easier?  Plonk the small unit in cover near the home or near home obj and let them blast away all game from there. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

Hold on, so if I'm correctly understanding what you are saying one of our historically least accurate shooting units has actually become our most reliable option? This is a farce. Did they roll a D6 to decide whether to improve units or reduce their power rather than keep elements of the army consistent? :laugh:

Well done for trying out a few games to get some data.

33 minutes ago, Magos Takatus said:

Hold on, so if I'm correctly understanding what you are saying one of our historically least accurate shooting units has actually become our most reliable option? This is a farce. Did they roll a D6 to decide whether to improve units or reduce their power rather than keep elements of the army consistent? :laugh:

Well done for trying out a few games to get some data.

It has bs4+ always re rolls 1s and can get a flat re roll with skitarii near it. Can also get +1 some times if it does not move. But for the purposes of the index....its up there accuracy wise. 

Even the Magos Dominus is only BS3+ now. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

Real game scheduled next week so then I can feel the burn. That being said, the more I look at the index and the rules, the more I realize where the design team was coming from. Not saying they were right.

The design team totally over appreciated the benefit of doctrina imperatives. I’m sure they figured giving the army a natural 3+ and then allowing them to get a 2+ would be just way too powerful.

This then makes me think of the actual times spent play testing the rules. The fact they thought the gimmicky doctrina imperative rule was so important that they kept it over a natural ballistic scale of 3+ surprises me.

Just a small bit of play testing should’ve shown the weakness of this army instantly. 

I very much think that they rushed the 10th edition, likely, they changed it midway through production of what would’ve been a different style of rules. Obviously, they have been listening to online sources, competitive tournament players, etc. I think they took feedback and decided that what the community needed was the current Streamlined rule set.

Sure we wanted less complex, but not this simple, they could’ve done a much better job, keeping the flavor of the armies, and doing an actual playtest on the abilities. 

Thanks for making these reports! May the Machine God bless your efforts.

I never got any Kataphron because they used to be bad. I don't dislike the minis, but basically ended up going Skitarii horde. Just made it up to 60 bodies... for 30 of each.

Reading the Index, I'm definitely considering a herohammer build, as Marshals, Manipuli (?) and Domini are all significant force multipliers, and in truth I barely having anything more to put in the list:

2000 pts precisely:

2x Marshal

2x Manipulus

2x Dominus

3x Rangers (One of each character, or Marshal + 2 Manipulus for mass long range Lethal)

3x Vanguard (One of each, or 2x Dominus for forward FnP pressure)

2x Rust stalkers (outflank/harass)

2x Sulphurhounds (pure vanity - Reserved, probably - or wide harassment)

2x Raiders (backfield skirmish / DS Blocker)

2x Balistarii (backfield blaster)

1x Onager (same)

1x Infiltrators (early game trade)

1x 2 Castelan (front / centre)

Pretty wide build, but seems like enough tools to play the MSU game. Big question is whether to drop a unit for an enhancement suite. Emanation and Sterilisor would be cool, but in only 10 Skitarii bodies it feels like I don't want to spend more than 200 pts on 'Skitarii + character' in general, and I'd probably lose a Marshal or something, so hard to know. If we could just take 20 blocks still, that'd solve it as the characters would be that much more efficient; I could easily see taking 2x20s and 2x10 with 4 characters to lead...

I'm likely going Salamanders this week at any rate though, as I have to stretch a few conversions to get to the full 6 Leaders, and still shy 2 raiders (first 4 are Necromunda Helamites; using pair of Cawdor Ridgewalkers to get to 6).

7 hours ago, Ulfast said:

the more I hear about all that is wrong with  ad mech, the more I want to think about solutions to get them to work.

Yes - this - absolutely.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

First 2k game of the edition, its was against Blood Angel Space Marines. 

My list was 

3x Kataphron Breachers (full haywire) 150.

