Eldar 'Second Wave' Rumours

4 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

So this may indicate the eldar codex is close (ish)?

:ermm:

Not really, the roadmap shows us Necrons and Admech will be the only ones in Winter. Spring will have DA, Orks, Custodes, Tau and CSM. While theoretically there could be more in spring its unlikely as 5 are already quite a lot. So at the soonest it will be summer 2024 which means June, July, August

Edited by Matrindur

I'd expect Karandras to coincide with the Codex release, but maybe they'll drop it sooner if they're planning a much bigger refresh to come alongside the book. If they do that many new models though, pretty sure that means the Aeldari are still going to be bonkers strong as they're going to want to sell lots. 

3 hours ago, Halandaar said:

If there is going to be a Warp Spider Phoenix Lord it would not at all surprise me if it were stylised as female, but ultimately it's just an armour design choice, right? Potentially every Phoenix Lord can be either male or female because the individuals who founded the Aspect temples are long dead and their roles and armour have since been taken up by Exarchs who could be either; there are after all male Howling Banshees. For all we know the current Fuegan is female and the current Jain Zar is male. I suppose the question is how much the personality of the original Phoenix Lord (and other occupants of the soulstone) influences/dominates the current wearer, and whether an individual is even identifiable or if they are effectively just hive minds in suits of armour.

Anyway that was probably over detailed and/or headcanony when probably the main consideration for most people will be "but will the armour have boobs?"

Out of curiosity, where is it stated that current Fuegan is female and JZ male?

15 minutes ago, Ayatollah_of_Rock_n_Rolla said:

They said "For all we know", ie, we don't actually know the gender of the eldar that became the current Fuegan and Jain Zarr :)

This would make me insanely happy if true, it's about time all the aspects got covered (well, Shadow Spectres aside :P). Just hope that once the Fire Dragons drop there's only one tactical rock for the exarch (optional), or none at all... the recent Scorpions got me a tad concerned on that front.

Kinda surprised on the lack of Karandras too, but I guess maybe they're making up for time since Dire Avengers have been in plastic for ages but never got their Lord.

4 hours ago, Chapter Master Valrak said:

As always video linked below but will put the summary in the post.

Aspects:

• New Swooping Hawks (Linked to KT Apparently)
  • New Fire Dragons
  • New Warp Spiders

Phoenix Lords

• New Asurmen
  • New Baharoth
  • New Fuegan
  • New Warp Spider Phoenix Lord

Enjoy :)

Thanks for the rumour and the TLDW :) couple extra questions:

- Was there an expected release date (season/year) mentioned?

- Was it remarked upon that _only_ updated aspect warriors stuff would be released, or could that just be what your source was more interested in (ie, could we also see more corsair/harlequin/ynnari stuff, new craftworld defense forces, perhaps even entirely new aspects...)?

21 minutes ago, Ayatollah_of_Rock_n_Rolla said:

It isn't, it is speculation on my part hence "for all we know" i.e. we do not have enough information to be sure one way or the other. 

What we do know is that Eldar society is generally a meritocracy with no bias towards one gender, that Aspect Warriors can be either gender, that any Aspect Warrior can potentially become an Exarch, and that when a Phoenix Lord is slain, their mantle is taken up by a new Exarch. Following that chain logically, there is no reason at all that a female warrior couldn't eventually become Karandras, for example. 

Yes Banshees are a bit of an outlier in that they typically are female, but not exclusively female so the same applies. A male warrior could, potentially, become Jain Zar. To the Eldar it doesn't matter either way.

45 minutes ago, Progenitor said:

If they do that many new models though, pretty sure that means the Aeldari are still going to be bonkers strong as they're going to want to sell lots. 

The idea that new kits always have strong rules is just a myth really, we just notice and remember the times it happens. Just look at the Dark Reapers. Shiny new plastic kit yet they have been nerfed into irrelevance in 10th edition.

Well every aspect has a phoenix lord, not all of them are particularly notable though! That can change easily enough though, whilst, say, the first warp spider might have died like a punk millennia ago and been buried in rubble since, they could always rise to prominence in the modern era.

