The End and the Death - Volume III

3 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

totally agree that making more would be good.

would just mean they'd need to "rebrand" as collectors editions, instead of limited  editions. DukeLeto69 is correct in that the point of a limited edition, is that its limited. But there's not really a reason it HAS to be a limited edition, the same product could be marketed as a collectors edition (I'm pretty sure that is actually how they used to market them years ago).

Tbh, the best solution I've seen people suggest is you have a 24 hour or maybe 1 week window where you can order, but it has a 6 month/9 month lead time like many of the made to order miniature things. Don't have ANY available for immediate purchase and then just fulfill orders for those that want it. People that really care will happily pay 6 months early, people that dont (scalpers) might opt to push their luck at times, but generally wouldn't.

They are pretty different. I have a collectors’ edition of Scars that I managed to pick up from a charity shop a few years ago and it just looks like a regular hardback except that there is a fancy design under the dust jacket. The limited ones have that whole leather bound thing going on; a much more elaborate item. 

6 hours ago, Nephaston said:

This lil' here screenshot is allegedly from one of the scalpers refunding someone because GW cancelled all their orders.

Screenshot_20240121_070638_Reddit.thumb.jpg.ae8b77b649eae15b3cb7758e5bd1af18.jpg

I would say keep an eye out on the main store if some things go back in stock, just in case.

giphy.gif

Perhaps this was just an amateurish attempt where ordered multiple copies to same name and address, which GW have canceled in the past, or tried to order from Japan to a UK address, for example. The more experienced scalper will have set up different addresses etc which GW apparently don't pick up on much/ at all. 

28 minutes ago, crimsondave said:

What do you suppose was the straw that broke the camels back this time?  Why do something this time when they’ve ignored it for years?  The new website?

Glad they are.  This isn’t the first I’ve heard of this so I believe it’s probably legit.

I think it was the clown going around gloating about it that probably did it. I've not seen this level of moronic behaviour in the past and it may have been the potential bad press that this was generating. Thing is had this person not been bragging then it would have probably just been ignored and they would have gotten away with it and made a fortune.

1 minute ago, Doghouse said:

I think it was the clown going around gloating about it that probably did it. I've not seen this level of moronic behaviour in the past and it may have been the potential bad press that this was generating. Thing is had this person not been bragging then it would have probably just been ignored and they would have gotten away with it and made a fortune.

Also the quantities. I've seen some numbers floating around that 50-60% of the US allotment went to scalpers.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:31 AM, DukeLeto69 said:

Not sure what that solves? The idea of a Limited Edition is that it is “limited”. There is maybe 1000 made, numbered and signed. It is the exclusivity collectors want and the inherent value is in the limited numbers. 

Many people buy Limited Editions because they are a nicer version of something.  They want the format of the LE and don't care about the number.

I can't see why GW doesn't do a run of numbered LEs for those who want to number chase and then do a unnumbered MtO run.  That would allow those who just want the nice thing to not have to join the bun fight.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:38 PM, DukeLeto69 said:

Then they aren’t be definition Limited Editions. I agree re artificial scarcity GW impose re Std HB and even paperbacks, but Limited Edition by its very definition is limited.

That statement isnt really correct. There isn't a universally accepted definition of "limited edition". However alot usually include a restricted production. A 24hr pre order period would fit that particular definition so could be considered "limited edition". But as I have said above, it entirely depends on what definition you use. 

And just as you may not care about the signature or number, there are those who do. Horses for courses.

The difference is I haven't said "this is what collectors want". I am well aware there are some people care about signature and numbers. In my opinion, I think they would probably be in the minority and most would prefer a less stressful pre order experience over signature. This is pure speculation on my part.

All that aside, I would like to see scalpers out of business.

I completely agree with you. I just hope GW can find a way to please both of our view points as it would seem to me we are at either ends of the spectrum on this issue. How they can do that, I don't know.

22 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

totally agree that making more would be good.

would just mean they'd need to "rebrand" as collectors editions, instead of limited  editions. DukeLeto69 is correct in that the point of a limited edition, is that its limited. But there's not really a reason it HAS to be a limited edition, the same product could be marketed as a collectors edition (I'm pretty sure that is actually how they used to market them years ago).

