Refitting Venerable Brother Kordiges, Siege Dreadnought of the Imperial Fists

Started painting a Ironclad Dreadnought for my Third Company Imperial Fists army. I'm testing out a new yellow recipe on this project too. It's involves testing out layering in shadows and highlights to the piece as well as adding in an off-white basecoat to add extra warmness that I think my last project lacked. Paints are either from Army Painter or Citadel.

Here it is:

Prime with White Scars (C).

Basecoat Pallid Bone (AP) thinned 1:1 with medium

Add shadows with Goregrunta-Fur(C) thinned 1:1 with water

Layer Averland Sunset thinned 1:1 with medium

Add edge highlights with a 1:1:2 mix of Corax White(C), Flash Gitz Yellow(C), and medium

Layer Imperial Fists unthinned

Two coats of varnish with decals between (gloss then matte)

I'm always happy for feedback. In the meantime here's his current state.large.IMG_20230729_230529.png.5e420ee786acfc27b4ba677f39f33f01.pnglarge.IMG_20230730_004310.png.8f5c31dee8384848b5b8f0607f806082.png

More to follow as the paint accumulates.

Got some good progress today. On to corrections and then yellow. Here's what I've got so far today. Hopefully I'll have yellow on by the end of the day.

large.IMG_20230802_022013.png.8db11007fc977bbd2722161edb58c442.png

large.IMG_20230802_182138.png.4caed2da66ee6968b6fdebfe08c63692.pnglarge.IMG_20230802_205740.png.5ac2b627cd400e426321b3d74a256af9.png

Might need an additional coat of Leadbelcher on some of those silvers. Or perhaps a thinned brighter silver.

The aquila color is made by mixing Fulgurite Copper 1:1 with Blood Red from Army Painter.

I still haven't decided if I want to use those two purity seals or not yet so I'm keeping them ready to go.

Edited by Bilskirnir3124
typo

Progress by the end of the day. We have yellow at last! the majority of the yellow is a single coat of thinned (1:1) Averland Sunset. The feet have Imperial Fists on them as well.

large.IMG_20230803_003159.png.50514a1dbb69c62ecf6c1e8550e5d7a1.png

Obviously it needs a little clean up at the edges as some more detailing, but good progress for the day I'd say.

Now I need to figure out where some 3rd Company red can go on him.

Thanks. I'm starting to see it all come together. I'll be finishing up the Averland coat tonight I hope. I'll be testing edge highlighting between the Averland and Imperial Fists on the knee-pads to see if it shows through well, but still blends in with the rest of the color. If not I can stick another edge on it, hit it all with Imp Fist and then edge highlight.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to end up using those purity seals. I'll probably still hit the wax with some red while I'm waiting for other parts to dry. Try it out somewhere.

Well, I didn't get as much as I wanted done today. My back was not having all of the leaning over tonight. However, I still got a little done:

large.IMG_20230803_234519.png.66c24dd828547d4dee63ae587fa5179f.png

Got the siege drill (I think that's the name of the weapon) mostly coated in Averland as well as the missile pods.

The knees and lower torso are now also coated in Imperial Fists.

I also got some edge highlighting done on the feet and knee-plates. It's a subtle mix of Flash Gitz, Corax White, and Speed Paint medium to thin it out so I don't think it's going to show great in this picture. I was also pretty conservative with it. I ended up putting it on over the Imperial Fists coat as it just didn't show through at all when I tested it under the contrast paint. Might take a break tomorrow night depending on how my back is doing.