Deathwatch: Murderers in Black (IC Thread)

Posted (edited)

Asterius:

All was quiet in the Medicae. He could hear nothing this close to death. 

He couldn't even hear the Marauder's flute or was it a lyre? The haunted screech of past hunts. 

It had brought peace, allayed the bear-shirt longing that he could not play out... 

Not yet. His legs, one was gone. 

No it was still there or did it call to the nearby bionic halve? 

What was going on? Where they on their way to the abhorrent Unknown Xenos planet? 

Maybe yet. Perchance to dream 

Edited by Machine God
Typo

Gerhardt

The Templar and the Red Scorpion scowled at one another through the bars, two fanatics cut from different cloth. He found the other's insistence upon following the prescriptions of Guilliman’s precious Codex to be grating in the extreme when mere common sense a modicum of tactical accumen coupled with strength at arms was largely necessary to see one through most conflicts.

“What do you want, Brother Omoc? Have you come to gloat, or perhaps berate me for my lapse of control? What does your Codex recommend in times such as these?" 

Omoc sneered back at him but remained silent, not rising to his bait.

He sighed, “Fine, then. Forgive my words – I have no quarrel with you. What do you require of this wretch?" 

The Red Scorpion stared back at Gerhardt a few moments longer, then produced a data slate.

“Listen and remember, if you can, Templar." 

The last words of Dendinius emitted from the tinny little speaker, distorting his words slightly.

“... It must be done…" 

The vox recording looped, playing again, and again, and again.

“ENOUGH!" 

Gerhardt’s chest was heaving.

“So it's torture then, eh? Well…" 

He paused, the snippet of a memory dancing in his mind.

“Wait! There was more, he said more to me before I ran my blade home. I remember now…" 

He crawled towards Omoc and grasped the bars, his hands grimy and wrists raw.

“He said, he said, ‘I'm sorry, brother, but it must be done.’ That is all I remember, Brother Omoc. I am sorry; there must have been more, but nothing else returns to me as yet. Now begone!"

Omoc

"Is it pride or fear that motivates your desire for solitude, or perhaps shame that your will was so easily swayed? Even one as stubborn as a son of Dorn must understand that Dendinius may have called for his own death... if your memories hold true."

Was it truth or was it another trick of warp-craft? "You carry the taint of the immaterium around you like a dark cloud and there can be no peace for you while there is any uncertainty as to its source."

He stood to one side. If nothing else the Templar might yet serve as bait.

Posted (edited)

Gerhardt

"No…no! That's impossible! The witch, the witch used me?! He used me?! HE USED ME, OMOC!" 

Gerhardt shook the bars with inhuman fury, his chains rattling like metal bones as understanding dawned upon him. His eyes and face spasmed and contorted with rage as he struggled against his bonds.

“Damn you, damn Dendinius, and damn this entire enterprise, Scorpion! Damn this sordid nest of vipers, and damn the Inquisition! What hell is this?! I was used! Used damn you…" 

He felt deranged mirth well up through the growing cracks in his psyche despite his awful position, for what else could one do but laugh at the absurdity of it all? 

His insane laughter pealed out like some terrible bell as his sanity took a leave of absence, reverberating within the small chamber.

“HA HA HA HA HA HA!”

Taking a very small liberty here per my sidebar conversation with our intrepid GM…

Willpower Test vs Insanity: 55
D100: 93; failure with 3 DoF

Insanity Points: 1D5 + 2
5 (D5) + 2 = 7

Edited by Necronaut

Omoc

"Self pity is for the weak"

It occured to the Scorpion that no-one may yet have bothered to apprise Gerhardt of the apothecarys' findings. "The librarian had been poisoned, his death was inevitable. Your fate must wait until the true traitor is found."

Perhaps he wasted his time, even if the Deathwatch absolved him the Templars would not.

