bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part one of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week series!

Following the release of the 10th edition Index, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will discuss the units from the units found within Index: Blood Angels, parts two to four will discuss Index: Space Marines, part five will be Imperial Armour, and part six will be Legends.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Commander Dante

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you play Commander Dante?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? 
  • Sons of Sanguinius or Gladius Task Force?
  • What unit is he leading, if any?
  • What delivery options are you using? 
  • What deployment options are you using?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you.

Edited by Jolemai
Updated!

Should you want your model on display here (or on another thread), then submit a photo here please.

(Once I work out how best to float it!)

As an aside, the thread setup may change over the coming weeks until I'm happy with them. This includes the photos.

Dante has always been a beatstick of a Character and his 10th edition incarnation is no different. For 35 points more than a regular Jump Captain he gets +2A, +2S, +1W and a 2+ save. The Sustained Hits on his pistol is also a nice touch but likely to trigger only once per game at best.

I have not really played enough games to judge how powerful his Deathmask ability is. Battleshock with a -1 Penalty on all enemy units within 6" seems potentially quite useful and could easily tip control of a hotly contested Objective.

He can lead Jump Assault Squads, Jump VanVets or Sanguinary Guard. While he has some nice synergies with Sanguinary Guard, they are currently ridiculously over-priced so I would look at the cheaper squads unless/until the SG get their points corrected. Jump Pack Assault Squads are actually looking pretty good at the moment at just 23 PPM with a decent selection of upgrades. Also, Assault Squads now have a Primaris statline (check the number of attacks) so I have a hunch we will be seeing Primaris Assault squads before Sanguinala Christmas. The Assault Squad can use their Hammer of Wrath ability to dish out MWs on the charge (5 on average for a full squad). This will allow them to punch above their weight when dealing with tough opponents.

With stacked Charge bonuses, Ironically, Dante works better in a GSF than a dedicated Sons of Sanguinius detachment IMHO. Turn 1, move up and line up your charge. Turn 2, punch the Assault Doctrine and charge in with Honour the Chapter to give the whole lot Lance and an extra point of AP. Turn 3, use the Assault Doctrine to Fall Back, shoot and then charge in all over again for a fresh set of MWs and charge bonuses.

Dante's main weakness for this sort of use compared to a normal Jump Capatain is his lack of free stratagem usage. In the CP-starved darkness of 10th edition, this may not be a deal-breaker but it is certainly a point against him. Marines generally lack a way to easily generate extra CPs outside of Calgar and Azrael so you need to be mindful of which you Stratagems you use and when.

large.20230504_131456.jpg.0ece1788ca64d2

Agreed on just about all points. 

He really is a beatstick in his own right. Is agree that he's best in GSF, but 9 attacks at S8 on the charge can be really nasty into the right target!

if you're gonna spend the points on Dante, I feel like you may as well go whole hog with a 10 strong unit of either VV or RAS, further accompanied by a sanguinary priest. I could very well be wrong though.

However, I'm less than impressed with abilities that hand out battleshock to the enemy in your turn. It has absolutely no bearing on battleshock during the command phase, and the only thing that Dante's battleshock can do is deny the enemy from using strategems. That's not nothing, but it's also not much. 

Edited by Paladin777

16 minutes ago, Jolemai said:

Also makes them OC 0 should they fail which has it's benefits, no?

I guess if they become battleshocked in their turn you'd be able to get points on your command phase. That said, how many opponents are going to willingly remain in combat with Dante and his retinue and not fall back to just shoot him? Especially in this edition, and especially since Dante's ability happens at the beginning of the fight phase. 

however, if they become battleshocked in your turn, they simply regroup without penalty at the start of their next command phase. If they're below 1/2 strength then they would take battleshock as normal, but Dante wouldn't inflict any penalty on them at that time.

So yeah, the only effect inflicting battleshock on your opponents in your turn has is preventing them from using strategems. 

Edited by Paladin777

29 minutes ago, Paladin777 said:

So yeah, the only effect inflicting battleshock on your opponents in your turn has is preventing them from using strategems. 

I had not thought through the timing sequence of that but I guess you are right. That is a shame and makes that ability a bit less useful.

9 hours ago, Paladin777 said:

if you're gonna spend the points on Dante, I feel like you may as well go whole hog with a 10 strong unit of either VV or RAS, further accompanied by a sanguinary priest. I could very well be wrong though.

Agreed, I think a full 10-man squad is a must, both to maximise Dante's bonuses and also the protection offered by the Bodyguard squad. The Sanguinary Priest is definitely an interesting possibility but he is fairly pricey and has minimal combat ability himself. Still, an extra point of AP is definitely good and a 5+++ will help everyone.