New Noise Marine Kit: What Would You Like To See?

LSM

When the Emperor's Children receive a Codex, Noise Marines will get a new kit. I'm curious about what others want (or expect) out of it. From how many bodies, to the weapons provided, new options, alternative builds, etc.

I'll stick my lengthy thoughts in a spoiler below:

Spoiler

To begin, I decided to have a look at the current kits for the other three Cult Troops. (I'll note that all are three-sprue kits.)

RUBRIC MARINES
Bodies: 10 Legs + Tabbards, 11 Chest Plates, 10 Back Packs, 20 Shoulder Pads, 10 Heads
Weapons: 10 Bolters, 10 Warpflamers, 1 Soulreaper Cannon, ~2 Force Stave, 1 Bolt Pistol, 1 Warpflame Pistol
Accoutrements: 1 Icon, 2 Sorcerer Hands, 1 Cape, 1 Scroll, 2 Sorcerer Shoulder Pads, 2 Sorcerer Heads 

Perhaps it's important to mention what this replaced. The previous generation of Rubric Marines was a metal/finecast upgrade kit for the basic CSM box (like the current Noise Marines) - it included an Aspiring Sorcerer with Bolt Pistol and Force Weapon, and enough Heads, Chest Plates, Shoulder Pads, and Bolters to make eight Thousand Sons (the CSM kit having good parts for an Tzeentch Icon bearer already). They were not discernably of a particular mark (unlike Jes Goodwin's originals, which were explicitly MkIV).

So right off the bat we see that they're a full ten-model unit, and back to all being MkIV. These are still the old, less mono-pose style, with less dynamic poses (admittedly fitting for their lack of autonomy). The Sorcerer has gained some build options, but the biggest thing here is the entire new weapon options: Warpflamers (and pistol), and the Soulreaper Cannon. These greatly expanded what Rubric Marines had been (since 3rd). Also notable to me: none of the Shoulder Pads have sculpted Thousand Sons symbols, despite Rubric Marines being the Cult Troop most associated with a legion. (Indeed, the unit was straight up called 'Thousand Sons' instead of Rubric Marines.)

PLAGUE MARINES
Bodies: 7 Legs, 13 Chest Plates, ~8 Pack Packs, ~19 Shoulder Pads (5 DG), 18 Heads
Weapons: 8 Bolters, ~4 Bubotic Weapons, 3 Heavy Plague Weapon, 1 Plasma Gun, 1 Meltagun, 1 Plague Belcher, 1 Plague Spewer, 1 Blight Launcher, 1 Bolt Pistol, 1 Plasma Pistol 
Accoutrements: 1 Icon, 2 Blight Grenades, 2 Hands, 1 Cape, 1 Arm Cape, 1 Chainmail Capette

The previous generation of Plague Marines came in a seven-model metal/finecast unit, one Plasma Gun and six Bolters, four with Plague Knife in hand. Rules wise, the Champion had standard options for the time, and the squad could take a couple Plasma Pistols/Plasma Guns/Meltaguns/Flamers. The models were designed along the lines of the CSM kit, as opposed to Jes Goodwin's original MkIII designs. 

The new kit keeps the same number of models (seven), which I know aggravates a number of people. They returned to being clearly MkIII, and while they are sculpted in the modern, more mono-pose style, the great number of diverse options in the kit (Chests, Heads, Shoulder Pads) stops individuals from feeling "samey" across multiple units. (This is also great for me, who loves half of the Nurgle aesthetic and loathes the other half). Their more "solid" poses also lets you build them "off-instruction" with only a bit of fuss. I put a tilde in front of some of the options as they're connected to another part (ie. there are eight Back Packs, but one is specifically for the Plague Spewer, and some of the Shoulder Pad options are built-in to specific arms). Of the various Shoulder Pads, only 5 are specifically for the Death Guard.

The kit provides more than enough Bolters, a full assortment of special weapons, and introduced a number of new heavy and close combat weapon options. Probably too many, honestly, and 10th edition amalgamating these down to "Bubotic Weapons" and "Heavy Plague Weapons" was probably a good thing. 

