Christmas Boxsets 2023

7 hours ago, Nephaston said:

I can already see people claiming how GW is obviously shifting leftover stock that doesn't sell because nobody plays the respective factions and 40k is surely doomed.

Whatever do you mean? I distinctly remember40k dying and GW going out of business last year. :p

I bet the Admech Battleforce would be horribly predictable again. A Blob of Rangers, a touch of Breachers, stir in the Kastellan Robots and add a pinch of a random unit. Probably Sicarans. Snore. I think they need to theme the lists more heavily. A cavalry list with some Dragoons supporting a unit of Sulphurhounds, some Ironstriders and Skitarii in a transport? Maybe a Flappy army with a Stratoraptor and a few Pteraxii? I don't know if it's a good idea but it feels better than what is pretty much just the old Start Collecting boxes over and over. Most Admech players must be able to swim through spare sprues of Skitarii and Kataphron by now. (I guess what I'm saying is another troop type would be really appreciated :teehee:

Edited by Magos Takatus

2 hours ago, spessmarine said:

Strong doubt on the nids box, the army release will be ~September, so scant months before battleforces. Usually there is a 8-16 month delay from big release to battleforce.

The July 2021 new AoS stuff appeared in a battleforce in 2022.

40k 9th edition stuff (2020) appeared in battleforces in 2021.

Actually Necrons got a battleforce in Christmas 2020 so the same time frame as this proposed nid box

38 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Actually Necrons got a battleforce in Christmas 2020 so the same time frame as this proposed nid box

Yes, but that battleforce only contained old models; the new Necron models from their 9th Edition release didn't appear in a battleforce until 2021. What @spessmarineis saying is that new models don't typically start featuring in battleforces until the following year, but this rumour includes a Norn Emissary which would only be a few months old by the time these boxes come out.

There's definitely been Battleforces with 'newer' models released that same year. Notably Soulblight and Slaanesh had Battleforces in 2021 which was all new stuff released that year. Sisters and Orks also had one that year which contained a few of the newer models (particualrly the Ork one). 

I think the 'youngest' models that have been in a Battleforce were the new Ork Boyz at four months.

Edited by Lord Marshal

18 hours ago, Flaherty said:

They released eight at Christmas last year, up from six from the prior five years, and 12 in total counting the ones they announced on boxing day. I expect we'll see more.

- Marines and Tyranids is a no-brainer as a bolster for the starter boxes.

- World Eaters with Angron seems likely, following the DG and TS boxes template last year

- The Ork Beast flavor makes perfect sense

Here are a few of my predictions:

- Eldar: They've only had one box in six years. A box with the Avatar of Khaine as centerpiece and the recent range refresh seems like a no-brainer

- Chaos Knights: Pure wishcasting, but I hope the Chainbreaker Lance gets its dark opposite this year

- Tau, Votann, and GSC also seem like candidates

Time to start saving!

FYI, Here are the ranges/release years since they kicked off this run of battleforces in 2016.

4:

- Tau: 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020

- Adeptus Mechanicus: 2016, 2018, 2021, 2022

3:

- Marines: 2018, 2020, 2021

- Necrons: 2018, 2020, 2021

- Death Guard: 2018, 2021, 2022

2:

- Space Wolves: 2016, 2019

- Astra Militarum: 2017, 2020

- Orks: 2017, 2021

- Imperial Fists: 2018, 2022

- Tyranids: 2019, 2020

- CSM: 2019, 2020

- Adepta Sororitas: 2021, 2022

1:

- DeathWatch: 2016

- GSC: 2017

- Craftworlds: 2018

- Drukhari: 2019

- Blood Angels: 2019

- Imperial Knights: 2022

- Adeptus Custodes: 2022

- Ravenguard: 2022

- Iron Hands: 2022

- White Scars: 2022

- Salamanders: 2022

- Ultramarines: 2022

As for when we can expect them announced, here's the historical trend:

2016 – November 15th

2017 – November 19th

2018 – November 5th (Two were teased on Warcom on Oct 28)

2019 – November 15th

2020 – November 16th

2021 – November 18th

2022 – November 7th (Four additional boxes announced on Dec 26)

CSM had a third battleforce in 2022 even if it was slightly delayed and themed as part of the Arks of Omens. 

IMG_0576.jpeg

4 hours ago, Redcomet said:

Wonderfull. We don’t even know what is in them and people are already bitter.

Y’all need to go outside and touch grass and maybe put the hobby away for a week weeks and experience something that actually makes you happy

I'm not going to go outside and touch grass, it is raining. :tongue:

I've also been ploughing my time into painting rather than learning rules so don't worry, I'll be fine. I'm just hoping GW can do something really different with the Battleforces this time and make it a more memorable year. I think Marine players probably feel the same about Primaris Battleforces as I do about the Admech ones. They seem to like throwing in a sampler of many different things in an army several times rather than theme them (apart from the Meme-worthy Phobos themed armies that people apparently strongly dislike)

6 hours ago, Redcomet said:

Wonderfull. We don’t even know what is in them and people are already bitter.

Y’all need to go outside and touch grass and maybe put the hobby away for a week weeks and experience something that actually makes you happy

Bitterness makes me happy. Hatred is its own reward! :biggrin:

7 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

There's definitely been Battleforces with 'newer' models released that same year. Notably Soulblight and Slaanesh had Battleforces in 2021 which was all new stuff released that year. Sisters and Orks also had one that year which contained a few of the newer models (particualrly the Ork one). 

I think the 'youngest' models that have been in a Battleforce were the new Ork Boyz at four months.

Yep, hence me saying 8-16 month delay.

Soulblight was May 2021 (7 months to December)

Hedonites February 2021 (9 months to December)

So maybe 7-16 month delay. WE and IG seem very, very likely for this year

Yeah I'm hoping on a prayer for a "Parking Lot" IG box.  I've managed to source a couple of Cadia Stands for REAL cheap, like even cheaper than the Combat Patrol box, so I wouldn't mind having a box that gave me like, 3 Lemans and a Rogal.

Or even more infantry.  More infantry is never a bad thing with the Guard LOL