Váfri

Unspooling the line Azadth had handed to him in such a way that it stayed taught, he tried to find a suitable angle with it. He only had to gesture to the right to rule that side of the chamber out; there was no way it would clear the Mantis Warrior's torso from there. He began pacing steadily to the left. This was more promising, but the angle was too high.

He recalled what the Apothecary had said during his briefing. The puncture mark on the slain Codicier.

"We're looking for a shooter. Something like a needle gun, to introduce the toxin?"

Azadth had said little about the task they were engaged in, which he supposed was in keeping with what he knew of Oothecans. He could appreciate that. The Mantis Warrior had trusted that Váfri would see the purpose in the deed without needing it explained beforehand. He was fairly certain his own comments were unnecessary, but he liked to talk when he was working at something.

He crouched down to get a lower angle, played out a little more of the string, and shuffled into the corner of the cell.

"About here. Looks too tight and too low for one of us to aim. I'd say a mortal had to make the shot."

If someone had been there recently, perhaps they had been careless enough to leave a trace scent behind? He sniffed the air, then the wall, and then lowered his nose to the flagstones. If this seemed odd to his battle-brother, well, it would be a small price to pay if it yielded information.

Awareness using Heightened Senses: Smell (Per 44 +10)
D100: 42 = Pass, 1DoS

OOC: Glad your hand is better, @Urauloth!

Azadth:

The Mantis Warrior nodded as Váfri spoke, letting the man work without adding anything. It was important not to place ideas into the Wolf's head, but to let destiny reveal it's mighty mysteries. Indeed, the hunter was keen, his faculties a boon in this madness, a gift from the Sky-Khan to unseat the Dark One even now ready with a dagger for their backs.

Váfri's methods were his own, and of no affront to anyone who lived in the Green, every faculty had to be turned to survival. The rustle of a bole-vore, the tremble of the ground hiding a leg-snapper or the gentle whistle of a grab-lizard. The stench of animal corpses trussed in the hemlock weed, the abode of almost translucent Spitting Arachasae, which in turn were prey-diet of the Great Lotus Mantis, which hid in the trumpet-shaped blossoms arrayed along the tree branches. Dense lianas and brilliant flashes of colour after the rain, the humidity and shrilling of the jungle beasts.

Lethal killers in the beauty.

The sudden light in Váfri's eyes told Azadth he'd caught the scent of a potential culprit. He envisioned the assassin. A smaller human, crouched in the corner, sweating, hoping his shot did the trick. Yet was he the perpetrator of Dendinius' demise, or merely the tool? How had he come into the room? No-one could sneak up on a Seer, he'd tried. Even if a pretence existed - my lord, I bring a repast - the Librarian would have scanned the man's mind.

Unless the man - or woman - was a Seer, too...

Váfri's wyrdward caught the light as the Wolf moved.

...or the trigger-man was protected...

Azadth stood, offered the Wolf a smile as he slowly pulled the string free and rolled up the ball. They must see past the delightful colours masking the truth. They had to see the killer waiting for them hidden in the bell of petals. The serfs told of locked doors, sealed bastions. Sabotage, perhaps. Easier than getting the lockout codes. A man acting alone would do that.

He aired his suspicions lightly, not cementing his ideas.

'What do you think, my friend?'

Posted (edited)

Vafri: There are obviously some quite strong odours that pervade the cell; the light incense of the votive candles overpowered by the strong, rich scent of Astartes blood.

Your hunter's nose is able to block these smells out, to an extent, searching for the odours of another body in hiding - anticipation, sweat, fear. But there is nothing, an oddity if the enemy did indeed conceal themselves in this corner.

Then, just as you are about to give up, you might detect something. Something clean, sterile, with just the faintest hint of vulcanised rubber. Like a surgical glove such as a Medicae serf might wear?

Edited by Lysimachus

Zidemi: 

“Rest assured, Magos, you have been of great assistance,” Zidemi replied kindly. “We have no need of this compound ourselves, but we are concerned with it being employing against our forces.”