As for gender, some of the aspects are gendered, some aren't, prominently, all howling banshees are female when they have their war masks on, including Jain zar, regardless of what they are normally. There was a quote about it somewhere that indicated a couple of other shrines too but I forget!

Either way a femme phoenix lord makes sense for warp spiders given the typical associations, though I hope it's a big spidery model, lots of spiky/gun arms

4 hours ago, -DonCorleone- said:

I wonder if the forge world Irilyth and Shadow Spectres will get plastic treatment

Hope so, once these rumoured models (and Karandras) are in plastic, it's only what... the unique Autarch and Illic that need the plastic treatment? Then maybe we'll start getting some FW ones in plastic alongside inevitable new stuff.

As much as I may joke it is good to see different factions getting strong releases. 

The Aspect Warriors so far have been great so I'm sure these kits will be too.  Aeldari have some beautiful kits now. I would love to do an Aeldari army but cannot justify it as I play so little :(

3 hours ago, Jscarlos18 said:

Nice. If that's true I think that would leave Drukhari and Tau being the factions with the oldest kits.

Not even close! The entire Drukhari range is no older than 2010. Even after these updates Eldar would still have Dire Avengers, Wave Serpent, Fire Prism/Night Spinner, War Walker and Wraithlord which predate that by about 4 years. That's to say nothing of the Vyper and Falcon which are from 1998, and the Autarch Skyrunner which is still using the 1994 Jetbike frame! Even the posterboy Space Marines have about 10 kits still in production that are older than every Drukhari model there is.

Tau is a different proposition but even their oldest kits (the Hammerhead/Devilfish and the various Kroot metals which seem to be about to replaced) are newer than the Land Raider, Chaos Bikers and Catachan Jungle Fighters!

A new Karandras would be nice, but I imagine I'd be wanting to convert him a fair bit after what they did to poor Maugan Ra, who went from one of the coolest models GW has made to Flanderized MOBA champion. I'm more interested in the Aspect Warriors themselves, Warp Spiders especially. The current models are very, very old, though I personally rather like them (even if the Exarch pose is a bit...odd...). And yeah, if we got a Warp Spider Phoenix Lord then I'd be all for another female. Even if it makes very little difference with those prissy elves anyway! :biggrin: I will also say Shadow Spectres would be cool in plastic, they were neat in Inquisitor: Martyr.

A new Vyper (and Falcon) would be interesting; obviously the fit and finish would be much improved but I wonder how much they could actually upgrade with the sculpt itself. The design of both were basically perfect the first time round- more detail on the weapons would be nice I guess?

7 hours ago, Evil Eye said:

A new Karandras would be nice, but I imagine I'd be wanting to convert him a fair bit after what they did to poor Maugan Ra, who went from one of the coolest models GW has made to Flanderized MOBA champion. I'm more interested in the Aspect Warriors themselves, Warp Spiders especially. The current models are very, very old, though I personally rather like them (even if the Exarch pose is a bit...odd...). And yeah, if we got a Warp Spider Phoenix Lord then I'd be all for another female. Even if it makes very little difference with those prissy elves anyway! :biggrin: I will also say Shadow Spectres would be cool in plastic, they were neat in Inquisitor: Martyr.

A new Vyper (and Falcon) would be interesting; obviously the fit and finish would be much improved but I wonder how much they could actually upgrade with the sculpt itself. The design of both were basically perfect the first time round- more detail on the weapons would be nice I guess?

With the falcon vehicles, the only thing that could really do with an update is the pilot sprue, which also has a few of the guns and gubbins iirc

15 hours ago, Progenitor said:

I'd expect Karandras to coincide with the Codex release, but maybe they'll drop it sooner if they're planning a much bigger refresh to come alongside the book. If they do that many new models though, pretty sure that means the Aeldari are still going to be bonkers strong as they're going to want to sell lots. 

Not nessacarily. I could see GW holding him back to release with a campaign book to juice book sales. If I was GW corpo I would pitch it at a meeting.