Armiger Warglave 140

Armiger Warglave 140

Ironstrider Balistarii 50

Blood Angel rolled up with captain, chaplain on bike, 3 man primaris biker unit, gladiator lancer x2, 2x 3 eradicators,1 x3 sniper primaris (with some kind of lascannon stat wise), 2x3 blade guard, 3x5 assault interseccors, 5 normal intercessors, 5 death company , 2x atv, 5 termies and a dreadnought ( primaris cc one) more or less. 

So step 1 entire marine armies goes battleshock because why would they not?  Step 2 marine goes first and his entire army exits his deployment zone and that was our detachment done and dusted....greeeeeeeeat stuff. 

He ran most things forward except the lancers who killed a armiger dead (he gets quite a few re rolls on this) the other one got atv+ eradicated+ sniper ( oathed it meaning even str 9 snipers wounded on 5s with a re roll) and he too joined the great household in the sky (should have deployed them less aggressively). 

Mech turn one my onagers took out a lancer, 3 units of vanguard plus 3 breachers wipes the snipers and 1 unit of bladeguard,  and the 6 strong breachers unit made that dread go poof. Not a single ironstrider managed to score a hit, i think they are in mourning over their weapons being 1 shot. I charged the 5 death company with 10 sicarans ( shot them too) he lost a model, i lost 5, fun times. 

Marine turn 2 he ran every thing forward again activated assault doctire (run and charge) and ran over all 30 vanguard, the kastelan ( they got eradicated), the atvs took 1 ironstrider apart while the bikers and chaplain ( they moved 18 turn 1, 18 turn 2 and charged) got into combat and killed another ironstrider. Most of his infantry failed their charges but the termies (deep strike) took the breachers down in assault ( i did kil 1 in overwatch) and the death company finished laughing at my sicarans claims of cc performance. 

My turn 2 saw me claim the ultimate moral victory by shooting everything (well the breacher blob, onagers and 1 ironstrider that was left)  at his bladeguard with his warlord killing them before charging everything  within range onto the his bikers with chaiplain and killing them too (you dont need full re rolls if most of your missed attacks are natural ones baby, also he failed like ALL his saves, all of them). Marine turn 3 he killed everything except the breacher blob and dominus who called it a day and teleported back up the Ark mechanicum for White Russians and the finest oil baths the forge world can afford.

Lessons, i did not have the fire power to both have a shoot out and weather the assault, neither did i have the assault power to meet him head on. He realised this too so once he nuked the armigers (the lancers who can rely on a free re roll to hit, wound and damge dont have to rely on standing still and so moved to get line of sight) who i could not both hide from everything AND have them somewhere they could move up from.  Likewise even if i played first i could not ignore his shooting, but neither could i not be assaulted turn 2 unless i turtled in my deployment and gave up all objs. If i did it again i would probably turtle more, keep the armigers futher back so turn 1 they would not be in range of so many guns, and try and play the objs from turn 3 onwards, but if he scores 6 by them i dont think i would ever push far enough up field to over pass his lead. 

I really liked his list, the many small and cheap(ish) units worked really well, and having most of the shooting not having to rely on oaths for re rolls ( lancers and eradicators have it built in) means you can cover the rest with oath, but with enough CC running forwards that simply cannot be ignored.  The bikers+chaplain also put out some serious pain and they auto advance 6 with movement i think 12 meaning they go where they want, and on assault doctrine turn charge who they want.  If sicarans were better then maybe they could have over run the DC and posed a more immediate threat.  Or maybe i should have embraced their lack of use and deployed them as more of a literal road bumb. 

People keep killing my armigers turn one, so if they ever play i feel they MUST be as good as i think or they would not be picked on so bad. 

Plus !!!MORAL VICTORY!!!

3 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

People keep killing my armigers turn one, so if they ever play i feel they MUST be as good as i think or they would not be picked on so bad. 

They hit like trunks if you let them, 12 dice on the tank shock (against non-vehicles) will hurt. Issue with allying them is they don't have the defensive buff from being in a pure knight force (lose of FNP and rotate ion strat0. Plus the themal lance is a multi-melta that is still anti-vehicle (S12 and melta 4). 