KHORNE BERZERKERS
Bodies: 10 Legs, 10 Chest Plates, ~10 Back Packs, 22 Shoulder Pads (10 WE, 5 'Cat), 26 Heads (15 Unhelmeted)
Weapons: 11 Chainblades, 2 Eviscerators, 10 Bolt Pistols (5 Bare Arm), 3 Plasma Pistols
Accoutrements: 1 Icon, ~8 Holsters/Chains

The... classic... Berzerkers sprue had four models on it - four Legs, Chests, pairs of Shoulder Pads, Bolt Pistols, Helmeted Heads, and Chainblades, some sheathed weapons, grenades, and holsters, plus an Unhelmeted Head and a Plasma Pistol. These were sold three to a box (for a total of twelve models). They fit with the regular CSM (aesthetically, being MkV). Rules wise, the Champion had standard options for the time, and two 'Zerks could take Plasma Pistols.

The updated kit kept the Plasma Pistols, the classic mix of Chain Swords and Axes, and added two Eviscerators. Champions lost rules options, but those technically weren't present in the previous kit itself. (Still, sad that there's no Power Fist present.) I'm... not a huge fan of the lack of options here - the ten bodies are all monopose, with no real room for variance (the Holsters and Chains are designed for specific bodies, and I debated whether to even include them as extras). There are also just the 22 shoulder pads for ten models, 10 of which are World Eater specific, and a lot of the weapons seem fitted for specific individuals do to the poses (though I haven't built the kit). The main source of variation seems to be the heads - of which there are a lot.

//

Alright, so let's look at where Noise Marines are right now. Kit wise... two horrible finecast packs, one with five Sonic Blaster and a Blastmaster, the other with one Sonic Blaster, one Blastmaster, a torso (that doesn't fit anything), a Back Pack, a Power Sword, and three Heads. Rules wise, the squad is one Blastmaster, Bolters/Sonic Blasters/BP&CS on all models, one Icon Bearer, and a Champion who can have a Doom Siren and the standard assortment of options.

To start: I think they'll loose the Bolters. It's tricky, because Noise Marines have gone so long with three basic options, but I don't think they'll all fit and if you have to lose one: it's the Bolters. (Plus, they didn't have them pre-3.5 anyway.)

Even then, if a baseline exists that every Noise Marine in the kit must be able to be equipped with either BP&CS or Sonic Blaster, I feel like a three-sprue, ten-model kit quickly runs out of room. The Rubric Marines pull off two weapons but they use the same arms. The Berzerkers are nowhere near, and the Plague Marines... well, they all have multiple builds but only have seven models in a kit. Instead, it might also be handy to look at what comes in the current Chaos Space Marine box (also three sprues, not including the Kill Team upgrades):

CSM LEGIONARIES
Bodies: 10 Legs, 12 Chest Plates, 10 Back Packs, ~24 Shoulder Pads, 14 Heads
Weapons: 8 Bolters, 7 Chainswords, 7 Bolt Pistols, 1 Meltagun, 1 Plasma Gun, 1 Flamer, 1 Missile Launcher, 1 Heavy Bolter, 1 Power Fist, 2 Accursed Weapons, 2 Plasma Pistols
Accoutrements: 2 Icons, 7 Back Pack Adornments

When taking into account that Noise Marines tend to be depicted in art with "bigger" Back Packs - mounted with speaker arrays, or drug dispensers - and that Sonic Blasters are traditionally bigger than Bolters, we lose some more space. On the other hand, unlike the Plague Marines' chunky MkIII, the (expected) MkVI shouldn't need more room. So I think you could reasonably see a kit that looked like:

NOISE MARINES
Bodies: 10 Legs, 12 Chest Plates, 10 Back Packs, 22 Shoulder Pads (10 EC), 14 Heads
Weapons: 9 Sonic Blasters, 9 Chainswords, 9 Bolt Pistols, 1 Doom Siren, 1 Blastmaster, 1 [New Melee Weapon], 1 Power Fist, 1 Accursed Weapons
Accoutrements: 1 Icon