Zidemi hesitated for a second, considering his next words. As much as he had avoided contemplating it thus far, the prospect of internal subterfuge was becoming more likely now the Ordo Hereticus were implicated. He had to be cautious with the information he shared with others. Nevertheless, he needed to trust the Mechanicus adept so they could track down who acquired this chemical.

The Techmarine proceeded to speak in techno-lingua, opting for a low-volume output to avoid being received at a distance. “Please be discreet with this information: One Kill-team member was killed in his quarters this morning. His blood stream contained trace levels of chemical VT097.65. A wound on the body suggests that VT097.65 was injected prior to his death.”

Zidemi then returned to speaking with his human vocals. “Is there anything more you can reveal about this chemical, its applications, and any recent requisitions?”

Posted (edited)

Amaras/Zidemi: The diminutive Magos listens, then frowns and answers in an equally low tone.

“But no-one would use it to interrogate an Astartes? Initial testing included Astartes subjects…,” she holds up a placatory hand… “volunteers, of course! But while VT097.65's effects were initially very satisfactory, they were also found to be very limited, temporary? Astartes physiology apparently overcomes them completely in less than an hour, nowhere near enough time to carry out a proper interrogation. It might knock a Space Marine out while their systems counteracted the effects; initial physical paralysis, make them relaxed, drowsy, hard for them to focus mentally? Nothing serious… I suspect some of your more savage kin might even enjoy the effects! But after they'd been dosed once, it wouldn't work at all a second time. The subjects had gained total immunity! Cost to effect ratio makes it a very poor choice against Astartes.”

“Unless…”

She takes a deep breath, more worried by what she is about to say next.

“Your fallen team-mate… I heard that one of the most recent Astartes arrivals was a psyker? What your kind call a ‘Librarian’? Was it him?”

Eleandor pauses, looking between you. Your silence is all the answer she needs.

“Use on psykers should be even less likely. In fact, it is prohibited. Some mental barriers you do not want lowered! Rumour says the first team that initially worked on the development of VT097.65 found that out, to the cost of their lives and those of many others at the research facility where the drug was developed. A bloody massacre. Now we know better.”

She shakes her head.

“If you will forgive conjecture on my part, I would therefore surmise that whoever applied VT097.65 to your Librarian - assuming they fully understood the properties and uses of the compound they were using - would not have been intending to interrogate him. Instead, I can only postulate that their intent was that he would succumb to its effects and cause an empyric breach.”

“A terrifying prospect. A potential disaster for the entire Bulwark. Perhaps even more concerning, it also suggests that whoever employed it has an utter lack of normal caution about using the Empyrean as a weapon. Sheer madness.”

Bekkar/Moridyn: Aednan nods thoughtfully to himself and concludes.

“My last impression of your Librarian was of someone utterly loyal, determined to serve the Emperor to the very last. A courageous soul. A death we might all hope for.”

He frowns then.

“Speaking of deaths, I do not know this Templar, Gerhardt… but I would be careful before judging him too harshly. Perhaps the voice of our Father the Emperor did indeed speak to him… through the gifts He gave to Codicier Dendinius? It is possible his actions saved you all.”

Azadth/Vafri: When you arrive at the Strategium, Skaayn is there, working at one of the cogitator stations. He sees you enter and waves you over.

“Come look at this. The other idea I wanted to look into. I wondered, if someone had drugged Dendinius, could we confirm who had access? Narrow down our suspects? The Watchstation is technically a separate facility within the Bulwark, securely sealed unless one has the proper permissions from the Deathwatch itself or the Ordo Xenos. These cogitators should hold a record from the portal-ward ident readers of who was within at the time leading up to the killing?”

He frowns.

“However, someone accessed the system - maybe an hour before what happened to the Librarian? - and reset it to its earliest, original settings. That removed permissions for anyone to enter the Watchstation other than Watch Astartes. None of us spotted the reset as no non-Watch staff attempted to gain access until the morning meal - I've got a message here from the Refectory staff complaining that they couldn't get in to deliver that or midday's.”

