Board size and deep strike

Go to solution Solved by Madao,

Finally been dabbling in 2000 point games with my new sparring partner, and one thing we've noticed is that the board seems very cramped. We're using the pair of foldable, reversible thick card boards from the Ultimate Starter Set, which I believe are the official size for Strike Force games. What we've found is that each of us ends up screening deep strike without even trying. It seems like there's no reason to start anything off the board because it's never going to get a chance to arrive anywhere near the opponent's half of the board (let alone deployment zone) or in a position that makes them rethink their plan. In every one of our games so far, my terminators have arrived in or just outside my deployment zone on turn 2 or 3, plinked off some combi-weapon shots outside of rapid fire range at something that doesn't care at all, then failed a charge and sat there looking suitably embarrassed while they get whittled down in successive shooting phases by guns with a range of 'yes'. At the same time, there literally isn't enough room on corner deployment missions to start everything on the board, which seems to more or less force us to drip feed units into our respective deployment zones. I get that 66 x 44 is the "minimum recommended" size, so are most people / tournaments playing on larger boards or something?

24 minutes ago, Madao said:

Two boards are only a half of a battlefield for 1000+ points, so maybe the problem lies here

Are you sure? Each board is 30" x 22.4" according to the store page, and the core rules gives 60" x 44" as the board size for both Incursion and Strike Force (p.59). I do find it weird that 1000 point and 2000 point games are supposed to use the same size battlefield, but there it is.

Boy, is my face red. You need 4 boards. We can either play on a board that's too short or too narrow. Dang it.

Edited by Lucius_The_Temporary
I can't count lol