And I'd be reasonably happy about that, but... building up to a potentially controversial opinion: I found the Berzerkers reveal to be kind of boring. Possibly down to the fact that they're quite similar to the Legionaries (MkV) in general, but I think it was looking over the kit and realising that... there are no real interesting choices to be made in how you put them together. No new weird additions. When it comes to Noise Marines, I want them to be a riot. I want every model to have the option of being adorned with corrupted Aquilas or grafted speakers, bejewelled bondage gear or stitched flesh... or some bizarre ornament of the Dark Prince. I want a variety of giant wild crests to add to their helmets, trophies, sequined capes, pteruges, and other dangling nonsense. And I want new sonic weapons. An energy throwing guitar (Power Axe?). Percussive mauls to drum an opponent into paste. Combat drugs and Needle Guns.

The question is how to get it. My preferred answer would be to split Noise Marines - one keeping the name and the sonic stylings, and the other getting the melee builds and Combat Drugs. But if they do stay united... I'm open to a six-model kit.

I'd also ask GW to take cross-model options into account. Six out of ten of the CSM Legionaries come with a chest piece that is just the breast plate (no abdomen or groin). It's not hard to make any of these six go on any of the six legs, requiring only a tiny bit of cutting/gap filling. But... why couldn't they just have been designed with a universal fit? 

I would love to see some nice organ inspired warped backpack for the squad leader.

Ohhh and of course nice speaker grill implants and perfectly disfigured heads!

Maybe a sonic pistol for the leader?

Maybe it is going to be squad of six? This keaves more space on the sprue for options?

Traditionally it os bolters, chainswords or sonic weapons.

Not sure if those options will all remain though, as technically bolters and chainswords could be easily built with legionaries.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

At an absolute minimum. The two upgrade kits and bodies rolled into one pack and modernised inline with what the WE berserkers got.

Beyond that, there must be something to give it a bit of personality so it doesn't just become legionnaires with X but that will come with the book.

Maybe a whip/lash/flail (Disco ball?) weapon that's both 6" ranged/melee [sustained 1] seems like it should be inline with the old lash.

A needle gun for the champ to share the stimulants could also be fitting but that comes down to how GW take the Slaanesh theme

In addition to new Noise Marines, I‘d love to see GW make a new unique cultist addition  akin to the WE Jackals …

Like some sort of background vocal group type thing - which could could be anything from Giger’esque biomechanical disco / K-pop idols to creepy blanchitzu style gregorian monks 

17 hours ago, Maschinenpriester said:

Maybe it is going to be squad of six? This keaves more space on the sprue for options?

Not sure if those options will all remain though, as technically bolters and chainswords could be easily built with legionaries.

I agree on dropping the Bolters, and would also like to see the Bolt Pistol and Chainsword option spun out into its own unit, leaving just sonic weapons.

As an aside, the original 2nd edition Noise Marine squads were small (3-5 unit size, at a time when Plague Marines were 3-9, Khorne Berzerkers 5-19, and Thousand Sons were 3-10). I'd not be at all opposed to a 6-model kit, so long as it was stuffed to the Bile-implanted-gills with options.

//

Perhaps useful, a history of Noise Marines' progression:

2nd edition's Codex: Chaos, Noise Marines had a unit size of 3-5 (and could be joined by an Aspiring Champion, so 3-6). They came with Bolt Pistols, and had a Psychic Cacophony rule (which disrupted all psykers within 16"). All could get Sonic Blasters and/or Photon Flash grenades, one model could get a Blastmaster and one model could get a Doom Siren.

In the original 3rd edition Codex: Chaos Space Marines, Noise Marines had a unit size of 5-10 and were a Heavy Support choice (unless the army was led by a Slaaneshi Chaos Lord, in which case they were Troops). They came with Sonic Blasters. All could get Frag and/or Krak grenades, and three models could take a Blastmaster or a Doom Siren. One could be upgraded to an Aspiring Champion, and they came with Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon & Doom Siren, and had access to the Chaos Armory.

