The End and the Death - Volume III

On the one hand, nice that it's coming out so soon after Volume 2. They were all written as a single book; there shouldn't be long, long periods in between releases where the author is actually working on each individually.

On the other hand, I've really come to hate the way Black Library/Games Workshop treats their customers with the whole limited edition release model. They have comprehensively and systematically torched all of my goodwill by this time.

On 11/2/2023 at 9:04 AM, OttoVonAwesome said:

I can't imagine any situation where anything that happens at the end of the Heresy could be considered filler. Is this what ya'll want like and then emperor kills horus and sits on his throne the end go play 40k who cares. No cuase and effect no context no epilogue for wich there should probably be an entire series of books on it's own. Prolly read lord of the rings and were like well what's all this crap with shelob or rohan? Tom Bombadil well that was pointless... How come the hobbits are always singing this has nothing to do with the one ring. Glad Dan Abnett is writing it and not you guys. Geezus if you hate it so much why are you even still reading it it's not like you don't know how it ends.

The Lotr has several lengthy sections you could tear out of the book or heavily shorten and it wouldn’t damage they story in any way. So not really the slam dunk you put it out to be

It is odd how little fanfare GW seem to be giving this. I mean it's the end of a near 20 year project spanning multiple authors and hundreds of novels, short stories, audio dramas and novellas. I mean this is the telling of the story that basically brings 40k into existence. The whole reason the Emperor ends up on the Throne and the Imperium goes to heck. I just would have thought it would be getting a bigger to do about it. 

3 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

Can we know who will be the 2 figures portraited in this one? Each LE has 2 color portraits so... The Emperor and... who else? Horus has already been done.

Fo or Oll? Just guessing, but Fo has to do something relevant eventually I would think?

2 hours ago, Mogger351 said:

Honestly at this point I'd be shocked if it were still the emperor on the throne by the time vol 3 is done. I feel they've been angling to some curveballs.

The skeleton on the throne is a fake and the Emperor is chilling on a beach somewhere together with Ferrus ghost and Vulkan?

And when Guilliman went to the throne he sat there for hours before Emps called via the tiny phone booth on the side.

9 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

The skeleton on the throne is a fake and the Emperor is chilling on a beach somewhere together with Ferrus ghost and Vulkan?

And when Guilliman went to the throne he sat there for hours before Emps called via the tiny phone booth on the side.

I'd love that but I can't help but think Malcador never gets off the throne as my personal theory. The ghost Ferrus was... weird, I can't say I've been a fan or what the point was there beyond the explicit show of power. What bothered me most is the fact Dorn has been a backseat character for the entirety of vol2 and seemingly only included as a reminder he exists. I'm hoping vol3 gives him more purpose. Given how advanced the assault seems in Vol2 I'm also not sure how they actually pushed the enemy back out, so that'll be interesting to see.

Guest Triszin
15 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

It just occurred to me; the reason they may be dropping this ahead of the Celebration could be so their 'big announcement' on the day can be The Scouring - after Part 3 spoilers are already out in the wild.

Yes I'm wearing tinfoil, why do you ask?

My hope is pandemonium gets announced in Feb.

And that end and death part 3 says " continued in pandemonium"

Edited by Triszin

5 hours ago, Mogger351 said:

I'd love that but I can't help but think Malcador never gets off the throne as my personal theory. The ghost Ferrus was... weird, I can't say I've been a fan or what the point was there beyond the explicit show of power. What bothered me most is the fact Dorn has been a backseat character for the entirety of vol2 and seemingly only included as a reminder he exists. I'm hoping vol3 gives him more purpose. Given how advanced the assault seems in Vol2 I'm also not sure how they actually pushed the enemy back out, so that'll be interesting to see.

Best explanation I've heard is from John Blanche who says that the skeleton is just a front and the actual emperor is just a bunch of organs floating in jars inside the Golden Throne. Can't get much more grim dark than that! :laugh:

The only real parts that genuinely interest me of this trilogy is if someone still sacrifices themselves to try and save the Emperor and how the fight finally ends between him and Horus. 

The last custodian definitely will.  Oll will also come back in play, might not intentionally sacrifice himself though.  Only one in doubt is if they will bring back a sacrificial Imperial Fist Terminator or not.

Edited by Robbienw

Ill bet Oll, A Custodian, an Imperial fist terminator and implausibly a random guardsman all enter the room at the same time because the clocks have stopped (etc etc) only to trip into a tangled heap, breaking the tension in the room and leaving the Emperor and Horus laughing.

Then Big E stabs Horus when hes distracted :P VICTORY!

I look forward to the garbage website moving like a crawl while I attempt to buy this book, causing it to sell out before I can finish checking out, followed by me having to line the pockets of some scalper on eBay to complete my set of LE books. Regardless this will be the last LE book I bother purchasing from them. If I wasn’t already so far into the collection I would just pass on it.