The End and the Death - Volume III

14 minutes ago, skylerboodie said:

Well scalpers would've had a weeks notice on Deathwing Assault box from Sunday preview. Ultimately it's the product itself;  for Deathwing, the minis will be available again soon individually so no demand to pay multiple times their value from scalpers. [No one really cares that much about the special edition codexes.] For Black Library limited editions, once they're gone, that's it - you won't be able to get that edition again in future. 

They didn't have a week's notice to the changes that GW made to the que was more what I was thinking of with regards to the Deathwing box.  Product also 2as a clear factor.

5 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

I recently saw a set of the HH black books on eBay with a 3.5K price tag.  makes you wonder who pays these kind of crazy prices?

That's what I said before: there's a subset of the community that severely overvalues the books and is now surprised it's become a target for scalpers. At the risk of repeating myself: used to be that you could get second-hand HH books for like 5 bucks. Now everyone thinks they struck gold and it's 40 for some dog eared ten year old paperback. Some collector groups fancy themselves experts with "curators" valuing books and of course driving up prices like crazy. In 2019 I could get the black books for retail or a bit less. Now apparently they're investments. 

Edited by Matcap86

1 hour ago, Matcap86 said:

That's what I said before: there's a subset of the community that severely overvalues the books and is now surprised it's become a target for scalpers. At the risk of repeating myself: used to be that you could get second-hand HH books for like 5 bucks. Now everyone thinks they struck gold and it's 40 for some dog eared ten year old paperback. Some collector groups fancy themselves experts with "curators" valuing books and of course driving up prices like crazy. In 2019 I could get the black books for retail or a bit less. Now apparently they're investments. 

It's not just HH.  About a year ago I bought the first Gaunt's Ghost omnibus from GW for £15.  What I didn't know is they don't produce the next two omnibus for some bizzare reason so the only way for me to continue reading to buy second hand.  Frustrating but no bother I thought these are mass market paperback omnibuses usually the lowest value of book editions.  I was shocked to discover they regularly sell for £80 and can reach over £100.  It's absolute madness that buyers are pushing up regular paperbacks let alone special editions.  Also means anyone buying the first book which GW still produce have no access to the rest of the series much the same as the current HH strategy.

5 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

You should see the state of wallapop where I live (it's a bit like ebay, but only buy it now). It's full of bdly painted minis at ridiculous prices that would have been about 50cents a piece only a few years ago. It's not uncommon for still in production miniatures to cost the same as BNIB

6 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

Back in 2019, I think it was only the ones in print you could get at or under retail. Even back in like 2019/2020 era, books 4-6 were unreasonably priced, at least from my not-so-thorough search. I thought they weren't worth it then, can't imagine whatever inflated prices are worth it now.

7 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

It's society.  Every fandom across every genre is experiencing the same thing after it sees any sort of small success.  Layer in the economic situation of a lot of people and it just gets gross.

Part of the reason I stopped involving myself in Magic:The Gathering was the financials around it.  It wasn't too expensive to play, but you had to have a side gig as a card salesperson to involve yourself in the community.  It was exhausting.

17 hours ago, Mechanicus Tech-Support said:

I mean to be fair the limited edition of emperors legion did sell for 999£ at one point

Is that for real? Cause I have one and...well at that price I would just sell.

I see there is currently 1 on Ebay for 470 pounds, unsold.

Right that's me turning off most Warhammer related content on the internet.

The inane rush to dump spoilers all over the internet just to be the first is baffeling to me. Just enjoy and let other people enjoy the book. Don't skip through it as fast as possible to dump factoids that will get regurgitated and misinterpretated by half the fandom for the next year or so. Already saw internal art yesterday of 2 characters fighting, which was mislabeled as other characters. Can't even read the damn sentence next to the picture before it needs to be copy pasted for the clicks. 

Just waiting for the yelling/pointing face YouTube thumbnails with spoilers in the title. 

/rant

3 minutes ago, son of the forest said:

Not only did I not get the limited edition book but the replacement hardback I ordered hasn't even been shipped by GW so now I have to play dodge the spoilers 

My book hasn't been shipped yet as well, maybe it's related to me ordering as a guest :confused:

Edited by OpossumStrong