"Limited edition" depends entirely on what definition you use. As far as I'm aware there isn't a single accepted definition. You won't find anything that says 2500 equal limited and 2501 isn't. Some definitions refer to low numbers others just require some limited aspect to the production.

So GW could technically still call them "limited edition". But collectors edition seems like a good comprise too.

Personally if they split them, I would quite like if they made the actual "limited edition" truly special. For instance, use actual leather and gold leaf etc.

22 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

Tbh, the best solution I've seen people suggest is you have a 24 hour or maybe 1 week window where you can order, but it has a 6 month/9 month lead time like many of the made to order miniature things. Don't have ANY available for immediate purchase and then just fulfill orders for those that want it. People that really care will happily pay 6 months early, people that dont (scalpers) might opt to push their luck at times, but generally wouldn't.

Totally agree this is my preference too.

Edited by Subtleknife

3 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

That statement isnt really correct. There isn't a universally accepted definition of "limited edition". However alot usually include a restricted production. A 24hr pre order period would fit that particular definition so could be considered "limited edition". But as I have said above, it entirely depends on what definition you use. 

The difference is I haven't said "this is what collectors want". I am well aware there are some people care about signature and numbers. In my opinion, I think they would probably be in the minority and most would prefer a less stressful pre order experience over signature. This is pure speculation on my part.

I completely agree with you. I just hope GW can find a way to please both of our view points as it would seem to me we are at either ends of the spectrum on this issue. How they can do that, I don't know.

"Limited edition" depends entirely on what definition you use. As far as I'm aware there isn't a single accepted definition. You won't find anything that says 2500 equal limited and 2501 isn't. Some definitions refer to low numbers others just require some limited aspect to the production.

So GW could technically still call them "limited edition". But collectors edition seems like a good comprise too.

Personally if they split them, I would quite like if they made the actual "limited edition" truly special. For instance, use actual leather and gold leaf etc.

Totally agree this is my preference too.

I think we are arguing over semantics and I have no desire to perpetuate that. The thing that actually matters is true fans can’t get the product they want without being fleeced by scalpers and that sucks.

Good to see GW have actually taken action, but I think I'd have preferred them just to dump the extra copies back on the store at the same time as the announcement. Yes I know that means people who aren't in the loop at the time might no get one, but it also means the scalpers don't have 2 days to get their bots lined up for another run at the webstore.

6 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

I get that the timing might be inconvenient for some due to work or other commitments but I'm glad to see GW at least doing something to combat it, and moreover at least putting an article out stating that there was a problem

Would've been nice if they took some ownership of the problem and shown a little contrition, but can't have everything. Not convinced the scalpers won't get most of these too.

(Ownership in sense of their part in allowing it to happen in first place due to terrible website etc)

Edited by skylerboodie

10 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Good to see GW have actually taken action, but I think I'd have preferred them just to dump the extra copies back on the store at the same time as the announcement. Yes I know that means people who aren't in the loop at the time might no get one, but it also means the scalpers don't have 2 days to get their bots lined up for another run at the webstore.

Hopefully they might get dissuaded by the cancellations. (also I'd reckon their accounts might be tagged by GW now, as would any new accounts between now and wednesday).

10 minutes ago, skylerboodie said:

Would've been nice if they took some ownership of the problem and shown a little contrition, but can't have everything. Not convinced the scalpers won't get most of these too.

(Ownership in sense of their part in allowing it to happen in first place due to terrible website etc)

Well yeah, I would really appreciate that as a customer for them to come out and say "listen, we know things have been rough, this is why, it's our bad, here's what we are doing to fix it," it would help restore some faith in the company on my end. But it's never going to happen, I believe that it's because they don't want to scare investors but you could insert any reason in there and it would probably fit. I'll take this for now

*edit

I will say this, if after this they revert back to the only queue system (no captcha like last weekend) and things revert to being a disaster, I think that will be the most unforgivable thing to me. This is a good first step into fixing things, but it cannot be the only step, or rather just a temporary step

Edited by darkhorse0607

Well fingers crossed all those genuine collectors can get a copy this time. 

My major concern is the repeated issue I am having with the Warhammer website where every time I try to log into my account it takes me back to the home page time and again. When I copied and pasted my warhammer account page address it got stuck in an endless loop so had to quite the browser window. This new website really is a travesty of poor design and poor function.

Good luck to everyone who wants one!