10e Sanguinary Priest vs. Libby with Jump pack

They are very similar but not the same

Both grant -1 to AP

Sanguinary Priest gives 5+ FnP and Librarian 4+ FnP but only against Psychic Attacks

So its up to You, better protection but with limits or lower but with wider range

They look pretty similar in terms of buffs but the Libby has a better melee weapon (Force Weapon is significantly better than a Chainsword) and is also 35 Points cheaper. I am trying to decide if the 5++ against everything is worth the extra 35 points. I suspect it might be as it effectively increases the durability of the unit by around 50%.

The jump librarian seems like the discount option who trades FNP for the squad for better melee and a decent shooting attack. 

Keep both in your collection and use whichever one fits the bill for the intended use/what you've got the points for!

I've posted this elsewhere, but I think that you need to take the actual leader unit's combat prowess into account when measuring what their buffs are worth. The Libby's combat prowess is slightly better than a VVet, with an extra 2 wounds and solid shooting attack so I put his raw stats at around 35 points as compared to the VV's 26).

This would mean his buffs (extra pip of AP plus a 4+ FNP against psychic) cost 40 points for the squad (75 minus the 35 for his raw stats). This further breaks down into 6.6 points per model for a squad of 5 (plus Libby), or 3.6 per model for a squad of 10.

Moving on to the Sanguinary Priest.

Buffs aside, a SP has the exact same offensive and defensive profile as a regular assault marine, only with 4 wounds. A 5man assault squad is 115 points, so after adjusting for for special weapons/wargear, I think it's safe to say that a vanilla assault marine is 20 points. Let's give the priest an extra 5 points for the extra wounds for a total of 25.

This would mean that the sanguinary priest's buffs (extra pip of AP plus a 5+ FNP against everything) cost 85 points (110 points, minus the contribution of his raw stats). This breaks down to a whopping 14.1 points on a squad of 5 (plus priest), or a decently more palatable 7.7 on a squad of 10 (also including SP).

One thing the priest does have over the Libby is that a squad with a priest can also take a captain, whereas a squad with a Libby can't. 

@Karhedron Whether each or either is worth it or not is up to the individual, your particular meta, and how many points you have to play with. I really don't think the priest is worth it on a squad of 5 VV's or RAS's, but certainly could be in a big squad of VV's with storm shields for some serious durability. I think the libby can be worth taking in a squad of either 5 VV's or RAS's, and is kind of a no-brainer in squads of 10 if you're not taking the priest (especially with the VV's being locked into AP-1 weapons), but YMMV.

Edit: I just double checked the SP, and he's got an additional attack and a 2+ weapons skill of a vanilla ASM, making him a little better in melee than my original estimate. I'm not redoing my math, but since his raw stats are a smidgen better, the relative cost of his buffs would come down a little. Maybe a point per model in a squad of 5 and a half point per model in a squad of 10.

Edited by Paladin777