In the 3.5 Codex, Cult Troops didn't exist as a separate unit entry. Instead, giving units (Chosen, CSMs, Bikers, Havocs) a Mark of Slaanesh made them Noise Marines. Bolters could be upgrades to Sonic Blasters, Autocannons to Blastmasters, and Meltaguns to BP&CCW and a Doom Siren. This is the first time Noise Marines could have Bolters, and is the time at which the current Noise Marine Upgrade Sprues released. (Yes, over twenty years ago.)

In 4th, Noise Marines were back as their own unit entry and were Troops. 5-20 unit size with Bolter, BP, CCW, and grenades. All could replace their Bolters with Sonic Blasters, one a Blastmaster, one an Icon, and the Noise Champion could take a Doom Siren, Meltabombs and a Power Weapon or Power Fist.

6th edition they moved to Elites. 5-20 unit size, Bolter, BP, and grenades. All could take a CCW, trade their Bolter for a CCW or Sonic Blaster, one-in-ten a Blastmaster, one an Icon, and the Noise Champion could take a Doom Siren and Meltabombs, and had access to the Ranged and Melee Weapons lists. .

8th edition, still Elites. 5-20 unit size, Bolter, BP, and grenades. All could trade their Bolter for a Chainsword or Sonic Blaster, one-for-every-ten a Blastmaster, one an Icon, and the Noise Champion could take a Doom Siren, and had access to the Champions Equipment lists. 

9th edition, Elites. 5-10 unit size, Bolter, BP, and grenades. All could trade their Bolter for a Chainsword or Sonic Blaster, one a Blastmaster, one an Icon, and the Noise Champion could take a Doom Siren, a Plasma Pistol, and had access to the Melee Weapons list.  

Current Index: 5-10 unit size, Bolter, BP, and CCW. All can trade their Bolter for a Chainsword or Sonic Blaster, one a Blastmaster, one an Icon, and the Noise Champion can take a Doom Siren and replace their BP or Bolter with a Plasma Pistol, Sonic Blaster, Accursed Weapon, Power Fist, or Chainsword.

//

I think I'd like the standard Noise Marine kit to outfit each model with either a Sonic Blaster and CCW, or BP&CS and Doom Siren. With options for one-in-five to trade their Sonic Blaster for a Blastmaster or [new sonic weapon], and the option to trade Doom Sirens for a Combat Drug Dispensers. One-in-five can have an Icon of Slaanesh or Apprentice Fleshcrafter Tools. Champion with options for Plasma Pistol, Power Fist, Accursed Weapon, and man-sized Warp Amplifier. Maybe some new toys, or old - Lash of Torment, Needle of Desire, some Slaaneshi mutations. (Four arms? Scorpion tail?)

22 hours ago, Maschinenpriester said:

Among the 3ed Noise Marines was one of them equiped with a power crab-claw

From also doing Death Guard, any kit with bizarre numbers of units (i.e., not 5 or 10) you'll come to find a hindrance later. Plague Marines with 7 in the box is the big problem there.

So for me, making it have a standard 10 in the box is a minimum requirement.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

This is my take on a Emperor's Children/Slaanesh Marine Codex.

Spoiler

Fulgrim Of course

Lucius   Of course

Daemon Prince of course

Chaos lord both power armour and terminator armour. Option to take Sonic weaponry for both, and for the PA lord double close melee weapons of various sorts

Sorcerers both power armour and terminator armour, Options to take Sonic weaponry for the Terminator, and for the Sorcerer in PA only Doom Siren.

Master of Pain Slaanesh Codex Variant of the Master of Execution with the option to take two melee weapons, and doom siren.

