New C:SM Detachments using Blood Angels

Dont-Be-Haten

New jump pack boys with hammer of wrath 4+ mortal wounds look fun for us.

Codex: Space Marines – The New Detachments Aren’t Just for the First Founding Chapters - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

Edited by Jolemai
Added link to new thread

3 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

True, but if we're being honest, they seem to be just RAS marines with less options. 

sorry for being Debbie downer. 

I'm not sure that's necessarily true.  We've gotten very little about the jump intercessors beyond a few pics.  The pic in that article shows a guy with a plasma pistol and chainsword.  I think it's a bit early to be pooping on them quite yet.  You could very well be right and that's just the sarge, but we don't actually know.

20 minutes ago, Paladin777 said:

True, but if we're being honest, they seem to be just RAS marines with less options. 

They seem to have lost special weapons and eviscerators, so yes they’ve gone back to classic assault marine options. A mild shame to lose the guns, but not the end of the world tbh.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely plan on making up the assault intercessors I've got still on the sprue with eBay jump packs myself, and I don't have any RAS's anyway. However, considering that Assault intercessors are already ASM without jump packs or weapon options, I imagine these guys are the same, just with the jump packs.

if it was a true1-1 transfer with new primaris-scale models I'd honestly be pretty excited, but I just find it kinda hard to get particularly excited about a new kit that's almost identical to the old kit except for significantly less options. Hence the assault intercessors with jump packs instead of one of the new kits. 

I'm increasingly thinking that this lack of notable in-squad options is how GW is trying to balance units in the era of 'free wargear.'

@Rhavienthe fist is better than the hammer in most cases right now anyway, to be honest. I agree with the rest though.

Edited by Paladin777

I think access to the 7 main detachments, plus our own unique option, without any restrictions/requirements will be great. It's nice that they're letting us play as whatever 'flavour' we prefer, without being forced to use x number of a certain unit in order to unlock things. It's probably going to mean that I use different detachments in different games, as I tend to mix up my army composition to use different units from my collection.

I do like the sound of Stormlance, as getting units into easy charge range is a big thing for me when I go melee heavy. It'll probably be one of the first I try. I'd expect Vanguard to be popular in tournaments, given how strong shooty armies tend to be.

As for the new Jump Assault Intercessors, I think it's nice that we have them but it's another variant of bolter and/or chainsword marine, of which we already have bucket loads. I'll probably run some in an anti-infantry role, but assuming they allow our Death Company to use that jump loadout I'm more likely to run them in black and red - depending on the points difference. As Intercessors and DC Intercessors are the same points I don't see why a jump unit wouldn't also be the same. I guess the main advantage of the regular version is having the OC to move quickly onto objectives without needing a chaplain.

Fixed loadouts definitely helps for the points balancing with the system in 10th, and it does speed up games when you're not rolling dice for 7 different weapon types in a squad of 10. It just means we need to look more towards vehicles and fire support for high strength damage output, where before we could 'hide' extra fists/hammers. Probably better for the game overall, less fun from the hobby/building perspective.

I think having the option to build an old codex themed company out of all primaris is now possible. 6 intercessor squads, 2 jump squads, and 2 desolator squads with a command squad sounds great for crusade.

10~20 dudes deepstriking in with a chance to charge for a chance at mortal wounds will never be a bad thing. 10 jump packs offering free mortal wounds with no cap by simply ending in engagement range means you have a chance to do some really special things. That one time your dice get hot and you cause more than average mortal wounds makes the load out acceptable for me.

The name of 10th edition is speed. You need to be able to cover board space effectively, and while out riders and atvs are BiS for this, jump marines give you the ability to deepstrike, move at comparable speeds, and fits the current way to win games.

On 9/21/2023 at 3:23 PM, Paladin777 said:

That’s exactly what they are. Just like primaris DC are just DC with fewer options 

On 9/21/2023 at 3:39 PM, DemonGSides said:

I'm not sure that's necessarily true.  We've gotten very little about the jump intercessors beyond a few pics.  The pic in that article shows a guy with a plasma pistol and chainsword.  I think it's a bit early to be pooping on them quite yet.  You could very well be right and that's just the sarge, but we don't actually know.

