Daemon Prince conversion

Hey all, been a long time - most of my hobby efforts recently have been shared on Instagram, but I'm currently working on something you guys might like... 

I've always been fond of the old 3rd edition metal Daemon Prince, but it shows it's age a bit nowadays. So my aim is to use the new plastic kit and a lot of cutting, trimming, shaving and sculpting to recreate the original in a more modern style. 

Started off with the head, seemed a sensible starting point. Spliced the face from the Khorne head onto the undivided head, then tidied up with a little putty; 

20240418_232840.thumb.jpg.0044692600aa239707664286d062b4b9.jpg

20240419_232634.thumb.jpg.a36a5e6f8185b0e02446d60838e37eae.jpg

Still need to reshape the nose, the 3rd edition model had more of a skull like slit so I think I'll aim for something like that.

I've also made a start on the torso, the original had a big exposed spine on the back so I got busy sculpting; 

20240423_000803.thumb.jpg.8ef79dd6313b9bbbe5a63cea38ba2483.jpg

Next I'll attach the back pack vents straight into the back and blend it in with some more putty. 

And that's where I'm at currently!

My biggest issue with the new model is the very AoS styled legs, so of course I'll be resculpting them as full daemonic power armour. Luckily the torso front and arms should work fine with minimal changes. 

Let me know what you think, and I'll keep posting updates on this thing as I work on it!

i always loved the old 3rd ed daemon prince, and iam also very fond of the new one, althogu a lot of the options in the box are kinda duds. so this is a very cool project, combining the best of both! :D

Your sculpting is really good by the way, very very finely detailed and absolutely pristine, the spine is just *chefs kiss*
i do kidna feel like the upper back as a whole looks slgihtly too fleshy though, like, not armored enough? but i the vents will fix that. and if not, jsut adding a little ridge right below where his shoulder-blades woudlbe would kinda fix that that to imply the back of the breastplate

OOOOh I'm so following this one!

Great job on the face so far. As I remember, the nose was something like Ralph Fiennes Voldemor's nose slits. Maybe just cur a little of the nostril bulges ?

The greenstuff work on the back and spine looks incredible.

Thanks everyone.

@carnosaur93yeah the back so far does look very fleshy, but it's closely based off the old model which had a sort of rib texture going into the exposed spine! The GW official paintjob just had it all black to match the armour so I don't think anyone ever gave it much thought :laugh:

@YannTheMad you're right, I think Voldemort nose is is the way to go! 

Just a quick update, doesn't feel like much progress but it took a lot of faffing around just to rough the legs in. Going for a walking pose, but I'm still not sure it's quite right... 

20240427_235209.thumb.jpg.fd4eff7b32fa61e24b13789218f04782.jpg

Of course he'll get feet, and plenty of trim and detailing on the armour but this gives an idea of where I'm heading! 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in updating here, I have been chipping away at this guy between various other things! 

@YannTheMadthanks mate, I've slightly tweaked the position of the legs now! 

@Pearson73cheers mate, yeah definitely going whole hog - is there any other way?! 

Most of the recent work has been to the back of the legs, which I think are shaping up nicely! 

Aiming for MK3 vibes, just because it's my favourite armour mark and makes sense for an ancient warrior. Thigh plate is thick and ridged to show the warp corruption, whereas I kept the lower leg clean.

20240502_225927.thumb.jpg.2a3d61ce83ea14cfcffdf354894d6028.jpg

Then I did the second thigh sort of half way between the two, showing how the plate changes.

20240505_101301.thumb.jpg.23cba9952815c688b88b6a2d0bc9fd53.jpg

And here's where we are presently, there's a bit of a gap in the photos unfortunately! 

Added the butt plate and belt, then plenty of rivets everywhere... That took some time! 

IMG-20240519-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.dc8cb648c9d51f0bf241edd9881c7b02.jpeg

Might still add some spikey ridges to the lower legs to help it tie in with the thighs a bit more... Any thoughts?

Thanks you everyone! 

I've roughed in the feet now and added a belt buckle. 

Also pinned on the back vents, and tacked the shoulder pads in place just to show the overall proportions. 

20240524_225921.thumb.jpg.37e73023844b2431481fa0b32da440e1.jpg

Still loads to do, but it's starting to come together!