Apothecary (Another name of course.) Buffer with drugs, maybe random sort of drugs

Slaanesh legionaiers PA marines with the option to either be a pure Sonic squad or a more melee oriented, and I do loath the 80s rock guitar variant, and love the FW Kakophoni variant. A Slaanesh Marines box could come with both variants, with loads of strange melee weapons, and not just whips, give us swords with barbs, dueling swords, parrying weapons liks Sai or Sword breakers, Give us nasty looking spears or with blades on both side of the shaft. I would prefer if the weapons were agile looking and not as clumsy as the usual SM weapons, The chainsword is ridiculously looking for a fast and agile looking force, and if the EC could have more agile looking weapons with the same stats I would be happy. 

Cultists preferably a Slaanesh variant, maybe with a HQ option too.

Possessed of course

Terminators both the standard and a three man squad EC elite variant (can be doubled to six man so the number fits) Mutated Phoenix terminators comes to mind.

Bikes Always remember Doomrider

Raptors

Spawns

Helbrutes Sonic weaponry options

Rhino chassis (i:e Rhino, predator etc.) Option to change the Havoc Launcher to a Doom siren. GW really have the chance to upgrade all the CSM Rhino Chassis if an EC codex drops. 

Land raiders Same options as the Rhinos chassis.

I am on the fence when it comes to the Daemon engines, some of them feel a bit off, in my opinion, for a EC force, maybe they should get a special variant, just like Thousand Son's Vortex beast, and DG Plague burst crawler. And some sort of Anti Vehicle option that is not just a wet mitten.

I don't see the Emperor's Children stuck in some sort Sex, Drugs and Dock and roll stitch. Sure the one shot throw back marine was fun, but lots of squads of Twisted Sister wannabees are just ridiculous. Slaanesh is so much more, I have a feeling that Refuse would agree with me if he was still around. (Refuse was a Moderator, and discussed Slaanesh in depth years ago here on the forum.). Slaanesh is about excess, some goes for the SDR stitch, others thinks of Christianity's seven deadly sins. I see them as them as pure nightmare fuel, mutated bored monsters, always hungering for the next way to feel something again, all their senses dulled after 10k years of excess. They don't care were and how the stimuli comes. They might have almost died once and now crave for the fear they felt again, knowing that it will never be the same. Or the craving for the ultimate kill, the feeling of the perfect strike when the sword pierces the helmet of a Black Templar champion, the feeling of it running through the skull bone, and then brain, hearing the scream pain and humiliation of the Champion as he slowly dies in front of him. Always searching for the next ultimate kill, ordinary humans are now just obstacles in the way, not even playthings for them.

We can use music as an example, I could have used Sex, Drugs, or food as an example, but lets stay forum friendly. Once a little band from Liverpool called Beatles was the most depraved and scary band in the world, according to some, they were followed by group after group that were more scary, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Clash, Sex pistols, Kiss, Alice cooper, Blondie, today all of them considered to be classic bands with nice tunes, bar Pistols that barley could play their instruments. The 80s brought us WASP, Motley Crue, Iron maiden, Metallica, Anthrax, harder and faster, but today either just silly or classic bands. The 90s gave us Nirvana, NWA, Tupac, Biggie, Rage Against the Machine, plus a plethora of Shock rock bands, controversial and dangerous then, today not so. When a conservative Republican from Texas claim that their favourite band is Rage Against the Machine, it is not a scary band anymore. For me there is only one song that is pure torture, and that is "Baby Shark" on repeat. The music that was pure pain for me in the 90s was anything with Blümchen, which I today I even have on my playlist. By time everything gets more and more dulled down and accepted, and that happens for a Slaanesh marine too. Now they are just after the next kick, may it be, fear, pain, both giving and receiving, sound, light, smells, drugs are now a tool not a high, and one of the few thing that they crave for is the experience of battle. I could have gone down a darker path than music, but I try to keep the topic friendly for everyone.

Slaanesh marines love their new powers, bling, and mutations, so the models should show that, bling them up, give them lots of mutation options, make them warped, strange and odd looking, pipes, mutations, armour with faces, chains, and bling.  Sonic weaponry should be fused to their hands and armour, tubes running from the barrels straight to their ears. etc. etc.