There’s pictures of the sprues out now.

not enough special anything to have loadouts any more fun or flexible than assault intercessors.

Goonhammer review:

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-space-marines-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/?fbclid=IwAR0msyZOSRqB-cQV3Pfsf5OcGMO0VjPH8CR4Di7H_1Mq0bzaYo1sg-i1PmE

It's a shame Tactical Marines couldn't have both Tactical Flexibility and Combat Squads (the latter has returned to replace the former) - I was getting some mileage out of them with the SoS Detachment. :down:

As I've said before: I'm putting jump packs on a squad of assault intercessors and calling it a day. Now that SG can only have 1 fist per 5 (my 8+ancient had 5 fists... no, I'm not bitter), I've got plenty of extras, and my bits box abounds with plasma pistols!

I'll get a brutalis eventually though. Those are pretty sweet!

multi-melta's with rerolls to wound (eradicators and OoM) did very well at the RTT yesterday!

Edited by Paladin777

On 9/30/2023 at 9:57 PM, Jolemai said:

Goonhammer review:

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-space-marines-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/?fbclid=IwAR0msyZOSRqB-cQV3Pfsf5OcGMO0VjPH8CR4Di7H_1Mq0bzaYo1sg-i1PmE

It's a shame Tactical Marines couldn't have both Tactical Flexibility and Combat Squads (the latter has returned to replace the former) - I was getting some mileage out of them with the SoS Detachment. :down:

They'd need to go up in points if they did - which would be fine.

But generally most units get a single ability. And the one tactical squads had in the index didn't really stack as well with the gladius detachment, or with lieutenants. So both things have more utility with tacticals now.

2 hours ago, Paladin777 said:

As I've said before: I'm putting jump packs on a squad of assault intercessors and calling it a day. Now that SG can only have 1 fist per 5 (my 8+ancient had 5 fists... no, I'm not bitter), I've got plenty of extras, and my bits box abounds with plasma pistols!

I'll get a brutalis eventually though. Those are pretty sweet!

multi-melta's with rerolls to wound (eradicators and OoM) did very well at the RTT yesterday!

Yes the mental image of a Libby Dread just picking up and flinging Eradicators, DC Dreads or Invictor battle suits around the board to cause mayhem is pleasing.  Puts huge screening deployment pressures on the opponent knowing that can turn up anywhere anytime.   

While characters lose access to inferno pistols (other than the chaplain), Vanguard Vets get to keep the option for some reason and that's more than I expected. 

Still, all my captains need a loadout swap now. I guess now's as good a time as any to magnetize. 

47 minutes ago, Paladin777 said:

While characters lose access to inferno pistols (other than the chaplain), Vanguard Vets get to keep the option for some reason and that's more than I expected. 

Still, all my captains need a loadout swap now. I guess now's as good a time as any to magnetize. 

perhaps an indication that a new kit to represent them may show up when blood angels get done and its future proofing?

52 minutes ago, Paladin777 said:

Jump Captain still gets access to the Storm Shield and Thunder Hammer which was a pleasant  surprise as they don't seem to be in the new kit.

Terminator captain has lost access to TH's and Storm shields though. 

honestly the more I hear about the individual data sheets, the more I'm not sure the positives outweigh the negatives in this particular codex.

i have a single captain (out of 5) with a legal loadout and that's my gravis captain. My terminator capt (karlaan with a converted combi-weapon) has a hammer. Since the arm with the hammer is molded with half of his cape, he's basically a dead model unless I do some incredible surgery. 

I guess I'm gonna use the terminator librarian for a while instead. Sustained hits is pretty good anyway!

Edited by Paladin777

The Termite datasheet appears to have already been future proofed:

This model has a transport capacity of 12 Adeptus Astartes Infantry models. It cannot transport Jump Pack, Wulfen, Phobos, Gravis, Centurion, Terminator, Obliterator, Possessed or Tacticus models (excluding Tacticus Character models that began the battle attached to a non-Tacticus unit)

Hopefully this will be in play for the Rhino and Razorback Datasheets (and whatever else requires it).