Apparently, I'm Doing the Primaris Thing (but Not Really) - First Conversions

These look ace, the adjusted leg armour and kneeplates look so much better than the more smooth and rounded design of the original models. The extra cabling is also nice and overall throws the mind back to the original Tactical Marine boxes. Great job!

@Sir Clausel Thanks! This means a lot coming from you!

@MoriyaSchism I'll make sure to try this out for the next batch of models. These guys were proper test models: I wanted to see how much time and effort it takes to do certain things and, with the limited time, I relied on GS due to how quick it is to work with. I fear that anything involving Milliput requires more planning: for me this means at least a 30-minute session. I'll use it, though, when I have more models to do at the same time.

@Brother Argent Thank you, I appreciate this. Seeing some planning to do a similar thing is extremely reasuring: this means that putting all this work to mess some Primaris models up isn't as stupid as it may seem. Sure, it would've been way easier to rely on the single, ready-made armour mark, but apparently I'm very stubborn and don't learn from my mistakes. Consequently, I get myself involved in quite extensive hobby projects again and again even though I've sworn not to do this and instead paint models as they are or get into 3D printing. (Or this isn't a mistake and time sink and I just like some oldschool converting and scratch building, who knows?).

20 hours ago, Brother Argent said:

I don't have any experience with sculpting, at least not half decently, so hats off to you and your amazing work

Oh, I'm rubbish as sculpting, too. Luckily I have a horde of Oldmarines to steal details from. Instant mould (I think it's called blue stuff now) really helps a lot with copying details.

@Pearson73 Thanks for leaving a comment, I'm glad you like these. I was aiming at making them more like the old Tac Marines.

Here are some more photos: modified backpacks and an arm for the missile launcher guy.

image.thumb.jpeg.57afd3736fa0d0d2986be977b5a92c2c.jpeg

I've extended the arm by 1mm and added some armour to make it more like the updated Primaris arms.

image.thumb.jpeg.9d2c80473f7a305eac68cadd47c9eb19.jpeg

So, after converting the first 5 models I've revaluated and updated the scope of the project. As I've already remarked earlier, I'm cutting down on some of the originally planned modifications, most importantly the ankle joints and, I think, the backpacks. Given the time it takes, I feel I'm unable to modify them to a satisfactory standard.

I consider this a failure since I'm pulling out of things I considered to be fundamental to the project. Life often verifies our plans in unexpected ways, right?

However, I have an excellent explanation that somewhat lessens my self-imposed shame. The Primaris models have a distinct aesthetic; the main differences are the extra armour (the additional 'layer' of armour on the chest plate, on the thighs, and even greaves; the inbuilt 'shield' on melee marines; tassels) and an introduction of circular bits (ankle joints; backpacks). Given the target size of the Primaris collection, I can't expect to 'fix' all of that for all the models. I might still redo some models to the degree I did these but this will be more sparing. This should also make painting them easier.

Consequently, I'll keep these features as they are because Space Marines in this "alternate universe" of mine happen to use this kind of armour (as a reminder, I don't consider these to be Primaris Marines; they are distorted versions of the Space Marines from 'my days:' before gathering storm; from the Dawn of War and Space Marine video games era). After all, artworks and video games don't recreate the old models 1:1. Call it creative licence. These guys will use longer bolters, bigger plasma guns, meltas and flamers and will have more circular details.

Nonetheless, I intent do introduce more variety to the backpacks. I'll just stick to the circular shapes more.