Solar Auxilia – catch-all thread

18 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

I'm not sure! Did they give those details in the Age of Darkness black books?

I am interested to see what ground transports they give the SA. Am hoping they will go full circle and bring back Rhinos for Imperial Army (as that was always what IF had in Rogue Trader and 1st/2nd edition Epic, as the Chimera wasn't introduced until later) - although I do think that is probably unlikely! Although I may just use Rhinos anyway :geek:

We've seen the Gorgon-at-home ie. Dracosans already and it is very likely they'll put out the Auroxes next for smaller transports.

On 11/16/2023 at 3:52 AM, Xanthous said:

On that note of decals, I thought I'd break out the microscope and try and identify/speculate which Cohorts are on the transfer sheet. None of these are 100% certain, it's not a great picture. Apologies for terrible quality, I couldn't find any better, but, from the left:

2 Cthonian Headhunters?

3 Manachean Commonwealth

4 almost certainly Saturnyne Rams (one of the 10 original Cohorts)

5 Agathean "Lord Marshall's Own"

6 Ash Scorpions?

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Calth High Guard and the Arkadian Cohorts being here too, but I can't tell which ones. The ones above which I have marked with a ?, are also, in my opinion, likely to be present regardless of if I'm right about their placement.

IMG_20231116_023702.jpg

Cohorts are identified on the SA Vehicle sheet:

image.jpeg.833b9c48c6a5ce5bea0553496293b1e3.jpeg

So Theta-Garmon Deathless (black and white Cohort from Liber Imperialis) and Bormanite Devils (the green one so prominent in official photos) are 8th and 7th. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well just putting some Solars together and have to say, even though I've played Epic for many years while it has not been officially supported, there is something very nice about getting a shrink-wrapped box for the new game and putting them together! :happy:

So far, so good! The infantry are lovely and detailed and thankfully single-piece. Have decided to be a cheap-skate and just put one Ogryn per base though, and double my Ogryn-count :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Pacific81 said:

So far, so good! The infantry are lovely and detailed and thankfully single-piece. Have decided to be a cheap-skate and just put one Ogryn per base though, and double my Ogryn-count :biggrin:

I'm thinking of doing the same, maybe giving them a bit more dynamic rampage poses while at it, but mainly to try and reduce the overtly crowded look they have on small bases. I want to have a heap of them, but not in a dogpile :D

I can’t figure out why the Legiones Army List and Liber Army List are so different. 

Differences:

-Flamer Auxilia are Elite Veletarii in Age of Darkness but Regular Auxiliaries in Legiones

-Sub-Cohorts can’t take Rapiers, but the lore mentions Rapiers being the primary infantry support platform for Sub-Cohorts

-Armored Tercio math isn’t working, because to take a command tank you can’t take a third squadron of three battle tanks, so you could never actually have 10 tanks in a tercio in AoD

-Pioneers are mentioned as distinct from Veletarii but the Pioneer formation must take Veletarii

Just a personal thing but Axe only Veletarii is frustrating because running volkite veletarii in transports or Arvus seems like it would be a no brainer lore and tabletop. 

41 minutes ago, Haranin said:

They might be doing a detachment boxes in the future? Veletarri with multiple weapons spruce might make sense….

Not sure for Velatarii but at least for SM more heavy weapons squads are very likely since the Imperial Fists legion rules specify weapons on infantry models that only appear on those, like the heavy bolter and the plasma cannon. And if they get additional boxes a Velatarii box with other weapons also seems possible

Edited by Matrindur

9 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

I can’t figure out why the Legiones Army List and Liber Army List are so different. 

Differences:

-Flamer Auxilia are Elite Veletarii in Age of Darkness but Regular Auxiliaries in Legiones

-Sub-Cohorts can’t take Rapiers, but the lore mentions Rapiers being the primary infantry support platform for Sub-Cohorts

-Armored Tercio math isn’t working, because to take a command tank you can’t take a third squadron of three battle tanks, so you could never actually have 10 tanks in a tercio in AoD

-Pioneers are mentioned as distinct from Veletarii but the Pioneer formation must take Veletarii

Just a personal thing but Axe only Veletarii is frustrating because running volkite veletarii in transports or Arvus seems like it would be a no brainer lore and tabletop. 

I think it's based on the original set up from HH: Conquest. Flamer Sections were normal Auxilia and could only be taken if one had a Lasrifle Rifle section in the Tercio. The Storm Sections could be in Tercios all their own or with the others. So the set up for Lasrifle Tercios and their upgrades in  LI matches it pretty well (other than the Charonite upgrade) as does the ability to take pure Veletarii detachments, but not pure Flamer detachments.

I'm hoping we'll see rotor cannon and volkite Veletarii, too.

It is weird that Rapiers are Garrison units, I'm not sure what to make of that.

1 hour ago, jaxom said:

I think it's based on the original set up from HH: Conquest. Sections were normal Auxilia and could only be taken if one had a Lasrifle Rifle section in the Tercio. The Storm Sections could be in Tercios all their own or with the others. So the set up for Lasrifle Tercios and their upgrades in  LI matches it pretty well

Not just how it was in Conquest, but in Crusade Imperialis too. LI broadly goes with the 1st edition style of things like sponsonless Russes and tanks being able to kill marines more than once in a blue moon. The volkite and rotor cannons are probably in the works the same way heavy bolter and plasma cannons are for marines. 

10 hours ago, jaxom said:

I think it's based on the original set up from HH: Conquest. Flamer Sections were normal Auxilia and could only be taken if one had a Lasrifle Rifle section in the Tercio. The Storm Sections could be in Tercios all their own or with the others. So the set up for Lasrifle Tercios and their upgrades in  LI matches it pretty well (other than the Charonite upgrade) as does the ability to take pure Veletarii detachments, but not pure Flamer detachments.

I'm hoping we'll see rotor cannon and volkite Veletarii, too.

It is weird that Rapiers are Garrison units, I'm not sure what to make of that.

That’s kinda frustrating. You can’t iterate upwards at scale like that.