Games with the new DA codex. Page 4: NEW Detachment Rules!

Prot

20 minutes ago, Progenitor said:

No points reductions for DA specific units, Knights have gone up, also changes to 2 of the Detachments. 

image.png.8f0d4c92f6bce76bd63dfd6c634f1d6c.png

image.png.515204a06c6fcba57bb2753fbba3dc82.png

image.thumb.png.b71721e7dece82ba91a1e869af333c9f.png

These are some interesting changes. Knights going up makes sense because their weapons are better.

Edit: Also relevant, impulsors can carry 7 Tacticus bodies. Yea 6-man bodyguard units!

Edited by jaxom

Posted (edited)

Glad to see this is already posted.... although not nearly as exciting, I will add the amendment to the Unforgiven Detachment:

image.png.a8949e99c6f30921321534983aa95364.png

- I think the changes to the Deathwing weapons are pretty big. They are absolutely lethargic.

As I sold my last Dark Angels army and am starting from scratch I went with power swords this time. And while I think they are 'good' now, the Maces will absolutely be necessary in my meta with anti-big stuff that hoses my army.

20 Points is a pretty strong hike in an already elite heavy army. So taking 2 squads might prove just too inefficient to truly enjoy the better weapon rules. It's early to tell, but the bigger change is to 1CT which desperately needed something as well. 

I admit I continually voiced my displeasure at how easy it was to work around the ICT rules for your opponent. This makes it usable now, and although it's still pinned to infantry, (Dread's are still left out) I really hope we see this making some moves at tournaments. (Although to be honest the detachment sees zero competitive play so anything is an improvement!)

I really am a little surprised Belial is still the most lethargic iconic character in all of 40K. 

Edited by Prot

I think DWKs are definitely back on the menu. They are still durable bricks but now their offense has been significantly buffed. The sword version will now go through MEQs like vindaloo through a short granny. The Mace versions help to counter pure DW weaknesses against vehicles and monsters. Going back up to 235 points for a squad does not seem so bad when they have almost doubled their lethality.

Now that the whole MW/Dev Wound mess has been cleared up, I can see a Terminator Chaplain for the +1 to Wound and 4+++ vs MWs being worthwhile too, especially since TDA Captains have suffered a nerf to their Rites of Battle.

Edited by Karhedron

10 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Are Knights worth taking now vs normal DWT or Bladeguard?

The wording on the Vowed stuff could have been cleaned up a bit. Could have just said all objectives are Vowed. 

Well I am just guessing here, but I think the reason they worded it this way is to give the player some tough decisions.... imagine about Mid game you have a Mid table Objective, but you don't have the 2 other no man's land objectives. 

Depending on the Secondary cards you have, or have not drawn, you may decide you are going into 'defensive footing' and make your stand at Mid table. OR you declare 'offensive push' and decide that what you have at Mid will have to do without the advantage of the vow, and you're trusting the cards you need and units you have will benefit from Vowing the Objectives you don't have.

I think it's an awesome mechanic. I will be trying it tonight. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I do think this -might- make it reasonable to take 2 squads of Deathwing again. Honestly I was having more success with ICT by taking OUT all termies. Sad I know, but I was getting pasted by opponents that I normally do pretty well against. The 'narrative' of my lists was absolutely killing my win rate. 

I'm still up in the air on Inner Champs. I sold the last 6 I painted. They were just horrific underachievers. Some people on the interwebs are super hot on them.... I'm not there yet. I actually have found Asmodai and 6 Bladeguard had (prior to this update at least) more potency than any termies and any Inner Champ combo's. 

I think Scouts are essential as the Deathwing went up. (I'm not sure if that's justified yet.)

Looking forward to my test tonight. I don't know what I'm playing against, but I just hope the dice are kind. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2024 at 5:57 AM, Malakithe said:

Yeah I was looking at the inner circle guys. Once again they are comparable to Bladeguard who are still likely better in all situations. 

It depends on the combos.  I like Azrael with Inner Circle. I like Calgar and Tiggy with Bladeguard (Not that there's a choice)  But Azrael overlaps with Bladeguard, while Tiggy WOULD overlap with ICC.