Are secondaries not part of the core rules?

Inquisitor_Lensoven

1 hour ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

I believe they are indeed part of the "Leviathan Mission Pack."

This is a corporate model of doing business I just can’t support.

if secondaries are going to be part of the game they should be a part of the codexes/indexes or the core rules imho

From what I understand, the core game by GW’s definition does not include secondaries. They are additional rules that are not required to play the missions provided in the core ruleset.

This dlc model is absolute garbage. The secondaries and crusade should all be in the core rulebook. It amazes me 40k is successful given that GW has so rapidly adopted many of the worst business practices of videogames over the past few years.

18 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Gw seems to have toned it down thou:yes:

One deck of cards is far less than the chapter approved book every 6 months of the last two editions:thumbsup:

I think the issue is that they give just enough free rules to play a game, but anything official that provides even minor variation or flavour, like secondaries and crusade rules are still locked behind pay walls. Admittedly they are still offering more than they were for 9th, where the free rules weren’t even really enough to set up and play a game. 

It’s also disappointing to me that they appear to remove the indexes once a codex comes out, basically slowly turning the game back to a 9th situation where the free rules won’t be sufficient to play with any longer.

On 11/25/2023 at 12:40 PM, Arikel said:

I think the issue is that they give just enough free rules to play a game, but anything official that provides even minor variation or flavour, like secondaries and crusade rules are still locked behind pay walls. Admittedly they are still offering more than they were for 9th, where the free rules weren’t even really enough to set up and play a game. 

It’s also disappointing to me that they appear to remove the indexes once a codex comes out, basically slowly turning the game back to a 9th situation where the free rules won’t be sufficient to play with any longer.

…wait so you thought they were going to continue providing free rules, instead of making money off of them?

9 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

…wait so you thought they were going to continue providing free rules, instead of making money off of them?

They wouldn't be the first games company to adopt this model, even though, yes, it's very out of character for GW themselves. There are quite a few games now where you can get not only the rules for free, but an app containing all the models and their rules also. GW are still the whale in the pond that's for sure, especially in non-skirmish games, but they are behind the times in a lot of ways. 

19 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I was hoping they would leave the indexes up for the duration of the edition. Codexes would have been required for the  new detachments and units only, similar to how crusade and competitive secondary rules are locked behind paywalls.

I am not surprised that they started to remove indexes as the codexes come out though. Typical GW practice after all. I do reserve the right to be disappointed in them again though;) 

If secondary objectives are not in the core matched play section, they technically are not apart of the core game. However if secondary objectives are apart of the comp matched play rules then that's the core game, because that's what 9th was- matched comp rules from the seperate publication. 

On 11/27/2023 at 5:21 AM, Progenitor said:

They wouldn't be the first games company to adopt this model, even though, yes, it's very out of character for GW themselves. There are quite a few games now where you can get not only the rules for free, but an app containing all the models and their rules also. GW are still the whale in the pond that's for sure, especially in non-skirmish games, but they are behind the times in a lot of ways. 

Yeah I’m never paying extra for rules that should have been in the main rule book or codexes.