He grunts.

“We'll survive missing a few lunches. However, the reset also overwrote all records of who had entered. Ever. Several centuries worth of access data was lost, including all information from last night. Which I suspect was the real point.”

He looks up.

“Even so, on its own I'm not sure it's enough to prove the Templar innocent. What else have you found?”

Edited by Lysimachus

Zidemi: 

"Indeed. Dendinius, the Codicier." Zidemi nodded grimly at the mention of the deceased Librarian. "I concur with your assessment. It is highly probable that the assailant deliberately chose him to catalyse a Warp breach."

Zidemi paused thoughtfully for a moment. “This data does little to identify and capture the assailant, but it may yet redeem our brother, who intervened and quite possibly saved the Bulwark. Thank you, Magos Eleanor Theta-Nine-Rho," he formed the cog with his hands in an appreciative gesture. 

"Please inload the relevant data to my dataslate, as we will need to prepare a report for Watch-Captain Skaayn." Zidemi handed the dataslate promptly to the Magos. "If we require further assistance, we shall return."

He then turned to his fellow Astartes, whose patience was being sorely tested as of late. “We should deliver this data to the rest of the Kill-Team as soon as possible."

Spoiler

OOC: I have assumed the Magos has no objections and nothing else to say, and so Amaras and Zidemi will return to the Strategium to move on the investigation (otherwise, I will revise this post appropriately).

+++

Upon their return to the Strategium, the Techmarine and Apothecary find the Watch-Captain, with Vafri and Azadth, next to a cogitator. The collective mood seemed sombre, as if they were unable to act further.

"My Lord," Zidemi said as he approached, breaking the silence between the trio, "we have returned from the Laboratorium." He handed Skaayn the dataslate. "A report has been prepared for your edification, but we shall summarise:

"The chemical identified in Dendinius' blood is known as VT097.65, and is currently in storage on the Bulwark. Magos Eleandor Theta-Nine-Rho has confirmed that the last requistion was several doses provided to an Ordo Hereticus cell twenty-two months ago, for an assignment on Correllageon. The chemical itself is an interrogation drug, with very limited application on Astartes physiology. However, it is explicitly forbidden for use against psykers, due to the disastrous consequences of weakening the cognitive functions required to shield one's mind against the Empyrean.

"We posit that the drug was employed by the assailant for a singular purpose: to create an Empyrean breach that would destroy the Bulwark.”

Bekkar

Bek frowned inwardly. The giant's words gave him much to think on. Were the templar's actions his own? Had Den compelled him somehow in a desperate attempt to prevent a psychic catastrophy? It was within the realm of possibility. It troubled him still. How had Den lost control? From their time together he had known the librarian to be a skilled practitioner and not one who would easily lose control. So how had it happened? Had he been mentally overpowered? If so, who would have that power? Or was this mysterious toxin the culprit. Either way it meant there was an unknown agent working against them and that was a grave concern.

A thought occurred, "Did you sense any other psykers operating at that time? Or would you be able to tell if another was involved in the incident?"

Azadth:

Allowing the Captain to respond to the others, and leaving Váfri to disclose the traces he'd snagged, the Mantis Warrior waited until the last before he provided all his findings and suspicions harboured whilst in Dendinius' cell. He paused, let his face report the haunting of his thoughts, then shifted to his usual deprecating shrug of dismissal.

'Yet I am not adept at such matters of intrigue, Agha Skaayn,' he said.

And yet he pondered to his strengths, a carefully concealed ambush in the folds of a flower.

He took a breath, indicating his desire to speak. 'But suppose we produce a witness. Someone who is easily ignored; a stray waif hiding in the secured quarters, lost and alone of his serf parents? Someone who saw the assassin?'

He warmed to the idea, stared up into a corner at the tiny Arachasae wrapping up some flying insect that had foolishly strayed too close to the dark, webbed, crevices there.

