Upcoming releases discussion

apologist

Posted (edited)

Three months on, and we've seen some releases (even if actually buying them is proving a challenge); and today's WarCom preview has confirmed two things:

• New models – Termites are the first to be previewed for a while.
  • Continuing support:

There’s still plenty to come from [...] Warhammer: Legions Imperialis, both of which are still fully planned and supported, and more releases are scheduled in the second half of this year. .

Thought it'd be worthe revisting this thread, so I've updated the opening post – looks like I was wrong about Legion rules, and wave 1 releases; though the rest seems to have panned out largely as predicted.

Looking again at, Chaosbunker's rundown of what we're currently missing from the Legions Astartes when compared with the Age of Darkness list, here's where we are now. The only actually new entry is the Termite, but I've copied the text for quick reference.

• Infantry
    • Close Combat Terminators
    • Destroyer Squads
    • Breacher Squad
    • Recon Squad
    • Scout Squad
    • Seeker Squad
  • Transports
    • Drop Pods
    • Dreadnought Drop Pods
    • Deathstorm Drop Pod
    • Dreadclaw Drop Pod
    • Kharybdis Assault Claw
    • Termite
  • Vanguard
    • Outrider (bikes)
    • Sky-Hunter (jetbikes)
    • Javelins
    • Land Speeder
    • Sabre Tanks
  • Armour/Artillery
    • Predator (Flamestorm Cannon, Plasma, Hvy Conversion, Magna-Melta, Graviton, Volkie, Neutron Blaster)
    • Sicaran Arcus
    • Sicaran Venator
    • Sicaran Punisher
    • Land Raider
    • Vindicator
    • Land Raider Spartan
    • Whirlwind Scorpius
    • Arquitors
    • Damocles Rhino
  • Superheavy Armour
    • Cerberus
    • Typhon
    • Glaive
    • Fellblade
    • Falchion
    • Mastodon
  • Flyer
    • Sokar Stormbird

Future releases

The teased Subterranean Assault Formation would give the game away that it involves Termites, but I wonder if we might see any of the other outstanding models themed around this? None really spring to mind, except perhaps for Breachers or Close Combat Terminators – but that might be wishful thinking.

If not those, then what else might we expect to come out with this release? A poster on Maximal Fire's Legions Imperialis Discord channel suggested that the theme for the implied expansion could be Tallarn, based on the number of Iron Warrior models we've seen featured in previews. If that's the case, it'd be a good way to tick off a number of Armour and Superheavy Armour units...

Edited by apologist

Thanks for the list Brother.

For completion, would it possible to add the things we have like Tacticals etc and normal TDA, etc as a tracking tool?

As someone without the 28mm game itself I always feel in the dark a bit.

And maybe the Solar stuff too?

On 4/11/2024 at 4:12 PM, apologist said:

Three months on, and we've seen some releases (even if actually buying them is proving a challenge); and today's WarCom preview has confirmed two things:

• New models – Termites are the first to be previewed for a while.
  • Continuing support:

Thought it'd be worthe revisting this thread, so I've updated the opening post – looks like I was wrong about Legion rules, and wave 1 releases; though the rest seems to have panned out largely as predicted.

Looking again at, Chaosbunker's rundown of what we're currently missing from the Legions Astartes when compared with the Age of Darkness list, here's where we are now. The only actually new entry is the Termite, but I've copied the text for quick reference.

• Infantry
    • Close Combat Terminators
    • Destroyer Squads
    • Breacher Squad
    • Recon Squad
    • Scout Squad
    • Seeker Squad
  • Transports
    • Drop Pods
    • Dreadnought Drop Pods
    • Deathstorm Drop Pod
    • Dreadclaw Drop Pod
    • Kharybdis Assault Claw
    • Termite
  • Vanguard
    • Outrider (bikes)
    • Sky-Hunter (jetbikes)
    • Javelins
    • Land Speeder
    • Sabre Tanks
  • Armour/Artillery
    • Predator (Flamestorm Cannon, Plasma, Hvy Conversion, Magna-Melta, Graviton, Volkie, Neutron Blaster)
    • Sicaran Arcus
    • Sicaran Venator
    • Sicaran Punisher
    • Land Raider
    • Vindicator
    • Land Raider Spartan
    • Whirlwind Scorpius
    • Arquitors
    • Damocles Rhino
  • Superheavy Armour
    • Cerberus
    • Typhon
    • Glaive
    • Fellblade
    • Falchion
    • Mastodon
  • Flyer
    • Sokar Stormbird

Future releases

The teased Subterranean Assault Formation would give the game away that it involves Termites, but I wonder if we might see any of the other outstanding models themed around this? None really spring to mind, except perhaps for Breachers or Close Combat Terminators – but that might be wishful thinking.

If not those, then what else might we expect to come out with this release? A poster on Maximal Fire's Legions Imperialis Discord channel suggested that the theme for the implied expansion could be Tallarn, based on the number of Iron Warrior models we've seen featured in previews. If that's the case, it'd be a good way to tick off a number of Armour and Superheavy Armour units...

