Craftworld rules speculation

Karhedron

With no sign of our new Codex on the horizon yet, I thought it might be fun to speculate what our faction rules might be. This is my starter for 10, I have tried to base them on existing rules to some extent to keep the reasonable and avoid anything brokenly power. What do you think, how would you feel about these? I have only done 5 for the main named Craftworlds so we could easily add another couple in for Corsairs, Ynnari or whatever.

I haven't gone as far as stratagems or enhancements but feel free to speculate on these if you would like. I am, guessing that Lightning Fast Reactions will be the default strat available to all Craftworlds but I could be wrong.

Ulthwé: Unparalled Foresight

As per Index

Iyanden: Stoic Endurance

Each time an attack is allocated to a model in this unit, subtract 1 from the Wound roll if the Strength of the Attack is higher than the model's Toughness

Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

Each time an attack targets a unit from your army, unless the attacking model is within 12", subtract 1 from the Hit role and the target has the Benefit of Cover against that attack.

Saim Hann: Wild Riders

Units in the army can Charge in the turn in which they Advanced or Fell Back.

Biel Tan: Swordwind

Ranged Weapons gain +1S within 12". Melee weapons gain +1S if the unit made a Charge move that turn.

Edited by Karhedron

As much as I´d like to see it, I however do not see room for a Saim-Hann detachment. I guess it might be included in the Strand of date. Same for Swordwin.

I instead see a Ynnari and a Vaul´s Engine. The former as per the current rules probably, yet with some serious tone down of Fate dice.

Vauls, with some kind of bonuses for warmachine shooting and/or regen capacity

44 minutes ago, Bouargh said:

As much as I´d like to see it, I however do not see room for a Saim-Hann detachment. I guess it might be included in the Strand of date. Same for Swordwin.

What do you mean by 'not see room'?

Presumably there will be Detachments that are clearly 'for' each of the classic Craftworlds + Ynarri +/- hopefully Corsairs, but just like the Marines dex they won't be specifically named to the Craftworld/Chapter, just presented using their art?

6 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Iyanden: Stoic Endurance

Each time an attack is allocated to a model in this unit, subtract 1 from the Wound roll if the Strength of the Attack is higher than the model's Toughness

Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

Each time an attack targets a unit from your army, unless the attacking model is within 12", subtract 1 from the Hit role and the target has the Benefit of Cover against that attack.

These two seem a little off. I would generally don't think Iyanden would make even the regular infantry tougher. Looking at Orks, it seems like the designers are focusing some benefits on the different keywords, so I fully expect Ghost Warriors detachment or whatever to buff only Wraith units. Possibly: make wraithguard Battleline.

Fieldcraft unfortunately overlaps too much with Rangers because it makes their Stealth redundant. Could be one of those additive things where all infantry get Stealth, and then if they already have Stealth they aren't visible outside 18", or always have cover in addition. Again - this may also be where Rangers can become battleline. Only other idea would be for Deepstriking or  uppydowny Rangers... But that might just be a strat and/or enhancement for them.

Others seem cool and good! I like how Swordwind would turn fire dragons and warp spiders up to 11, and would make scorps and banshees actually pretty frightening instead of mostly annoying.

6 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Ulthwé: Strands of Fate

As per Index

Strands is the Army Rule... So I think that's likely to stay in the picture for all the detachments and instead this is 'Unparalleled Foresight'?

It would be kind of interesting to have Fate Dice as just one detachment thing, but I think it'd be impossible to balance that against other detachment level benefits. Foresight is soooooo powerful on its own that I think if anything it might just get dialled back to 1 hit OR wound instead of both.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

You are right, I am muddling up Strands of Fate and Unparalled Foresight, I will amend the OP.

I do the like the Swordwind idea, I feel it would encourage a very aggressive "in your face" style of play.

1 hour ago, Bouargh said:

I instead see a Ynnari and a Vaul´s Engine. The former as per the current rules probably, yet with some serious tone down of Fate dice.

Vauls, with some kind of bonuses for warmachine shooting and/or regen capacity

That seems very meagre. All the other codices so far have included detachments for all the common named sub-factions. I would find it very odd if Wild Riders or Swordwind were not included since bikes and Aspect Warriors make up a decent chunks of the Aeldari army (especially aspect warriors).

Oh!

Just thought of something - not likely to happen necessarily, but seems like they could combine roll up Corsairs and Rangers together for 'Outcasts' detachment. I take Corsairs in about half my games as either falcon riders or Reserved late game backfield push piece, but it'd be sweet to get them a bit more tech. It's mighty annoying that they 'kind of' play with the other lists, but not really... Not quite sure why they can't have the wound re-roll and Fate dice tbh. I understand that it's 'narrative', but if/when I want to take like the full 6 units then it'd be nice if I could at least build into that.

Of course now I just want even just 1 unit of exodites to add to that kind of list ; )

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:06 PM, Dr. Clock said:

What do you mean by 'not see room'?