'Some small child, barely a few summers, but old enough to speak, to point at a face on a hololith...'

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Bekkar/Moridyn: Aednan frowns.

“A good thought. There are certainly other psykers within this citadel, perhaps a hundred, even hundreds? It is not uncommon to find them serving as part of the Ordo staff - astropaths, seers, combat psykers.”

Then he shakes his head.

“But no, I do not think so. As far as I could tell, the only power that your brother battled against was his own.

OOC: I'll try to add some responses to Zidemi and Azadth over the next few days, but maybe we can assume everyone will be drawing back together at the Strategium for the next weekly update?

Bekkar

He considered the giants words as he mulled over the information he had given them. Nothing that would clarify the events further was likely and he felt as puzzled as when he arrived. Best to return to the others and see what they had learned.

“Thank you my friend. Though I confess that I still feel the answer occluded, I appreciate your insight into these matters”

Posted (edited)

Scene 4: Judgement.

“Worrying,” Skaayn responds to Zidemi, “but unfortunately logical.”

He grins at Azadth.

“As there aren't any children at the Bulwark, I assume you're thinking of proclaiming some other false witness to try and draw our assassin out of hiding? It's got definite possibilities…”

There is a loud buzz from the internal vox unit and Aarval walks over towards it.

“Hold that thought…”

The Watch-Captain speaks privately for perhaps twenty minutes. During that time the rest of Kill-Team Lucifer arrive back at the Strategium. Among the arrivals is Brother Asterius, watched over by Apothecary Amaras. The Black Shield walks slowly, carefully, still pained by his wounds and still adjusting to his new bionic limb.

Spoiler

OOC: We can assume that while Skaayn is talking, there is enough time for each group of investigators to share what they have learned with everyone else? That way, for simplicity everyone knows all the same info.

Also, as Asterius is now fitted with his bionic, he gains +2TB to his Left Leg. However, he will also temporarily suffer -5Ag while his brain/nervous system adjust to the connection to the replacement limb.

When Skaayn finishes his conversation, he looks around the team.

“Good. You're all here. That was Lord Kine. He said that the repair teams working on the Supremacy have almost finished and our timetable has been moved up. It looks like our investigation here will have to be put on hold. We depart for Dorghra VII in twelve hours.”

He smiles coldly.

“The Lord Inquisitor also asked if sentence had been carried out against the Templar. I told him no, said we were investigating and still had questions about the circumstances. Kine said he didn't care what was decided, what I decided. As far as he is concerned it is an internal Deathwatch matter… as long as it is dealt with immediately so that it does not delay our departure.”

The Raptor moves to sit on the edge of a bank of cogitators and sighs.

“That leaves me with a dilemma. Based on the evidence gathered, I am convinced that there is something happening here beneath the surface, something that may give context and purpose to Brother Gerhardt's actions. However, whatever context we might apply, it does not change the simple fact - the Templar killed Brother Dendinius. He murdered his squadmate.”

“I’d ask for your thoughts, Lucifer. Should Gerhardt face the penalty of death? Or should he be absolved of responsibility for this crime? If you allow him to keep his life, can you still fight beside him? Hell, could you still follow him into battle, for technically he is still your Watch-Sergeant? Or would it be better to choose another? Would it be better for the frankly fragile unity that this Kill-Team has built if he were… permanently removed?”

He shrugs.

“I don’t have the answers. This kind of judgement is a long way outside my area of specialty. I know that it falls to me to make this choice… but I want to hear your thoughts first.”

Edited by Lysimachus

Alda

“My Lords, Jarl Skaayn.”

Politely bowing to the group and the Jarl in turn, the latter marginally more deeply.

“I know that the decision is for the Watch alone, and I have no right to speak but as a curtsy.” Here she paused and looked at Jarl Skaayn to see if he would silence here, but after several seconds with no indication of such she continued.