Sorry for the wall of text, and my ranting. But Slaanesh and Emperor's Children has always been a favourite faction for me in 40k. 

Cpt.Danjou

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

I definitely want both looks.  

While I wouldn't want them to go full rock band (including a marine sitting on drums etc), a "Sonic Axe" (or what you will) as a special weapon wouldn't go amiss. Not a straight up guitar (like The Noise Marine) but sweetly reminiscent (something mother used to bake). Like the 2nd ed Noise Marine codex art:

EmerorsChildren7.jpg.3f198f340712882431afb22b2fe3fef7.jpg

I get why not everyone would want one of their marines to be wearing a helmet that's a skull with sick shades, but... I do. I'm not personally into the "stitched flesh" look, but I want it present as an option for those who do love it. So while the Emperor's Children can lean into creepy and unsettling body horror, I do still hope that the "wild cacophony" is a strong vibe. My favourite piece of EC fan art (by Eddy Gonz):

Spoiler

EmerorsChildren6.thumb.jpg.7984037a2fe10273386a34d9abe7b873.jpg 

On 10/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, Cpt.Danjou said:

I know what I prefer meeting in a dark alley. But with the more and more child friendly GW I believe we will get the Sonics (Emperor's Children) looking more like the first picture.

Have you seen the Accursed Cultist set? Or the AoS Blissbarb archers?

Edited by sitnam

Hopefully it's not like plague marines where they come in a weird amount in a box, have way too many options, have the options and unit size change the edition after they come out, and have their core rule from prior editions become weaker the next edition to completely disappear the following edition.

I pray to Slaanesh the Noise Marines have a smoother transition in the following editions. 

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Hopefully it's not like plague marines where they come in a weird amount in a box, have way too many options, have the options and unit size change the edition after they come out, and have their core rule from prior editions become weaker the next edition to completely disappear the following edition.

I pray to Slaanesh the Noise Marines have a smoother transition in the following editions. 

They did a normal model count for Berserkers, so I'm hopeful they've learned their lesson there and Noise Marines will have a standard box count.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:20 AM, Cpt.Danjou said:

This is my take on a Emperor's Children/Slaanesh Marine Codex.

Reveal hidden contents

Fulgrim Of course

Lucius   Of course

Daemon Prince of course

Chaos lord both power armour and terminator armour. Option to take Sonic weaponry for both, and for the PA lord double close melee weapons of various sorts

Sorcerers both power armour and terminator armour, Options to take Sonic weaponry for the Terminator, and for the Sorcerer in PA only Doom Siren.

Master of Pain Slaanesh Codex Variant of the Master of Execution with the option to take two melee weapons, and doom siren.

Apothecary (Another name of course.) Buffer with drugs, maybe random sort of drugs

Slaanesh legionaiers PA marines with the option to either be a pure Sonic squad or a more melee oriented, and I do loath the 80s rock guitar variant, and love the FW Kakophoni variant. A Slaanesh Marines box could come with both variants, with loads of strange melee weapons, and not just whips, give us swords with barbs, dueling swords, parrying weapons liks Sai or Sword breakers, Give us nasty looking spears or with blades on both side of the shaft. I would prefer if the weapons were agile looking and not as clumsy as the usual SM weapons, The chainsword is ridiculously looking for a fast and agile looking force, and if the EC could have more agile looking weapons with the same stats I would be happy. 

Cultists preferably a Slaanesh variant, maybe with a HQ option too.

Possessed of course

Terminators both the standard and a three man squad EC elite variant (can be doubled to six man so the number fits) Mutated Phoenix terminators comes to mind.

Bikes Always remember Doomrider

Raptors

Spawns

Helbrutes Sonic weaponry options

Rhino chassis (i:e Rhino, predator etc.) Option to change the Havoc Launcher to a Doom siren. GW really have the chance to upgrade all the CSM Rhino Chassis if an EC codex drops. 

