Librarians in the Death Company ....

3 minutes ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

Hail Brothers!

So I was wondering about this lately, and because we don't see any rules for them or even mention of it in the lore and novels ... I'm assuming when they get the Black Rage they lose their psychic abilities?

I don’t think it’s so much as they lose their powers as much as they simply don’t use them because they believe they’re sanguinius, and sanguinius can’t smite people.

but they can’t really make rules for absolutely everything realistically 

Re: the comment about Sanguinius not being able to smite...

Given how much of a monster Sangy was I actually wouldn't have been all that surprised if the writers had him khamehameha something out of existence at some point!

Edited by Paladin777

1 hour ago, Paladin777 said:

Re: the comment about Sanguinius not being able to smite...

Given how much of a monster Sangy was I actually wouldn't have been all that surprised if the writers had him khamehameha something out of existence at some point!

God I hope not.

a powerful seer should be the extent of his heresy era psychic ability.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

Most likely options a) execution by fellow librarian asap immediately as you are now dealing with a mad warp portal/uncontrolled psyker or b) insert psy-blocker and allow him to join the death company. 

Given the relative scarcity of psy blocker material, the fact it would be needed to be implanted into subjects head (to guarantee it doesnt fall off in fighting while he is still alive) and the usual slow onset of black rage, option a is by far the most likely, or said marine will be offered a death mission if immediately available and his decline has been noted. 

People always seem to forget that falling to the black rage is like rolling down a gradual slope - starts slowly and picks up speed on the way till you hit Horus at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Leonaides said:

Most likely options a) execution by fellow librarian asap immediately as you are now dealing with a mad warp portal/uncontrolled psyker or b) insert psy-blocker and allow him to join the death company. 

Given the relative scarcity of psy blocker material, the fact it would be needed to be implanted into subjects head (to guarantee it doesnt fall off in fighting while he is still alive) and the usual slow onset of black rage, option a is by far the most likely, or said marine will be offered a death mission if immediately available and his decline has been noted. 

People always seem to forget that falling to the black rage is like rolling down a gradual slope - starts slowly and picks up speed on the way till you hit Horus at the bottom.

Fits a saying I’ve become fond of.

it happens slowly and then all at once.

Thanks for all your opinions and ideas on this. Definitely a couple I didn't consider, especially that once the Black Rage sets in they need executed immediately.

I just started thinking about this the other day and part of me felt like perhaps I found a glaring hole in our lore?!?! lol.

On a related note, is stasis technology too rare and valuable to just throw brothers who fall to the rage into stasis if they’re not 100% too far gone and survive battle, or those who fall without an up coming battle even.

1 hour ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

Thanks for all your opinions and ideas on this. Definitely a couple I didn't consider, especially that once the Black Rage sets in they need executed immediately.

I just started thinking about this the other day and part of me felt like perhaps I found a glaring hole in our lore?!?! lol.

Idk if they get executed immediately since 1 guy does the executions for all of the blood…

callistarius was a librarian, and he was inducted into the death company, he didn't have his powers blocked, we dont know if he used them or not. But after getting trapped he overcame the rage (in theory) and came out with stronger psychic powers than before as Mephiston.

his mere story tells us that they dont execute or totally nullify a librarians powers if they get inducted.

11 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

On a related note, is stasis technology too rare and valuable to just throw brothers who fall to the rage into stasis if they’re not 100% too far gone and survive battle, or those who fall without an up coming battle even.

Idk if they get executed immediately since 1 guy does the executions for all of the blood…

I don't think stasis technology is that scarce.  Isn't Lemartes put into stasis between battles?

I must admit I thought Lamartes was sedated in a Sarcophagus rather than put into stasis between battles, but I don't see a first founding Chapter having access to a couple of stasis chambers and allocating one to a Hero Chaplain being inconsistent with it being quite scarce.

We don't really know how scarce stasis tech is. In one of the early books, Inquisitor Jaq Draco used it to keep the food on his ship fresh. He would get loads of gourmet cuisine cooked whenever he landed and then put it in stasis as soon as it was dished up. That way he could enjoy a great fresh meal whenever he wanted. Of course an Inquisitor might reasonably have generous access to tech that the rest of the Imperium regards as scarce.

5 hours ago, Cleon said:

I must admit I thought Lamartes was sedated in a Sarcophagus rather than put into stasis between battles, but I don't see a first founding Chapter having access to a couple of stasis chambers and allocating one to a Hero Chaplain being inconsistent with it being quite scarce.

Stasis pods have a long history in the Warhammer universe, as mentioned as far back as Jaq Draco, but they are not something that I would call "scarce", at least not in the galactic scale that 40k represents.  Magos Dominus are shown to use them as personal shields in one of the more recent mechanicum books, and older rogue trader books talk about having stasis fields in their holds to retain Xenos and livestock in their holds.

I don't think the average citizen is going to have access to stasis tech, but any of the various Adepta can get a hold of them.  Eversors are held in stasis between fights. 

It seems like access to OFFENSIVE stasis is much more exotic; DA have access to stasis bombs through their unique flyer, and stasis grenades have disappeared from the tabletop but do exist in some of the lore books.

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

We don't really know how scarce stasis tech is. In one of the early books, Inquisitor Jaq Draco used it to keep the food on his ship fresh. He would get loads of gourmet cuisine cooked whenever he landed and then put it in stasis as soon as it was dished up. That way he could enjoy a great fresh meal whenever he wanted. Of course an Inquisitor might reasonably have generous access to tech that the rest of the Imperium regards as scarce.

This reminds me of the captain that called up to the bridge and order a course change to get the sun out of his eyes

20 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

callistarius was a librarian, and he was inducted into the death company, he didn't have his powers blocked, we dont know if he used them or not. But after getting trapped he overcame the rage (in theory) and came out with stronger psychic powers than before as Mephiston.

his mere story tells us that they dont execute or totally nullify a librarians powers if they get inducted.

Agreed, but I think with him it might be because it was originally a complete fall to the red thirst rather than the black rage. IIRC until fifth Lemartes overcame the the Black Rage, and Mephiston the Red Thirst. In 3rd, Mephiston had to roll to see if he would stop to drink blood as a lingering effect of it. But back then the Flaw was less clearly distinguished.