Thanks, this is really helpful - and shows how backwards their whole vision is from my perspective: I want Epic to be about tanks! At 28mm either I can’t afford them, or they won’t fit in the cupboard, or they won’t fit in the army list, etc etc. So I will only ever own a super-heavy at Epic scale and yet those seem to be last to be done? I guess I should be grateful those Land Raiders coming soon, and I have my Sicarans.

The problem with the Land Raider is that it’s just another transport. It’ll get the job done as a tank, but it’s not a dedicated battle tank and it was released after a tank that does a better job at both roles (albeit more expensive in game). This is why the Termite announcement is kind of lackluster, it’s just another transport. Granted, it has a cool gimmick but it has a low transportation count and its weaponry is just… yeah. 

It also exacerbates the problem of Infantry. We have very little options and as I’ve said before, Astartes infantry feel kinda… meh… especially when compared to Aux. They do have better shooting, but they need something that will hold its own in CQB. Dropping off two bases of Astartes doesn’t mean much when two bases of Veletarii will easily wipe out twice that amount in close combat. 

1 hour ago, DuskRaider said:

The problem with the Land Raider is that it’s just another transport. It’ll get the job done as a tank, but it’s not a dedicated battle tank and it was released after a tank that does a better job at both roles (albeit more expensive in game). This is why the Termite announcement is kind of lackluster, it’s just another transport. Granted, it has a cool gimmick but it has a low transportation count and its weaponry is just… yeah. 

It also exacerbates the problem of Infantry. We have very little options and as I’ve said before, Astartes infantry feel kinda… meh… especially when compared to Aux. They do have better shooting, but they need something that will hold its own in CQB. Dropping off two bases of Astartes doesn’t mean much when two bases of Veletarii will easily wipe out twice that amount in close combat. 

I guess I look at it from the opposite perspective - I am very happy for infantry to be very generic / abstract at that scale. They’ve already shown they can’t really give small buffs and end up overbalancing things: like World Eaters trait is sort-of too good? And ‘rend’ is painfully good? So be careful what you wish for asking for more infantry types. But yeah, I am mostly thinking about marine vs marine games.

11 hours ago, LameBeard said:

I guess I look at it from the opposite perspective - I am very happy for infantry to be very generic / abstract at that scale. They’ve already shown they can’t really give small buffs and end up overbalancing things: like World Eaters trait is sort-of too good? And ‘rend’ is painfully good? So be careful what you wish for asking for more infantry types. But yeah, I am mostly thinking about marine vs marine games.

Or Infiltrate… I get what you’re saying and don’t get me wrong, I’m happy we got Land Raiders, but I think Astartes need more variety outside of a billion different transport options. 

4 hours ago, DuskRaider said:

Or Infiltrate… I get what you’re saying and don’t get me wrong, I’m happy we got Land Raiders, but I think Astartes need more variety outside of a billion different transport options. 

Ha...I've got something disappointing to tell you. Check these still to be released units:

• Dreadclaw Drop Pod
  • Kharybdis Assault Claw
  • Mastodon
  • Sokar Stormbird

I don't think they'll bother doing marine basilisks/medusa, I think they'll do the aqruitor and probably whirlwinds 

On 4/13/2024 at 10:37 AM, LameBeard said:

Yeah I do think it's a be careful what you wish for kinda thing. The world eaters trait is obviously just so good like the rg trait. 

19 hours ago, DuskRaider said:

It's also weird that infiltrate, especially unlimited infiltrate, makes transports really feel pointless outside of maybe offering some additional protection. I get the complaint of aux having two different inf units with rend, but I do think people write off terminators a bit too quickly, the ability to deep strike alone is huge. 

Has a similar list been compiled for the Solar Auxilia yet?

Right now what's missing are the following units (please correct me here):

*Veletaris Vanguards (either armed with Heavy Flamers or Rotor Cannons)

*Auxilia Companions

*Hermes Light Sentinel

*Aurox Armoured Transport

*Carnodon

*Medicae Section

*Minotaur Artillery Tank
*Colossus Bombard
*Destroyer

*Thunderer

*Probably some more Leman Russ variants

*Leviathan  

5 hours ago, malika666 said:

Has a similar list been compiled for the Solar Auxilia yet?

Right now what's missing are the following units (please correct me here):

*Veletaris Vanguards (either armed with Heavy Flamers or Rotor Cannons)

*Auxilia Companions

*Hermes Light Sentinel

*Aurox Armoured Transport

*Carnodon

*Medicae Section

*Minotaur Artillery Tank
*Colossus Bombard
*Destroyer

*Thunderer

*Probably some more Leman Russ variants

*Leviathan  

The russ variants have box art that's in the rulebook, so ones with twin autocannon and plasma turrets are coming in plastic at some point. I don't think they'll do all that in plastic, they might do the aurox and carnadon as light armour. I think there's a higher chance of, like with russes, seeing heavy sentinels with different weapons than seeing the hermes light sentinels. 