Land raiders Same options as the Rhinos chassis.

I am on the fence when it comes to the Daemon engines, some of them feel a bit off, in my opinion, for a EC force, maybe they should get a special variant, just like Thousand Son's Vortex beast, and DG Plague burst crawler. And some sort of Anti Vehicle option that is not just a wet mitten.

Nice list, though I think Chosen will end up in the EC Codex, due to the non-Black Legion example on the back of their box being Emperor's Children.

Thinking about this, and making an assessment of what the other Cult Legions received... (Ignoring their Primarchs (Magnus, Mortarion, Angron), their "Classic Champions" (Ahriman, Typhus, Khârn) and their post-launch edition additions (Infernal Master, Lord of Virulence, Chosen of Mortarion, Miasmic Malignifier - please note any that I'm misremembering).)

Thousand Sons

Rubric Marines - 10 model, 3 sprues

Scarab Occult Terminators - 5 model, 2 sprues

Exalted Sorcerers - 3 model, 2 sprues

Tzaangor Upgrade Sprue - 1 (small) sprue

World Eaters

Khorne Berzerkers - 10 model, 3 sprues

World Eaters Lord on Juggernaut/Invocatus - ~1 model, 2 sprues

Jakhals - 10 model, 2 sprues

Exalted/Eightbound - ~3 model, 2 sprues

Death Guard

Plague Marines - 7 model, 3 sprues

Plague Marine Champion - 1 model, character sprue

Plague Marine Icon Bearer - 1 model, character sprue

Plague Marine Reinforcements - 3 model, 3 character sprues

ETB Plague Marines - 3 models, (small) sprue

Poxwalkers - 10 (& 1/2) models, 1 sprue

Blightlord Terminators - 5 models, 2 sprues

Deathshroud Bodyguard - 3 models, 3 (small) sprues

ETB Lord Felthius and the Tainted Cohort - 4 models, 3 (small) sprues

ETB Myphitic Blight-hauler - 1 model, 1 sprue

Plagueburst Crawler - 1 model, 2 (large) sprues

Foetid Bloat-drone - 1 model, 2 sprues

Plague Surgeon - 1 model, character sprue

Tallyman - 1 model, character sprue

Foul Blightspawn - 1 model, character sprue

Biologus Putrifier - 1 model, character sprue

//

Of course, Death Guard being a "launch faction" greatly increased the number of kits that they received. But still, Thousand Sons and World Eaters give a rough estimate of how much the Emperor's Children might get. Fulgrim, Lucius, Noise Marines, and then 2-3 kits made up of 2 sprues.

My personally hoped-for initial wave (trying to keep expectations in check):

Emperor's Children

Fulgrim - 1 model, ~4 sprues

Lucius the Eternal - 1 model, character sprue

Noise Marines (sonic ranged only) - 10 model, 3 sprues

Doom Siren/Combat Drugs melee unit - ~5 model, 2 sprues

Exalted Fleshcrafters - 3 model, 2 sprues

Emperor's Children Lord on Bike/Doom Rider - ~1 model, 2 sprue

And that's probably getting greedy as it is, so I dare not hope for Sonic Dreadnoughts, Jetbikers, "Doof Wagons", Eidolon, Phonics Terminators, Slaaneshi Sorcerers, etc. As to what they'd lose, I'm thinking: Disco Lord, Warpsmith, Dark Apostle, Dark Commune, Legionaries, Accursed Cultists, Venomcrawler, Havocs, Obliterators, Vindicator, Khorne Lord of Skulls, Noctolith Crown, Traitor Guardsmen, Traitor Enforcer.

Of course, as you alluded to, that could be a worryingly dramatic lack of anti-tank options. But maybe I'm being too generous - the World Eaters book took a chainaxe to that legion's options.

7 hours ago, Gamiel said:

Is dead. Slain by Kor'sarro Khan.

IIRC the White Scars have his (still-living) head.

