The End and the Death - Volume III

53 minutes ago, Vassakov said:

Amazon seems to be suggesting a 1 February 2024 release date, which is a Thursday so take with a pinch of salt....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Death-Horus-Heresy-Siege/dp/1804074888

Clearly coming out at the usual Feb Black Library Celebration pre-order nightmare day. Expect multiple limited editions released at once and horrendous Queue-It system with much disappointment all round.

56 minutes ago, skylerboodie said:

Clearly coming out at the usual Feb Black Library Celebration pre-order nightmare day. Expect multiple limited editions released at once and horrendous Queue-It system with much disappointment all round.

And this is why I shall be ordering the standard hardback from my LGS (which is actually a book shop!) Plus I get 20% off, which helps. 

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Shield-Captain said:

Has anyone received a shipping confirmation for the LE (US based)? I was lucky enough to nab one but my order status is still listed as pending:teehee:. No one has had an order be cancelled have they? 

I think this is also a two-week preorder period like most releases at th moment, so not due out until 4th Nov

On 9/28/2023 at 2:03 AM, OttoVonAwesome said:

And this makes you mad?

It does. Because BL should have been upfront about the fact that the ending was going to be this long, when they initially said we would have 8 books for the Siege. Considering the amount of filler present in Volume I, I'm concerned we will have more of that in the next two volumes. I still hold out hope Mr. Abnett will make the extra pages worth it and a series that has overstayed its welcome can finally end.

2 hours ago, Dornfist said:

It does. Because BL should have been upfront about the fact that the ending was going to be this long, when they initially said we would have 8 books for the Siege.

They couldnt have known Abnett would go back over what others had done, and go wildly off the rails and not follow the plan.

2 hours ago, Dornfist said:

Considering the amount of filler present in Volume I, I'm concerned we will have more of that in the next two volumes.

Based on early spoilers, it would seem to be the case for Book 2 (of the final 8th Book) as well, but we will see if its 2/3rds filler like the last one.

9 hours ago, Scribe said:

They couldnt have known Abnett would go back over what others had done, and go wildly off the rails and not follow the plan.

Are we not even pretending BL is in charge of BL and its products anymore?  I feel like between their 4 hour pub lunch, 2 hour power nap and 1 hour and 58 min inter departmental meeting the HH editing team MUST have at least send him a 'GO CRAZY' via email or something when he first told them he wants/needs/desires more then 700 pages. 

Did no one really have to ok the 2 extra books? Re negotiate the commission and profit margins? Ask the printers what timetable they would need etc?  

Cause let me tell you when i tell my management team i need to go over time at the very least they ask for my very good reasons to do so.  Part of running a publishing business is still managing the talent no? 

As for going back over what others have done again, they do employ editors? I know kyme is mostly focused on padding his summer house with salamander 'books' (40k-30k-0k there are all the same in quality and value...DONT BUY THEM KIDS!)  but he is still employed with others i assume as  editors no?  They could have you know....edited the drafts.

like i dislike ALLOT of what Dan is doing in this last 3 books, but he is only part of the issue of why they are 3 books in the first place.

Edited by Nagashsnee

I can't imagine any situation where anything that happens at the end of the Heresy could be considered filler. Is this what ya'll want like and then emperor kills horus and sits on his throne the end go play 40k who cares. No cuase and effect no context no epilogue for wich there should probably be an entire series of books on it's own. Prolly read lord of the rings and were like well what's all this crap with shelob or rohan? Tom Bombadil well that was pointless... How come the hobbits are always singing this has nothing to do with the one ring. Glad Dan Abnett is writing it and not you guys. Geezus if you hate it so much why are you even still reading it it's not like you don't know how it ends.

30 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I can't imagine any situation where anything that happens at the end of the Heresy could be considered filler. Is this what ya'll want like and then emperor kills horus and sits on his throne the end go play 40k who cares. No cuase and effect no context no epilogue for wich there should probably be an entire series of books on it's own. Prolly read lord of the rings and were like well what's all this crap with shelob or rohan? Tom Bombadil well that was pointless... How come the hobbits are always singing this has nothing to do with the one ring. Glad Dan Abnett is writing it and not you guys. Geezus if you hate it so much why are you even still reading it it's not like you don't know how it ends.

Dramatic overreaction aside.  Its not about the worth or interest about what it is being written but rather when in the siege series it is being presented.  

Its funny you mention LOTR cause its what most people want, a logical build up of the story leading to a finale and then a epilogue to close our story off. All of it having been build up carefully by the preceding books.  

Now to use your own example, imagine you took Return of the king, and added a whole extra book ( or even two!) to it.  Imagine they started inserting Sarumans doings in the shire during the siege of Minas tirith. Imagine part 1 of Return of the King had frodo reach mount doom at around the half way mark but then he just kinda did other things for 2.5 books.  Imagine they did all this AFTER they had marketing tell everyone one it was going to be a 3 book series. 

Would it still be a timeless classic?  I WANT the lotr, instead we are being given the film version of the hobbit, and as much as some people enjoy those films, i think they are burdened with lots and lots of filler.   If you hate people stating their views on the book so much why are YOU even reading review posts? Geezus indeed mate. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

16 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

I think we are past filler personally, one page of this series I turned and it just cascaded polystyrene packing peanuts until I hurriedly moved on!

Talk about dramatic overreactions flinging face-first into hysterical hyperbole.

My FLGS signalled they got my copy of the new book today and I cannot wait to get my hands on it. Dan Abnett with full creative freedom is what I want.

4 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

Talk about dramatic overreactions flinging face-first into hysterical hyperbole.

My FLGS signalled they got my copy of the new book today and I cannot wait to get my hands on it. Dan Abnett with full creative freedom is what I want.

Yes, i very seriously had actual packing peanuts fly out of my book and pile up on my lap, very distressing actually :P