Anybody tried the FW miniature/art photoshop for pictures ?

15 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

BCK played with it for a bit, I'll see if I can locate them.

thanks !

From my understanding they are taking photos of the miniature from various angle and then use photoshop to modify the background and lighting around it with photoshop. Am I wrong ?

I just mucked about in PowerPoint for...maybe 30 minutes, as a creative exercise:

image.png.1c0d8ab2a0d0db6071068bc8b840748a.png

The idea is to use PowerPoint like those fancy stickerbooks my parents never got me because they were expensive:

• Open PowerPoint, choose the Layout with nothing on it, you just need a plain workspace
  • Find a photo from some warzone, I used something from CNN, insert it, fill the background
    • Format > Color > reduce Color Saturation, Format > Artistic Effects > Film Grain
  • Insert pics of your own minis, Format > Remove Background
    • Format > Color > reduce Color Saturation, Format > Artistic Effects > Film Grain
    • Some fiddling with Format > Picture Effects > Soft Edges and Shadows
  • Insert some transparent PNG of a smoke effect I found just on a web search

Boy, that was fun.  Tbh, just start by opening PowerPoint, posting some warzone photo as background, insert your mini pics and Remove Background on them, it's easier to fiddle around with that then reading what I wrote above.  What a great idea.  Thanks for that.

3 hours ago, N1SB said:

I just mucked about in PowerPoint for...maybe 30 minutes, as a creative exercise:

image.png.1c0d8ab2a0d0db6071068bc8b840748a.png

The idea is to use PowerPoint like those fancy stickerbooks my parents never got me because they were expensive:

• Open PowerPoint, choose the Layout with nothing on it, you just need a plain workspace
  • Find a photo from some warzone, I used something from CNN, insert it, fill the background
  • Insert pics of your own minis, Format > Remove Background
    • Some fiddling with Format > Picture Effects > Soft Edges and Shadows
  • Insert some transparent PNG of a smoke effect I found just on a web search

Boy, that was fun.  Tbh, just start by opening PowerPoint, posting some warzone photo as background, insert your mini pics and Remove Background on them, it's easier to fiddle around with that then reading what I wrote above.  What a great idea.  Thanks for that.

The concept looks great but I will try with photoshop has it will help me blend the mini better with the background. I still look awesome though, great work !

5 hours ago, loginomicon said:

The concept looks great but I will try with photoshop has it will help me blend the mini better with the background. I still look awesome though, great work !

I agree, use the proper tool (i.e. NOT PowerPoint).  But I can't help stop playing with it, and the benefit is when using bad tools, I figure out what's important:

image.png.5a46243b2e8ec1819f4caaf824c15931.png

In terms of important shooping effects, from top to bottom:

• It's actual picture Contrast (not the paints, but the editing effect) that's most iconic
  • Then in lower importance is that film grain effect
  • Then some transparent smoke PNG or sparks or explosions or whatever

Anyway, just fun.  This is cool, dude!  What a great idea, I should do this from now on, Imma try on my Necrons or something.

That standard bearer I got in the middle just looks terrible, ya don't do what I did, he looks like he's hovering and I was too lazy to cover up his feet.

Edited by N1SB