Nu-Doomrider could be a headless horseman pastiche - trying to get his noggin back. Or he could just regrow it - he's a daemon prince, and a weirdo at that.

(Although, I guess combined with Eidolon, people might start thinking the EC were all about losing their heads. Brothers in arms once more with the Iron Hands.)

//

Personally, if 40k's EC were to get another theme (besides sonic weapons) it'd be the "go fast loudly" of bikers, jetbikers, and speeders for me. (Maybe millennia-corrupted Javelins could provide the anti-tank firepower?) When I think of sensory overload, the noise and the speed of that sort of thing seems like a natural fit.

Buuuu-uuut... I would not mind at all getting a "Emperor's Children Lord with Jump Pack/Eidolon" dual kit instead. I'd just prefer a Biker Lord/Doomrider dual kit.

• 2 weeks later...

While I like the guitar-wielding Noise Marine, the Rogue sculpts were outstanding. I still have about 30 of them and will break them out if / when ECs get a Codex.

These models are tall, easily the same height as current Legionnaires. Really hoping the designers take queues from these.

500px-Noisemarine2.jpg

On 10/27/2023 at 8:50 PM, Cpt.Danjou said:

But do you prefer this

twisted.jpg.cb9aa7615e7a7ea205c97f4dcfc7a1ef.jpg

From this

tweird.jpg.9903d6b9b03e2022997903cd70398196.jpg

I know what I prefer meeting in a dark alley. But with the more and more child friendly GW I believe we will get the Sonics (Emperor's Children) looking more like the first picture.

Cpt.Danjou

Not 100% confidant to say, but according to the quality of recent years' AoS products, I feel GW almost find the way of "how to make Slaanesh models". Juvenile friendly so no more big boobs 3e metal daemonette, but also moved away from the very ugly "non human, non beast"(around 2010?) designs.

I do like the Hedonites of Slaanesh from AoS, they are good looking without having a glam/hair rock style.  Glutos Lord of Gluttony is an amazing modell, and as I am having Syss'Kell on my painting table right now I think they are the glorious. Slaanesh does not need to be the Diaz daemonettes, I am not looking at them with the rose-tinted glasses as so many do. Sure they were nice for their time, but the half clad models is not my cup of tea either, plus they were impossible to assemble and keep together, those claws snapped really, really easy.

Slaanesh modells are best looking when they keep their basic colours, black, pink, purple, and gold, and have an androgynous feel. They should look fast and deadly, with more agile weapons compared to the brutal and cumbersome World Eater  weapons. Sonic weaponry should be looking agile, but deadly, Horus Heresy Kakaphoni are very good looking models, the bare heads with the fused breathing apparatus, tubes, and loud speakers fused to their faces is what I want for Slaanesh Marines, and the Sonic Weaponry is more that I want.  Mutations are also something that should be common as Slaanesh devotees embraces those.

Warhammer 40.000 needs some humour too, that is why we have Orks and Clowns in the Xenos section, and that Sonic Marine with the guitar was ok as a one shot, but if every Sonic marine will be a 80s Hair metal dude with mascara and a guitar it will just become silly, and a joke army. In my mind Emperor's Children are one of the scariest Army you could encounter on the battle field, I would rather face World Eaters or Death Guard, World Eaters would just kill you, and with Death Guard there is always promises of hope from Papa Nurgle if you survive. With Emperor's Children there is only pain, torture and suffering for an eternity if you get caught. Chaos is not funny or ridiculous at all, they are the prime evil, the stuff that makes Ulramarines have nightmares. A 10.000 old marine who has done countless of atrocious things, and craves for excess, debauchery, and the next high will not look like a "Shock rocker" from the 80s, there is a reason why bands like Twisted Sisters, WASP, and Mötley Crüe did not survive the the 90s, they just became jokes, as they were only appearance and no depth, as will a "hair metal band" looking army will not not either survive if they become a "funny" army.

I was thinking off making a topic about "What Slaanesh" really is, but I have given up on the idea to write any more topics on this site.

Cpt.Danjou