“While the actus reus of the Templar is beyond doubt, from what you have uncovered the mens rea is not only in doubt, it may have been either entirely absent or on the order of Him on Earth. As such has there been a crime at all?”

“You has already lost one able Astartes, and another one is in recovery, what sense is there in denying another when the question is still open. The mission ahead as many unknowns and squandering an asset make a poor start.”

Asterius:

He was back. 

A lot had changed and he had been briefed by the Varghe

Briefed by Apothecary Amaras about the Murder. It was a strange thing to have occurred, beneath them definitely not his way. 

He was still adjusting to the bionic and the aches had only recently gone. 

He listened to his... 

His Brothers in the Long Vigil. 

He walked over to the newcomer, the breacher. 

"Well met Brother Haalec, sword and board. I'm Asterius!" 

Omoc

"He is dead already, and a traitor within these halls is far more a threat than the Inquisitors curiosity. The mortal complement should be rounded up and replaced with armsmen from the Supremecy until each can be thoroughly tested and this matter resolved."

The Templars would end Gerhardt for his failing no matter the cause. Here he would be another blackshield seeking death in battle as did Skaayn before him... Omoc felt no sympathy but could not escape the truth that their assignment here was more similar than he cared to admit.

"There is no blaming the sword that fell on Dendinius for his death was necessary, but one who has succumbed to the witch cannot lead. He would surely seek the penitents death."

Gerhardt

The Red Scorpion withdrew presently, for there was little left to glean from the Templar’s departure into madness. In time he recovered, perhaps hours or days had passed, he knew not. Gerhardt sat and brooded in silence and darkness, refusing food and drink from the guards who visited him at regular intervals.

At length he slept, and a hazy and hellish vision of his fell act emerged from the depths of his subconscious: more of the deceased Librarian’s words presented themselves. The Black Guard’s corpse spoke wordlessly to Gerhardt, his lifeless black eyes staring up at him unseeing, uncomprehending, yet still possessed of dread purpose.

“Gerhardt… Gerhardt… …I need your help.”

He reeled and suddenly sat up from where he slumbered in his cell. A disembodied voice called to him, roused him to action.

“Attacked. Mortal, all smooth… black… I didn't even… Needler… pain in my arm. Treacherous bastards.”

The Black Templar lurched to his feet like a man drunk on a Space Wolf’s Mjød, and felt for his weapon, the extension of his arm, Drachenhauer. Something was not right.

“Something in my blood… I cannot… my wards… I can feel them… circling… hungry… pressing in… pushing out.”

He staggered down the maze of corridors, not understanding his destination, yet knowing he must reach it quickly. He set his teeth and struggled to clear his head, but his mind was all in a fog. Something was terribly wrong.

“The risk - too great! I must… use your hatred… I am sorry brother, but it must be done!”

He found himself behind the librarian, holding his blade aloft. He could see the sorrow written upon the features of Dendinius, the terror at the knowledge that he was being consumed from within by things beyond his ken.

“You will not suffer, Brother Dendinius. Imperator Vult." 

+++

Gerhardt suddenly jerked awake, finding himself once again in the dank gloom of his gaol deep underground. His nostrils flared and eyes narrowed as he processed this latest revelation while the suppressed memory reasserted itself. He had slain the librarian, he had been used by Dendinius, but he had not fought the summons. Clearly he had been guided by the hand of the Emperor by way of the wayward psyker, of that he had little doubt now. Dendinius had been on the precipice of destruction by his diseased connection to the Warp, and he had mercifully severed the tie. Perhaps the librarian had suppressed the memories as a kindness? He shuddered at the thought of being manipulated by the Witch. He wondered yet if it had been weakness or a new, unified purpose that had been imprinted upon him by the Ordo Xenos psycho-conditioning that had driven him to betray his oath, or truly a higher power at work?

An oath broken was a trust betrayed no matter how one sliced it.

He scowled, fury welling up inside of him again and he roared at the guards waiting without, "Guards! Summon Watch-Captain Skaayn! I wish to confess my sins! I will speak to no other!"

