Armoured Company

casb1965

After a long hiatus I'm looking to get back in to 40k.

I have a few tanks kicking around in an unfinished project and am looking at making an Armoured Company. 

I currently have:

1 Leman Russ (all variants)

3 Leman Russ (Battle cannon)

2 Manticore

1 Stormlord

I think I have some metal Kaskrin somewhere.

Is this a good basis for an Armoured company and what else would you suggest adding?

First of all, welcome back!

You'll find that tanks are strong this edition; but, that cuts both ways. For an Armored Company, you'll probably want some form of anti-tank to deal with high Toughness. I would thus suggest that you field the first Leman as a Vanquisher. 

As for additions, people have gotten good performance out of Rogal Dorns, I think. Sentinels are also fluffy and strong.

Not wanting to be contrarian right away, but the Vanquisher is unfortunately in a pretty bad place once again. It's single shot just isn't going to do enough. The Demolisher is probably the most reliable gun for big damage.

Overall, armoured lists are absolutely viable though. They need to lean into sufficient support elements, like Sentinels to improve your hit chances and Hellhounds to tie up enemy units. If they can do that, a core of tanks can do good work.

Artillery is also in a good place, but needs the support elements even more.

Whether a superheavy is useful or not entirely depends on the terrain set up your local games are using and whether you'll be able to move it around. And you want stuff like heavy weapon teams, ratling or ogryns to sit inside and make use of the firing deck.

Finally, all armoured lists love a few deepstriking Scions to score objectives for you.

I agree about the vanquisher.  The vanquisher is nearly as bad now as it was back in 8th.  A single shot that hits on 3s and wounds on 3s?  That's just terrible.  

I find that heavy tanks in general in 10th are very hard to kill, including being impotent against one another!  The best solution is probably a couple of heavy lascannon batteries, if you can keep them alive.  I'm currently building my first one.  I would say park them in an ADL with good fields of fire and support them with orders.  Maybe Creed inside a chimera?

You'll definitely want to get some scout sentinels for their special rule and to maximize the utility of reinforcements.  You'd get the most points value out of reinforcements by taking squadrons of 3, but given that they're not that easy to kill and that the special rule is the main reason for taking them, I think 2 is the right number.

I'm also seriously considering fielding my shadowsword.  It's hyper-specialized and not going to accomplish much if there are no high-T targets for the volcano cannon to address, but I do see the meta shifting in favor of models with T10 and better, and it's now I think the cheapest variant.  Your stormlord is pretty cheap, too, and will always have good targets, but it also doesn't really provide any niche capability.  But it is easily worth a pair of russes, so why not?

Consider hellhounds.  They're annoyingly tough and the special rule is almost as good as the scout sentinel one.  In fact, in combination, they can be electric.  

Kasrkin are decent, but excessively expensive.  To make them worthwhile, I'll hurl them at the enemy and when they die, I'll resurrect them into strategic reserves to walk on the enemy's board edge and blow the token guard force off of a deep objective.  I like to give them a castellan so they can have two orders active.  Take aim is always on, but depending on the situation, the second one might be move move move or FRFSRF.  Obviously, they lose his support when they go into phase 2.

You probably want some troops with OC2.  Two schools of thought.  One is take squads of 20 and just eat the attrition.  The other is squads of 10 with transports to get them on the objective alive.  If you go that route, you have to decide between Chimeras and Tauroxes.  Chimeras cost more, but they're tougher and add dakka.  Tauroxes are cheaper and faster.  Probably the two best types of squads are vanilla and Cadian.  Both have decent special rules, although my Cadians' sticky objectives haven't come into play for me yet.  Probably the more important question is whether you want a heavy weapon in the squad.  I've gone with Cadians in Chimeras.

Apparently, IG artillery is pretty powerful right now, but I don't use it, so I can't add anything of value there.  In fact, the only indirect I own (besides some old metal cadian mortars) is a pair of griffons.  I was excited to see them get a datasheet, but disappointed in the bitterly mediocre stats, although the special rule isn't bad.

That's given me plenty of food for thought. Definitely need to get some Scout Sentinels and my Kasrkin could be fielded as normal IG infantry.

I agree about the Vanquisher, it doesn't do enough shots to warrant its cost, what are your views on the Exterminator, giving an extra pip of AP for other units shooting opens up -3AP on Manticores, especially good if those Scout Sentinals are spotting for you.

7 hours ago, Spyboy said:

I would prefer different colours or models between the three regiment squads but ultimately if you have some way of marking the difference I don't care.

I envisage the different roles being from different "regiments rules". They would be clearly different units.

On 9/7/2023 at 12:58 PM, casb1965 said:

Working on a TO&E for an armoured company now, what are peoples views on mixing unit rules from Cadia, Krieg etc within the same army?

They just have different specializations/equipment. At least that is how I do mine as they all have the same scheme.

• 1 month later...

So after a holiday and short illness I'm back working on my AM army.

Castanaran 1st

From the remnants of the Kellersburg 7th and other destroyed regiments the Departmento Munitorum, alongside the Inquisition and Inquisitor Ximénes de Cisneros, formed a new Regiment based on the Shrine-world Castanar, the home world of Inquisitor de Cisneros.

Under the nominal control of the Ordo Sepulturum, the regiment and Inquisitor de Cisneros are tasked with searching out and destroying any instances of Warp-based plague and virus.

The Castanaran 1st are a Combined Arms Regiment organised as follows:

CHQ

Company Commander - Leman Russ Tank

Command Group – Infantry Command and Support

Forward Command Vehicle – Chimera / Taurox

1st Tank Platoon

3 Main Battle Tanks – Leman Russ

Reconnaissance Section – 1 Sentinel

2nd Tank Platoon

3 Main Battle Tanks – Leman Russ

Reconnaissance Section – 1 Sentinel

Armoured Infantry Section

Section HQ

3 Infantry Combat Groups

4 Chimera / Taurox

Artillery Section

2 Manticore

Engineer Section

Engineer Group – 1 Enginseer, 10 Engineers, 1 Crassus

Recovery Vehicle – Trojan

Heavy Tank Section

1 Baneblade or variant

WIP to follow now I know the basics of how I'm setting up the force.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, casb1965 said:

WIP, start of a Rough Rider unit and Lord Solar Leontus

image.thumb.jpeg.9eda347653ff852000cb0aa0dbad29da.jpeg

Using AoS  Gryph-chargers and third party legs and arms to go with Cadian torsos and heads

Very cool, they sound like they'll look amazing when done