Necron Unit of the Week Series: Canoptek Doomstalker

NTaW

NECRON UNIT OF THE WEEK SERIES

Welcome to the Necron Unit of the Week series for 10th edition! Each week will see a different unit from the Codex, Imperial Armour, and Legends datasheets featured for discussion. The goal here is to discover and chronicle tactics for the featured unit so that new players and veterans alike can use this database to inform their strategies with the wider knowledge of the forum. The game of Warhammer 40,000 is ever changing though, and as the rules evolve throughout the edition everyone should feel free to return to older threads with the release of new FAQs/errata, changes in points values, information gathered from games played, and of course the Codex being released. These threads are also great places for newcomers to the Necrons to post their questions about tactics related to the featured units.

Please note that the purpose of this series is not to lament what the current meta deems “ineffective”, or that another unit “does it better”. Those units will get their own threads.

This week’s unit is:

Canoptek Doomstalker

What units are you shooting at most with your Doomstalkers?

Do you take multiples in a list?

Are there any useful auras or abilities worth keeping close by?

Has it been vulnerable due to its physical height?

How useful has the Sentinel Construct ability been?

Series Index

I finally love the Doomstalker so far in 10th. I haven't really compared it mathematically with DDA but it feels different enough now to not just be a worse version of it. It does kill vehicles alright but it LOVES killing elite infantry or light vehicles. I need to use mine more. I only have 2 right now but I've yet to bring them and regret it.

Throughout 9th it just felt like a bad copy of a DDA. I know for awhile people were bringing 3 with a technomancer to buff them but that turned out to be as costly as 3 DDAs but more vulnerable to getting shut down (kill the cryptek, make them spread out, charge them since they're clustered up, et cetera). Glad the model finally feels worth it. Obviously it's going to be best in the Canoptek detachment.

I've had no problems with the height aside from terrain issues. Can't fit through much and low ceilings or overhangs get in the way. But I think anytime mine have been shot it was more because a leg poked out than because it was tall.

I still find it very swingy. I only use them in the Canoptek Court for obvious reasons. Great model and a lot of fun, but for the competitive player I think they're still a bit too swingy but at least now (with the new codex) they have a place.