Edited by Necronaut

Azadth:

The injured berserker favoured his new bionic leg, but was gruffly game with his rough camaraderie. Azadth offered a nod of greeting as the others spoke, glancing at Alda when the mortal wasn't looking in his direction.

The Scorpion stung. He wasn't wrong though.

The Mantis Warrior was reminded of the Hoplo and the Skorpus, an old child's rhyme which warned the unwary against taking honeyed words or promises over the true nature of the beast. He folded his arms into his sleeves, fingers finding the engraved scars of childhood, some placed by ritual, some earned by experience. The firepit suddenly flared into blistering heat in his mind. The scars from the cinders on his elbows, the reek of bitterherb and arrowroot filled his lungs, making everything sway and swoon. The smoke carried it all up on sweltering air, to the dark skies and striking starlight above.

'You must move well, my son,' his father counselled. 'Who will be your guide this day?'

'Rakki-tavi!' Azadth called. A heroic warrior spirit aspect of the Sky-Khan, and creature of the tropics of the Glimmering Shoals. Small of stature - fearing nothing, capable of devouring all poisonous beasts who were the enemy of man - and very sure of foot. One of the few friends humanity could count on in the Green.

Each of Azadth's tribal kin stood at the sides of the firepit, beating at his feet with long poles, the snap-crack of bamboo on wood loud, to disorientate and scare him from stepping forwards. They would try to knock him off, smash his toes. The log was a felled tree, not bare, and it rocked as he balanced on it. They chanted for Raktavi with every strike, a prayer to the Khagan for success, even as they tried to defeat it.

Rakki-tavi,

Rakki-tavi,

Rakki-tavi,

RAKKI-TAVI..!

He opened his eyes, remembered where he was.

The Kill Team needed more time. Whoever was cracking canes on their wobbly log was foiling them, keeping them off-balance, threatening to push them off to fire and death. A squad of Astartes split and destroyed, an alliance - possibly, only he checked himself - with an Ork Warlord, a murder in the night by not one man, but likely a conspiracy of several, a specialist toxin. They were distracting the Marines with noise, all while hoping the obvious would remain obscure.

And in the middle, a maniac who was prepared to destroy this keep in a warp incursion to keep secret whatever Dendinius had discovered, and as Azadth believed, by chance. 

They needed more time.

Edited by Mazer Rackham
No Pikachu's here son!

Moridyn

"Brother Aednan's words for me prove there was no malice, nor true intent in Gerhardt's actions. That does not absolve him of the crime, but it does mean that I have no distrust of him."

Moridyn looked at the Watch-Captain, then looked at Asterius.

"For punishment, Brother Gerhardt must die. So be it. The Astartes known as Gerhardt of the Black Templars will die, but a new Black Shield shall rise. Strip him of his chapter trappings, tell them that he died in dishonour. Let what time he has remaining be in service to the Deathwatch as absolution, under a new name. That is my advice."

The Watch-Captain listens carefully, nodding in agreement several times. He waits for several long minutes to see if anyone else has anything further to add. Finally he speaks.

“Good points, lads. Well then, I suppose it's up to m…”

A Watch serf enters hurriedly and Skaayn looks up with a disgruntled frown at the interruption.

“Apologies my Lord. Lord Gerh… the prisoner… wishes to speak to you. He is… quite insistent?”

The Raptor's frown deepens, then he shrugs.

“Perhaps he's got a right, before the final judgement is made. However, I will have no secrets amongst this unit. Have him brought up here.”

It takes a matter of minutes for the Templar to be returned to the Strategium. His robe is stained with blood, sweat and dirt, and he is bound by heavy chains, but his head is held high.

Skaayn grimaces at the chains.

“Whatever else might come, I no longer believe those to be necessary. Remove them.”

He waves the mortal serfs forward, and with some trepidation they approach and obey his order. He nods.

“Now, Gerhardt, you may speak your piece.”