So yeah they are decent.

I think I need to get two also! They sounds good, just hope they survial more then one round :) But good lesson from the game. Seems you in the first round gave a lot of damage back to the marine player. 

So had another game, 2k this time. 

Core of my list was the same but with some tweaks:

Belisarius Cawl

3x Kataphron Breachers (full haywire) 150.

1x 5 man infiltraitors 2x 80pts

Armiger Warglave 140

Armiger Warglave 140

3xSydonian Dragoons.

I wanted to try and form a spear tip with the dragoons and armigers going up one flank, the dominus and breachers with some skitarii holding down another and Cawl forming a stealth castle  in the middle with small unit of breachers, onagers and the last skitartii.   

Unfortunately my opponent brought one of the worse lists i have ever seen which resulted in a easy and quick mechanicus victory ( grey knights, 2x techmarines, 3x servitors, 2x strike squads in rhinos, purifiers and deamon blade special chracter in razor back, an empty land raider, 5 termies and a special +3 to charge character in deep strikes in reserve with a grand master on baby walker joining them).

He did some scout moves and then got turn one and moved forward, killed 1 breacher and 2 skitarii. (he really focussed the breachers). His grandmaster gets to deep strike turn 1 only to then charge the breachers, lose 3 wounds and get -1 ws to the dominus data spike (start of fight phase) and then beaten up by the beachers ( who also overwatched him before hand) and die.

My turn one i killed the land raider and both rhinos with shooting (plus some of the passengers), then wipes both strike squads with the armigers and sydonians.  His purifiers charged into the dragoons and killed one lost a grey knight in return and his termies showed up and killed an onager. My turn 2 the entire armies opens up on the termies and wipes them, while the armigers charge into the purifiers and between tank shock and normal attacks also wipe them. 

I did not understand his list, i did not understand his playstyle or plan. I did enjoy the dragoons and armigers getting to fight ( and winning doesnt hurt). 

33 minutes ago, Ulfast said:

Another nicr victory. Its intersting to see that we do have a couple of things that workd.

His list/play was really really bad.  You know that pokemon meme where a pokemon casts confuse and then the other one hurts itself in the confusion. It was like that only i failed to hurt myself.   I did not get a chance post game to talk to him about his list, and there might be some Grey Knight tricks he did not pull off. But to me driving up in rhinos/razorbacks, fielding so many techmarines/servitors, having a land raider whose squad is going to deep strike so negating the transport side of said raider and having your army basically come in waves ( turn 1 grandmaster, turn 2 termies and maybe rhino bois?) just seems insane.  Charging a unit that has anti vehicle on everything plus a character that has EXTRA anti vehicle rules with your vehicle character is insane.  Like even if the dominus fluffed the ability and the grand master stayed 3+ to hit, its still vs  T7 unit with 5++5+++ and 3 wounds a pop, who will hit back with full re rolls and attacks that specialize vs you. 

When I heard grey knights during deployment (he has like 4 armies) i was expecting a fast moving infantry based force geared up to creep up turn one and then time their assault with mass deep strike turn 2.    

Edit this was end of my movement TURN 1. 

123.jpg

Edited by Nagashsnee

Yes, it really do seems he buthchered his tactic in that game. You had full control. That nice, doesn`t happen to often :) But I think you alos played well with several nice units from ad mech list.

I had my first game yesterday. 2000p vs chaos daemons. Not ideal for our army but I just wanted to play and have fun. It was very close until round 4 when I feel apart and the daemons could win. His dices where hotter then mine so that was one negative thing for me :D But I really do feel that we can be dangerous and fight back. I need to play more but I was positive to the experince. The biggest drawback that felt very wrong was the bs and ws of 4+. That was hard and I missed so many attacks because of that. I really wished that we got 3+ back. Also strange to see our skitarii rangers/vanguards with only 5+ armour save. We really should have a 4+.