Gritty nids, considering finishing touches for the colour scheme

Kastor Krieg

Trying to think how to finish them off. Surely will want to do some stark color contrast in the eyes. Despite the real light reflections, the carapace / claws / hooves are all flat off-grey. I'll surely drybrush them a bit to get the same effect as the focused light gives here.

Not sure if I should bring out more color in them. Tempted to do colourful (teal, cyan, turquoise, etc) sponging to mimic crab carapace. The pairing of gritty, washed and drybrushed flesh and those pinkish discolorations with green/blue palette carapace? Or should I stay with the grit and just make the carapace dull, blackish and oily? Get into more glossiness of wet parts, maybe even UHU effect?

KzDY6OP.jpgiPx7ZDq.jpgaj1Gn6q.jpg

Looking good, I like the glazing on the flesh. 

From the top model, I think models always look 'off' until the base is painted a different colour, so maybe paint that and see if your eyes are still drawn to the same space?

Otherwise, the black/Grey I think could do with a recess shade (not coming through in the images) to add some depth.

The pink eyes are cool and work well, my other suggestions would have been yellow, to contrast with the pink. 

I think it looks great as is, and woudn't need the sponging, unless you want to try it out. 

Agreed with Xenith, I think it looks lovely as is, the beige and pink flesh contrasts nicely against the dark carapace - as you say just a light drybrushing and/or wash to pick out the details and jobs a good'un I'd say! 

Love the fluorescent eyes by the way :biggrin:

Edited by frankendoodle65

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Evil Eye said:

Very nice, looks properly insectile!

Thanks! That was the idea, a bettleish carapace. Glad it comes through! :)

15 hours ago, Brother nathan said:

Looks great. Whats base plan?

Thanks! Something dark and light brown, to contrast with the miniature - I have Vallejo Thick Mud (26.811 Brown Mud, it's the darker of the two) and Mig Ammo 2109 (Vietnam Ground Texture, a more rust colored, lighter brown) set aside. So something done with those, I think.

3 hours ago, Jud Cottrell said:

Love the metallic purple! Really does come through. Solid work.

Thanks! 

I've started the same pattern on larger beasties. Some overspray I'll need to fix with a brush and add the reddish tones + gloss over those, but happy to see it seems to work in all scales :)

WXarOiJ.jpg

znO3clD.jpg

7n4X0nm.jpg