Question as I can't see the forest for the trees

Matcap86
Go to solution Solved by Mandragola,

Hi all, 

I've been looking into getting a "complete" experience AT ruleswise. I've invested (quite) a bit at launch, but then interested waned a bit, and now with the upcoming release of LI the interest is waxing strong again. 

I currently have 3 of the 5 older campaign books (missing The Defence of Ryza, and Crucible of Retribution) and the starter set with the updated rulebook. 

Now my question is: am I better off sourcing these final 2 campaign books, or should I just drop those and get the Compendium and Loyalist/Traitor Legio books?

Thanks for your input!

• Solution

I'd go for the loyalist and traitor books, the matched play book and either the compendium or the two campaign books. The matched play guide has my favourite set of missions in.

The compendium is almost purely a copy and paste from campaign books. Some parts of it have minor updates but in other areas they haven't even put in stuff that's been changed in the FAQ. It felt like quite a lazy production to me. As I do have all the campaign books I haven't bought it. Full disclosure: I did have access to a review copy.

If you're interested in the background stuff then the two campaign books might still be a good option. Carrying all of them around isn't the easiest thing though.

Thanks for the input! Didn't even realise the matched play guide was a thing. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be available anymore in my region. Though I understand the open war cards might have some overlap there? I do have those so that might solve that.  

2 hours ago, Mandragola said:

The open war cards are similar, yes. I slightly prefer the matched play book but it's not essential if you have the cards.

Cheers now I have a direction to go for :smile: