How do you feel about the Christmas box?

Go to solution Solved by Inquisitor_Lensoven,

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Its a bit specific, only for people looking for dorns:ermm:

Yeah I don’t think it’s going to sell particularly well.

a stepped up version of the CP would have probably been better. Take the CP box, add a dorn and two more sentinels.

or add a pair of chimeras, and people would have probably liked it even better

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

a stepped up version of the CP would have probably been better. Take the CP box, add a dorn and two more sentinels.

or add a pair of chimeras, and people would have probably liked it even better

I've got very little interest in Dorns, as you've said Chimeras I would have jumped at it.

Would also rather have over the Dorns, additional Shock Troopers, Kasrkin, Leman Russ, Heavy Weapons Squads.

Ah well, Combat Patrols and then what takes my fancy appears to be the way to go, if I actually get round to the Guard. 

I think it's a pretty solid complement to the Combat Patrol. You double your infantry and Command element and you add heavy armour to your collection.

Now you have a solid core for an army, with quite a few support elements. It's honestly a pretty great way to either start Guard completely new or, for veterans, to expand on the updated model line. Plus, while the Dorn is big, it's also extremly easy to put together, so is a pretty good way for a newbie to get introduced to some bigger models.

So I can't speak for random reddit-denizens, but I'm happy I got mine confirmed from one of my LFGS. With the CP and this, plus a few extra Sentinels, I don't see myself needing to buy any more of the updated model range for a good, long while.

7 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

a stepped up version of the CP would have probably been better.

Disagree; the more overlap a set has with that faction's Combat Patrol, the less likely I am to buy it. It is a FOMO release after all; it has to offer something you can't buy the rest of the year in order to justify rushing for it. "Combat Patrol Plus" doesn't cut it for me; what I'm looking for from a Battleforce is a discount on something (or a combination of somethings) that you can't get a discount on via other means, otherwise why would I rush to get one?

The Votann one is a perfect example, the combination of units pairs well with their CP box with no overlap between the two sets, giving you both a decent core of an army and a good spread of different kinds of units.

The Guard one sits somewhere in the middle; the infantry kits are duplicates of what you get in the CP, but they are duplicates that you do probably want. And the Dorns aren't available at a discount in other sets so their inclusion here satisfies the requirement for getting a deal on something you otherwise can't.

I won't dispute that two Dorns feels like overkill and they might well have increased the appeal of this box by dropping one in favour of maybe a Chimera and a Heavy Weapons Squad, but a straight copy of the CP with a couple extras on top? That would make it an immediate pass for me.

7 hours ago, sairence said:

I think it's a pretty solid complement to the Combat Patrol. You double your infantry and Command element and you add heavy armour to your collection.

Now you have a solid core for an army, with quite a few support elements. It's honestly a pretty great way to either start Guard completely new or, for veterans, to expand on the updated model line. Plus, while the Dorn is big, it's also extremly easy to put together, so is a pretty good way for a newbie to get introduced to some bigger models.

So I can't speak for random reddit-denizens, but I'm happy I got mine confirmed from one of my LFGS. With the CP and this, plus a few extra Sentinels, I don't see myself needing to buy any more of the updated model range for a good, long while.

So a new player needs to invest $400 in order to get a solid start to a guard army?

for the $200+ cost of the box it should be a solid start to an army on its own imho.

for $160 the CP is a solid start to an army.

for $200 this box should be a cohesive start to an army.  Drop the infantry and add a Russ for a tank commander, and you’ve got a box with roughly 700 points, and it’s clearly a start to an armored regiment or company.

or 2 dorns a basilisk, and a sentinel, as another way to provide the basis of a cohesive army that makes sense.

this box just doesn’t seem to have any direction to it.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

4 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Disagree; the more overlap a set has with that faction's Combat Patrol, the less likely I am to buy it. It is a FOMO release after all; it has to offer something you can't buy the rest of the year in order to justify rushing for it. "Combat Patrol Plus" doesn't cut it for me; what I'm looking for from a Battleforce is a discount on something (or a combination of somethings) that you can't get a discount on via other means, otherwise why would I rush to get one?

The Votann one is a perfect example, the combination of units pairs well with their CP box with no overlap between the two sets, giving you both a decent core of an army and a good spread of different kinds of units.

The Guard one sits somewhere in the middle; the infantry kits are duplicates of what you get in the CP, but they are duplicates that you do probably want. And the Dorns aren't available at a discount in other sets so their inclusion here satisfies the requirement for getting a deal on something you otherwise can't.

I won't dispute that two Dorns feels like overkill and they might well have increased the appeal of this box by dropping one in favour of maybe a Chimera and a Heavy Weapons Squad, but a straight copy of the CP with a couple extras on top? That would make it an immediate pass for me.

I think the dorns are in here because they haven’t sold well.

while I do want to get one, it’s not a high priority purchase for me. The baneblade is more durable and more deadly, the Russ is cheaper and can be squadroned up…

4 hours ago, Halandaar said:

CP+ isn’t the best I agree but like I said replacing the second dorn with something, almost anything else would be better.

I’m super excited about the box. I love the Dorn tanks and the smattering of troops is great. Truth be told I’m not really interested in cutting edge list building or meta/ comp stuff. I want a couple of Dorns, some Russ tanks, and enough infantry to give the army its “feel” and hold objectives.

After that I’ll check out the other starter boxes and either add one of those or pick up individual box sets.

I’ll throw in some Imperial Guard 40K weirdness with some bullgryn or psychers and call it good!

As a new player I think this is a good start but understand it checks the boxes I wanted as opposed to maybe being the best starter box.

Edited by brother_b

I want to know if the Dorns finally have a bottom.  That missing part has bothered me immensely as it feels like someone forgot to add a bit to the kit.  There are far too many wobbly model instances where you can see under the tank, not to mention the infantry crushed beneath your treads, for it to not be a glaring omission.  I know there are plenty of third party solutions, but I should not need a third party solution for that.

Now if they come with bottoms, I am all for that box as a way to bulk out the regiment to reinforced size.

3 hours ago, brother_b said:

I’m super excited about the box. I love the Dorn tanks and the smattering of troops is great. Truth be told I’m not really interested in cutting edge list building or meta/ comp stuff. I want a couple of Dorns, some Russ tanks, and enough infantry to give the army its “feel” and hold objectives.

After that I’ll check out the other starter boxes and either add one of those or pick up individual box sets.

I’ll throw in some Imperial Guard 40K weirdness with some bullgryn or psychers and call it good!

As a new player I think this is a good start but understand it checks the boxes I wanted as opposed to maybe being the best starter box.

For people who love dorns it is a great box.

but if you don’t have a hard on for the dorn, and only like them it’s kind of horrible.

It’s great price for the models so long as:

1. You need/want the Dorns or the infantry 

2. You can get hold of one (seem to have sold out rather quickly)

Personally I have no need as I have two Dorns already and too many infantry.

I thought two Dorns was an odd choice and they would have been better adding more variety like Kasrkin and Sentinels or other tanks - I may have then bought one. But it sold out so they hit the market/only hand handful to sell. Shame it’s not going to be a box around for a long time.

13 hours ago, brother_b said:

What’s wrong with the Dorn model? The Dorn bottoms? Sounds like a seedy part of London in the late 1890s or perhaps a burlesque review; The Dorn Bottoms!

Sorry sorry, I’ll take a search around Google.

The Dorn kit has a massive part of the bottom of the hull not included in the first run and I am hoping one day GW will grace us with that part.

download.jpg.a98cb4dd3db8b9c201c5de09271bd0b2.jpg

On 11/10/2023 at 3:21 PM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

So a new player needs to invest $400 in order to get a solid start to a guard army?

for the $200+ cost of the box it should be a solid start to an army on its own imho.

for $160 the CP is a solid start to an army.

for $200 this box should be a cohesive start to an army.  Drop the infantry and add a Russ for a tank commander, and you’ve got a box with roughly 700 points, and it’s clearly a start to an armored regiment or company.

or 2 dorns a basilisk, and a sentinel, as another way to provide the basis of a cohesive army that makes sense.

this box just doesn’t seem to have any direction to it.

It's not a starter box though. It's a limited run package, and as such very unlikely to be designed to individually make a force out of. And I don't believe I suggested otherwise in my post. I said it's a great supplement.

That said, you absolutely can use this to start an army. You have a Command unit, some footsloggers and heavy support.

Two other points:

First, the cost. Guard isn't a cheap army to start, this gives you a discount on these units. If you don't like the units, you can just skip them and get another Combat Patrol instead.

Second...like it or not, Guard got a range refresh and that's what GW wants to sell. I find it pretty unlikely that they will mix older sprues into this kind of package deal any more, outside of some hypothetical nostalgia-deal.

As for someone else's question: 

They're not going to add a bottom plate to the Dorn kit, because it would require the addition of a 4th sprue. The three in the kit are pretty stocked, adding an additional one would mean either a complete redesign of the sprues (not happening) or adding a pretty empty one, which is also lame. Either option would increase the cost of the kit, and frankly, given that I can live with a hole I never see and which I can cover up with a bit of cardboard if it really bothers me.

I'm honestly very meh about it, I could use the command and infantry squads sure but two Dorns are a bit much. I'm not overly fond of the model, one I could use for a militia project but not two. If they had just tacked a Dorn on the combat patrol I would have been more likely to buy it. 

5 hours ago, sairence said:

It's not a starter box though. It's a limited run package, and as such very unlikely to be designed to individually make a force out of. And I don't believe I suggested otherwise in my post. I said it's a great supplement.

That said, you absolutely can use this to start an army. You have a Command unit, some footsloggers and heavy support.

Two other points:

First, the cost. Guard isn't a cheap army to start, this gives you a discount on these units. If you don't like the units, you can just skip them and get another Combat Patrol instead.

Second...like it or not, Guard got a range refresh and that's what GW wants to sell. I find it pretty unlikely that they will mix older sprues into this kind of package deal any more, outside of some hypothetical nostalgia-deal.

As for someone else's question: 

They're not going to add a bottom plate to the Dorn kit, because it would require the addition of a 4th sprue. The three in the kit are pretty stocked, adding an additional one would mean either a complete redesign of the sprues (not happening) or adding a pretty empty one, which is also lame. Either option would increase the cost of the kit, and frankly, given that I can live with a hole I never see and which I can cover up with a bit of cardboard if it really bothers me.

1. Yes GW has said these boxes are meant to get parents to buy these for kids as Christmas gifts to get them into the hobby.

2. When you invoke them and the CP boxes together you’re implying starter/beginner box

3. a castellan and a sentinel is a valid force, so being a valid force isn’t a justification.

4. Yes a value box that seems to have fairly little appeal to people who may want to expand their collections.