Upcoming releases discussion

apologist

6 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

I agree the Demolisher Russ is a tad redundant.

I'm only using Battle scribe rules atm so could be wrong, don't you lose 2 tpt bases if you upgrade the Dracosan to have the Demolisher cannon?

Yes, Dracosan loses half of its transport capacity by taking the demolisher cannon.

The Demolisher Russ might struggle a bit in LI as the Auxilia tank range has been basically saturated with excess demolisher cannons, but its nice to have the model for other Epics where their role is less swamped by everyone and their dog and there's more distinction between longer range battle tanks and shorter fire support units for assaults.

1 hour ago, Sherrypie said:

The second Stormsword is cheaper than another one in its own squadron, even if the third one doesn't up the discount. But yeah, the siege cannon is oddly weak in its effect even if the range is nice. Not exactly the kind of fearful boom it's been previously.

Ah true good point, well at least we can all be happy there's a return to some incentive on adding to existing detachments before starting new ones. It almost seems like they forgot how robust they made structures, its a theme too because even with some of the titan weapons can feel underwhelming for what they should be doing to a civilan building. 

43 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

I agree the Demolisher Russ is a tad redundant.

I'm only using Battle scribe rules atm so could be wrong, don't you lose 2 tpt bases if you upgrade the Dracosan to have the Demolisher cannon?

Ya true, sorry it can still feel like for because for some reason i always think ogryns take up two slots and somehow don't lol

34 minutes ago, Sherrypie said:

Yes, Dracosan loses half of its transport capacity by taking the demolisher cannon.

The Demolisher Russ might struggle a bit in LI as the Auxilia tank range has been basically saturated with excess demolisher cannons, but its nice to have the model for other Epics where their role is less swamped by everyone and their dog and there's more distinction between longer range battle tanks and shorter fire support units for assaults.

I have some hope for the other russ varients seeing the demolisher is at least a bit cheaper than the normal russ squadrons. If the lascannon turret one is affordable that'd be nice. I've really come to like accurate in general. I'm still really hoping we the siege weapon special rule on one of the new russes or super heavy's weapons, where you double weapon range if the model doesn't move. 

So we're back to scaling down costs for larger detachments after the last book made everything msu with flat costs? Lol.

Both the demo russes and stormsword seem to run into the same problem; the hellhammer cannon has been available since launch. 190 for 2 hellhammers with the same wound pool and save as the 175 russes, but better CAF, no damage drop off when suffering your 1st and 3rd wounds, and like way more guns with 4 more autocannon shots, 4 more lascannon shots, and 8 more heavy bolter shots. The stormsword at least has a great range to set it apart, but like, 1 shot feels terrible for shooting buildings and pretty much everything else.

Sicaran look solid, though it depends how overwatch heavy your friends are. Hard to use their missiles if you can't move into range properly.

1 hour ago, malika666 said:

Am I the only one who's a bit bored of the releases? I mean, it's awesome that all the existing 30k models will get LImp scaled counterparts, but I was kinda hoping for some units unique to this scale...

In a world where a so many people are moaning how the absurdly bloated marine range isn't wholly available from day one, no, not really. I don't mind waiting for an occasional scale-specific new hit in good time while the mainstay units come out first, if for nothing else to just get that whinging to stop first :D

Let there first be the classic tanks, maybe even breachers or some similar units and so on, if that's what people need to be capable of engaging. I'm happy plugging away at gazillion Russes and regular joes while I wait, no hurry.

On 5/20/2024 at 8:06 PM, malika666 said:

Am I the only one who's a bit bored of the releases? I mean, it's awesome that all the existing 30k models will get LImp scaled counterparts, but I was kinda hoping for some units unique to this scale...

I think in terms of the opportunity the setting could allow, definitely yes. If you think of Primarchs, Admech, more Heresy-specific units and factions (crazed ordinatus Daemon machines!) that the scale would allow - in that sense some existing tank types with different turrets on is not exactly mind blowing.

But I guess there is a sales/marketing model to adhere to - drip-feed new releases, perhaps the sales have been good enough that for now just the more dull stuff is released, then the real system-sellers (Assault on Eternity Gate release with a sprue of Primarch minis and Khrone-crazed cultists and berserkers in 8mm :) ) will come out in a year or two?

On 5/21/2024 at 7:06 AM, malika666 said:

My very real concern is I won't even be able to purchase them. No matter how cool they are.

We still can't get SM Infantry or support, it's been over 3 months.

GW is wrecking their future here, my AT group can't be bothered with LI for that reason, which leaves me with 2/3 of an army which will just be shelf ornaments. 

I'm going to enjoy painting them, but I fully don't expect to actually be able to collect the whole SM range.

20240518_112647.thumb.jpg.1f17183c492786bc7598bef98721e5d0.jpg

At least Solar dudes are available :biggrin:

What do we think the odds are of an open-backed artillery kit coming along?

I'm planning some marine artillery (for modelling purposes, I know the rules don't allow it) and love the idea of marines as artillery shell loaders being visible on the vehicle.

I can do it with Vanguard minis but would hold fire (hoho) if there is something official coming.

On 5/24/2024 at 9:46 AM, Pacific81 said:

What do we think the odds are of an open-backed artillery kit coming along?

I'm planning some marine artillery (for modelling purposes, I know the rules don't allow it) and love the idea of marines as artillery shell loaders being visible on the vehicle.

I can do it with Vanguard minis but would hold fire (hoho) if there is something official coming.

I have a strong feeling it will be the arquitor, which is sorta self-contained without external crew, though it might be possible to arrange some that look ok. A suggestion might be doing solar aux arty as count as marines and just taking them as part of 30% allies but still painting them as marines. There's some marine medusa/basilisks that are open at the back and there are marines with artillery shell files about.