Multi Chapter “Crusade” Army

TopToffee

Hi all.

Just getting back into the game after some years out, and starting to figure out how I want to paint my marines.

I’ve struggled to settle on a chapter, and don’t really want to go home brew, because it stops me using the special characters. (I know it doesn’t, but in my head it just doesn’t feel right).

So I had an idea that I wanted to get people’s thoughts on… both in terms of “is this a fun idea” and “would anyone have an issue with this”.

The idea plays on the concept that any game of 40K is generally a small section of a larger battle/war. In this instance, it would be a battle involving multiple chapters. There might be a couple of units from Imperial Fists, a couple of Blood Angels, a couple of Ultramarines, all led by a special character from one of the chapters. NB the units themselves wouldn’t be split, a la Deathwatch.

Could be tied together with a knee insignia or similar to designate the campaign they’re a part of.

Obviously the army would only ever “count as” one specific chapter in any given game and would follow all army building rules, but it would give me the flexibility to try out out different characters at different times, and still have it make sense. Also just thought it could look pretty cool on the table.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

HH 2.0 lets you do this. You can pick as many other Legion units as the FOC allows. For example you take six tactical squads and they could hail from:

- Iron Hands

- Death Guard

- World Eaters

- Imperial Fists

- Ultramarines  

- Blood Angels

Also note that all tactical squads retain their Legion trait.

If you're playing 10th, this would be fine so long as you don't take chapter-specific units from more than one chapter. You could have a Captain in Imperial Fists regalia, a Captain in Blood Angels, but if you take a NAMED character from any of those lists, that's the only one you can pull chapter specific stuff from. 

Paint your tactical squads and intercessor squads however you like, but figure out which chapter has the unique stuff you want, because you're only getting one. 

12 hours ago, TopToffee said:

The idea plays on the concept that any game of 40K is generally a small section of a larger battle/war. In this instance, it would be a battle involving multiple chapters. There might be a couple of units from Imperial Fists, a couple of Blood Angels, a couple of Ultramarines, all led by a special character from one of the chapters. NB the units themselves wouldn’t be split, a la Deathwatch.

Could be tied together with a knee insignia or similar to designate the campaign they’re a part of.

The following is a lore hook that supports this, just bringing it up as a humble reminder: the Unnumbered Sons or Greyshields.

After Roboute Guilliman re-awakened and returned to Terra, he unveiled the Primaris Marines, and began distributing them in the Indomitus Crusade.  Although they would go to all the different Chapters, not just to his Ultramarines and their Successors, he lead them across the galaxy to fight together.  Not only was it a necessity after the chaos of the Great Rift, Guilliman wanted it to be a training exercise for them, to learn each other's fighting styles, like team building.  He always foresaw there would be a time when these guys, being veterans and rising to positions of leadership, may one day work together across Chapters.  They are recorded in history as the Unnumbered Sons, but their nicknames for themselves were Greyshields, because they bore a marking from the Indomitus Crusade.  Looks like this (but is from the cover of a later novel):

image.thumb.jpeg.28ecf76fa38a7df1579da040f4f39137.jpeg

It's that grey chevron.  That could just go on the shoulders or knees of the Sergeants or Lieutenants, like these veterans of the Indomitus Crusade rose to positions of leadership.  When the time came for their Chapters to join forces, they would be naturally be grouped together, having had experience fighting alongside the others, their old bonds of trust still connecting them together.

So with that in mind, you already have an idea, my suggestion is just to take those Vs from the transfer sheets you get and turn them upside down on some Sergeants and Lieutenants.  And it's kinda funny, like you got these bigwig named Epic characters...but what's really coordinating the different Chapters working together are the Greyshields, possibly using the code words they learned on the Indomitus Crusade.

With 10th, now that they did away with Chapter Tactics in favour of Detachment Rules, I've been toying with this idea myself.

5 minutes ago, N1SB said:

With 10th, now that they did away with Chapter Tactics in favour of Detachment Rules, I've been toying with this idea myself.

There are a handful of things I check out for feasibility each edition:

Deathwing+Ravenwing.

A full Battle Company (60 Battle Line, 20 Fast Attack and 20 Heavy Support Marine body models) 

And the Crusade Army.  And this is probably the friendliest edition for that in a long time.  You can mix and match squad colors, and this game you could take Calgar, next game grat Adrax, then Feiros, etc and so on.