On 4/16/2024 at 12:24 AM, Crablezworth said:

The russ variants have box art that's in the rulebook, so ones with twin autocannon and plasma turrets are coming in plastic at some point. I don't think they'll do all that in plastic, they might do the aurox and carnadon as light armour. I think there's a higher chance of, like with russes, seeing heavy sentinels with different weapons than seeing the hermes light sentinels. 

Yes, I think that's very much the reason for the advance pic of the Leman Russ box being labelled 'Leman Russ Strike Squadron' – i.e. we can have a Leman Russ [something else] Squadron' to justify a release of different weapon options.

In terms of infantry (and the Hermes), I would guess we'll see how GW play it with the Marines first. If they release the missing infantry types (breachers etc.) as a mixed sprue, we'll probably see the Solar Auxilia getting a similar treatment, with a sprue including Storm Sections with volkites; Auxilia with rotor cannons etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Hermes appearing there as an equivalent to the Ogryns or Hermes.

What's making me less confident that we'll see such boxes is the naming scheme. Where all the tanks have had extremely specific names like 'Legions Astartes Land Raider Proteus Squadron', the infantry are simply 'Legions Astartes Infantry'. If we are to expect further boxes of infantry, I would have expected the first to be specifically 'Mark VI Infantry' or 'Reinforced Tactical formation' or something.

2 hours ago, apologist said:

Yes, I think that's very much the reason for the advance pic of the Leman Russ box being labelled 'Leman Russ Strike Squadron' – i.e. we can have a Leman Russ [something else] Squadron' to justify a release of different weapon options.

In terms of infantry (and the Hermes), I would guess we'll see how GW play it with the Marines first. If they release the missing infantry types (breachers etc.) as a mixed sprue, we'll probably see the Solar Auxilia getting a similar treatment, with a sprue including Storm Sections with volkites; Auxilia with rotor cannons etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Hermes appearing there as an equivalent to the Ogryns or Hermes.

What's making me less confident that we'll see such boxes is the naming scheme. Where all the tanks have had extremely specific names like 'Legions Astartes Land Raider Proteus Squadron', the infantry are simply 'Legions Astartes Infantry'. If we are to expect further boxes of infantry, I would have expected the first to be specifically 'Mark VI Infantry' or 'Reinforced Tactical formation' or something.

Judging from Andy’s cheeky Instagram post I think we will get an Assault Infantry and Support Infantry box and a Heavy Support and Assault Demi-Company

17 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

For the people who don't have an Instagram account, what's the cliff notes for the Post?

Even if you have Instagram you can't see the post since the account is private.

6 hours ago, malika666 said:

Even if you have Instagram you can't see the post since the account is private.

Yeah, but @Marshal Rohr made a comment about said post's content, so assumedly they have access to the post.

Since I, and seemingly a number of other people cannot access the post, I asked what was actually in it since I am unable to go and verify it myself.

What were we trying to look at again? :biggrin:

If GW do do an extra sprue for assault and support troops it will be a 'first' for epic. I don't think there has ever been a case where a mini available on one sprue has then been made available on another, but please correct me here if I am wrong. Unless the unit is very different to the existing one (assault troops in mk3, support troops with lascannons etc.) I am not sure it makes sense, as that release would be competing against one already available. 

On a separate note, I see WD500 is just about to release. Would be great if they referenced the game that started the whole Horus Heresy thing (1st edition Epic) and by extension Legions Imperialis! But unfortunately, with the exception of the one preview and battle report, the magazine and staff seem to not know that the game exists. 

My pedantry chance at last! Wasn’t there a time when you could get a bonus terminator or two on the stompas sprue as well as the marine sprue? Or was that a grey knight?

Given “no model, no rules” don’t we expect other devastator marines? Or maybe this is the time Forgeworld will get back into Epic and give us resin?

16 hours ago, LameBeard said:

My pedantry chance at last! Wasn’t there a time when you could get a bonus terminator or two on the stompas sprue as well as the marine sprue? Or was that a grey knight?

Given “no model, no rules” don’t we expect other devastator marines? Or maybe this is the time Forgeworld will get back into Epic and give us resin?

You may be right there @LameBeard ! Although I am not sure if the terminators only came on that stompas sprue (at least initially) along with the other random stuff (shock attack guns, Eldar dreadnoughts and chaos Androids etc.) Then there was another marine sprue had that had your tacticals, devastators, assault etc.

This is all a while ago now though so I might very well be wrong on that! And I know it changed up for the Epic 40000 releases.

Not sure about FW - but only that I'm sure the prices will drive anyone but the most wealthy into the arms of 3d printers!

9 hours ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

I'd love a Dev Demi Company; my main opponent has mass tanks and big Titans, they cause me pain and I need to give them some back.

You definitely seem to see a lot of max 8 support unit spam already - it's just so effective for the points and versatile. I think if you had companies of the guys without a rule or points nerf then tacticals would disappear altogether!

Agreed, it needs controlling. 

I wouldn't bother with a whole Demi of them, but another sprue or two with a bunch of heavy weapon options along with some more Jump packs and TDA would make Stobz a happy Stobz.

Assuming our evil overlords make enough to supply the Antipodes before 2035.