The End and the Death - Volume III

On 1/14/2024 at 1:38 PM, firestorm40k said:

They're usually released the same time; I had a notification yesterday that it was up for pre-order on Audible, so I added it to my wishlist on there :smile:

Audible? Or Kindle? 

I can't find Part 3 on audible anywhere to preorder? 

Guest Triszin
1 minute ago, TheWarmaster said:

Audible? Or Kindle? 

It sometimes doesn't appear until release date.

On 1/15/2024 at 6:32 PM, TheWarmaster said:

From my limited experience (the latest Ciaphas Cain book), Audible prompt people to pre-order based on titles in their library, but that pre-order option didn't appear via a regular search. Having said that, I've bought a few GW audio books on day-of-release from Audible - they're normally up the morning of release, so not long to wait. :smile: 

If (big IF) GW cared about this issue there is a relatively simple way around it.  Offer a subscription/membership service that provides a a unique reference number. ONLY members with a URN can enter the presale for a LE book and can only buy one.

Not everyone will get one but it might mean more actual fans and less scalpers get lucky?

Why do that though? Just put a 24hr or 5 day pre order window like 9 months out. After the window GW will print that many only and mail them direct to the customers so it doesn't take up shelf space.

That way you don't need to do any wonky subscription method. Also everyone who wants one gets one. Just drop the signatures (which you can nearly always get at black library events) to save the authors hand.

Edited by Subtleknife

10 hours ago, DukeLeto69 said:

If (big IF) GW cared about this issue there is a relatively simple way around it.  Offer a subscription/membership service that provides a a unique reference number. ONLY members with a URN can enter the presale for a LE book and can only buy one.

Not everyone will get one but it might mean more actual fans and less scalpers get lucky?

Not only is it simple, it literally could be a win/win for them if they rolled that into Warhammer+. They get better PR around book releases because it helps avoid stuff like last weekend and it boosts Warhammer+ numbers

44 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Not only is it simple, it literally could be a win/win for them if they rolled that into Warhammer+. They get better PR around book releases because it helps avoid stuff like last weekend and it boosts Warhammer+ numbers

Imagine the stampede, and accrued profits, if at similar cost they'd do "you get one LE book for free" as an option to pick instead of questionable quality minis.

And thus hook those people on LE books. And get everyone interested to buy them.

1 hour ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Seriously.  This is a way to add value to Warhammer+ at a 100% profit margin.  This needs to happen.

7 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

Why do that though? Just put a 24hr or 5 day pre order window like 9 months out. After the window GW will print that many only and mail them direct to the customers so it doesn't take up shelf space.

That way you don't need to do any wonky subscription method. Also everyone who wants one gets one. Just drop the signatures (which you can nearly always get at black library events) to save the authors hand.

Not sure what that solves? The idea of a Limited Edition is that it is “limited”. There is maybe 1000 made, numbered and signed. It is the exclusivity collectors want and the inherent value is in the limited numbers. 

7 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

I am simply amazed GW marketing team have not considered this (maybe they have). 

6 hours ago, DukeLeto69 said:

Not sure what that solves? The idea of a Limited Edition is that it is “limited”. There is maybe 1000 made, numbered and signed. It is the exclusivity collectors want and the inherent value is in the limited numbers. 

It solves the artificial scarcity imposed by GW which the scalpers take advantage of. 

I would also be very careful about suggesting 'what collectors want'. I have quite a few LEs. I couldn't give a crap about the number or what they are worth. I buy them as I like 40k and they look nice on my shelf. 

Personally I would be quite happy with more people getting the books if it meant we as a community were not getting preyed upon by scalpers.

The crapshoot that is the preorder on Saturdays isn't a good experience. I have seen a lot of people being turned off from buying LE books because of the lack of solution from GW.

4 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

It solves the artificial scarcity imposed by GW which the scalpers take advantage of. 

I would also be very careful about suggesting 'what collectors want'. I have quite a few LEs. I couldn't give a crap about the number or what they are worth. I buy them as I like 40k and they look nice on my shelf. 

Personally I would be quite happy with more people getting the books if it meant we as a community were not getting preyed upon by scalpers.

The crapshoot that is the preorder on Saturdays isn't a good experience. I have seen a lot of people being turned off from buying LE books because of the lack of solution from GW.

Then they aren’t be definition Limited Editions. I agree re artificial scarcity GW impose re Std HB and even paperbacks, but Limited Edition by its very definition is limited.

And just as you may not care about the signature or number, there are those who do. Horses for courses.

All that aside, I would like to see scalpers out of business.

On 1/19/2024 at 2:39 PM, Subtleknife said:

totally agree that making more would be good.

would just mean they'd need to "rebrand" as collectors editions, instead of limited  editions. DukeLeto69 is correct in that the point of a limited edition, is that its limited. But there's not really a reason it HAS to be a limited edition, the same product could be marketed as a collectors edition (I'm pretty sure that is actually how they used to market them years ago).

Tbh, the best solution I've seen people suggest is you have a 24 hour or maybe 1 week window where you can order, but it has a 6 month/9 month lead time like many of the made to order miniature things. Don't have ANY available for immediate purchase and then just fulfill orders for those that want it. People that really care will happily pay 6 months early, people that dont (scalpers) might opt to push their luck at times, but generally wouldn't.