VM Project Warhorse Kick-starter

duz_

VM's kick-starter is live! Some awesome looking RR alternatives I've already pledged for a 5 man unit of Van Diemens, might do more at the end. 

There's 5 different designs. 

image.png.3e7abdf4bdfd21e08fc62d139fc10a03.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/victoriaminiatures/project-warhorse-rough-rider-miniatures

I'm tempted, never backed a Kickstarter b4,

I like and dislike the new gw rr:ermm:

My main gripe is the half caparison, it looks like half a bedsheet over the horse:laugh:

Whats siocast, is it like half resin and half plastic, why not just all plastic?:confused:

and if the answer is, well its cheaper, those aint cheap:tongue:

Tbh I'm not sure, there's some pictures of the prototype casts on her fb page when she went to a large event recently. 

They look pretty good

You can also just do the stl files and have them 3D printed

5 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Whats siocast, is it like half resin and half plastic, why not just all plastic?:confused:

From what I have seen mentioned in other forums Siocast is apparently a form of nylon based plastic that has properties similar to resin miniatures in terms of detail but depending on the formula can be closer to PVC in terms of hardness. It is cast using a process similar to the plastic injection for HIPS miniatures but with a lower mould cost.

I have seen it being used in many crowdfunding campaigns so far, but I have not bought any siocast miniatures myself so I am not sure if what is said is true or not, but most people seem to like the material, although it is certainly not the same as working with HIPS (likely closer to working with Resin or PVC).

13 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

I'm tempted, never backed a Kickstarter b4,

I like and dislike the new gw rr:ermm:

My main gripe is the half caparison, it looks like half a bedsheet over the horse:laugh:

and if the answer is, well its cheaper, those aint cheap:tongue:

Ooh err, I've had a quick look at siocast and hope I can give you a rough idea of differences in manufacture. Before I start I have to say that I'm not an expert in injection moulding, I just worked for a company that did it's own moulding with something like 20 machines. 

So if you want to make a million parts a year you're going to be injection moulding. The machines are massive and expensive to buy. They were also incredibly expensive in terms of electricity to use.  The moulds we used were great big chunks of metal that need a forklift or overhead crane to maneuver into position for tool changes. The tools were not made in house and at the time we were told that the bigger moulds we were using cost around £50,000 a time. They also would need maintaining/repairing. The plastic was in 6ft tall hexi bins on a pallet each weighing over a tonne. All of this takes space so you're going to need a factory to put it in. You'll also be employing a lot of people so you're going to need office staff such as human resources to legally run your company. It's the economy of scale in effect, even though you need a lot of up front resources you'll make it back in time because it's the cheapest, quickest, mosy efficient way to mass produce plastic.

I've always fancied having a go at hand casting. Though in terms of the mass market it's an absolute dead end because it's far too slow and involves to much handling. Also I'll have to get hands on with substances which I don't know much about so I'll probably be needing some ppe.

Then you've got 3d printing which costs a lot less to setup than injection moulding. It's a lot easier to do than hand casting but is immensely slow so not really great for mass or even medium production. Also the resin is a bit toxic so I'd probably want more ppe.

So I've had a brief look at this new proccesss. The proccesss of making a mould looks a lot cheaper and quicker than in injection moulding. Also it's apparently a lot nicer to work with than resin. So it looks like a good solution for a smaller company, such as Victoria miniatures, for producing a few thousand miniatures per year. 

Hopefully this helps a little. The only outlier in 3rd party in my eyes is wargames Atlantic. They seem to be using standard injection moulding. Which is why they're the only 3rd party that is significantly cheaper than GW. I love their products but I'm struggling buying what I want and I also note that they've got dozens of unreleased products on their website. I'm guessing they're having trouble actually making enough product. Probably a lack of capacity. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...