I mean that getting a series of detachments covering all craftworlds archetypes plus the Ynnari and the Harlequins would lead to something like 7 detachments:

- Alaitoc

- Saim-hann

- Biel-Tan / broken Biel-Tan

- Iyanden

- Ulthwee

- Harlies

- Ynnari

It is a lot. In a first approach I would say that there is no room in a codex for so much, and as such some merging of factions can be considered maybe. I made a guess that 5 detachment is the msot we might hope for.

So, in my idea, as it looks like the current detachment l works fine with most of the army built,  made an initial bet that Swordwind and Wildriders do not nceesary need a specific detachment. It is arbitrary one may say, as Black Guardian could work into the standard detachment quite well too...

Once thinking it twice, it is true that a a 100% Aspect warrior list would lack Battleline units, and so it might be a good candidate for getting a detachment of its own, just for that.

On 4/29/2024 at 4:45 PM, Dr. Clock said:

Just thought of something - not likely to happen necessarily, but seems like they could combine roll up Corsairs and Rangers together for 'Outcasts' detachment.

Could be an elegant way to avoid detachment inflation indeed.

Another comparable approach to avoid inflation would be keeping the Ynnari out of the codex (I doubt it will come) or keeping it like they are atm: a transversal add-on applicable to all and any detachment rooster type.

Which would lead ultimatly to 5 detachments and the optional built-up with Ynnari for each one:

- Standard (Ulthwee, Saim-Hann, Vanilla)

- Outcasts (Alaitoc, Corsairs)

- Swordwind 

- Iyanden (that could be worth Vault engines / all wraitbone constructs too)

- Harlies

For the standard rooster, customization could come through a limited amount of characters giving a small boost through an aura for example... (windrider autarch, Eldrad, a new special charcter or a recreation of an old one (Nuadu)...)

And I deliberaty omited the Maidenworlds exodites... Fantasied on numerous wishlists since eras...

I mean that getting a series of detachments covering all craftworlds archetypes plus the Ynnari and the Harlequins would lead to something like 7 detachments:  

Space Marines have 7 Detachments, Necrons 5, Nids 6, AdMech 5, not sure about the newer codices. The point is that 7 Detachments is not unreasonable, especially for a faction that has been around as long as Eldar.

On 5/2/2024 at 10:21 AM, Bouargh said:

5 detachment is the msot we might hope for.

Ah - yeah, from your list I'd more likely say that Harlies and Ynnarii don't need/shouldn't have their own detachments... But Orks did just get 6.

For Harlies and mixing in Drukhari I think it's fine if those continue to be things 'outside' of the other detachment rules since I'd expect to lose some of the fiddly bits if I'm allying stuff in. I don't hate the idea of one detachment that replaces BOTH strands of fate and power from pain so that the whole army can benefit... I just don't quite know what to propose instead.

For harlies I honestly don't have a problem with them getting whatever detachment bonuses. I would expect they'd be able to 'change character' to fit whatever kind of theme the rest of the Asuryani were up to. I'd definitely like them to consider putting them properly in the Drukhari book as well, but that's a bit of a different topic lol.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

I really want my harlis to have there own book back. In addition adding a great harli, harli wraithlord, mimes and possibly a heavy unit consisting of deathjesters. So much that can be done on their own. A troop unit with shuriken catapults an elite unit of flyers like trapeze artists. Anyhow that's just my wish.

Ynarri really need some work as well as Yvraine being returned to the DE as lady Malyce. Also return our DE characters that got removed.

Sorry this became more of a rant then hopeful.

17 hours ago, Dread said:

a great harli, harli wraithlord, mimes and possibly a heavy unit consisting of deathjesters.

Excelleny, yes though honestly with a few conversions and a consistent paint scheme I think you could make these things out of existing Asuryani units:

Great Harlequin = Autarch

Wraithlord = Wraithlord

Mimes = Rangers

Death Jesters = Dark Reapers

I think you're also safe just painting any eldar vehicle in harlies colours if you want a united thematic force. Harlies in dedicated falcons and wave serpents is dang cool. The main thing I can see constraining this kind of list is just the lack of battleline on Troupes. 

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Dr. Clock said:

Mimes = Rangers

Just a side question - I dived into my old copy of the 40k Compendium where the list was published (or rather republished as I imagine it used to be initially issued in WD or so...). If mimes are clearly set into the command structrue of Harlies warbands, I did not see any kind of associated rules. Did Mines and Master Mine happened to get some at anypoint?

Edited by Bouargh

3rd edition. I had 2 units of mimes. Harli wraithlords had flip belts and could carry a d-cannon. My great harlequin was a conversion for there was no model. I had a very bright and vibrant army way back when.

On 5/6/2024 at 6:35 AM, Bouargh said:

Did Mines and Master Mine happened to get some at anypoint?

According to Lexicanum: White dwarf 105 and experimental rules Citadel Journal 44 (where they are basically just Troupes with infiltrate, and scout if that's not allowed). 

Understanding that harlies are some people's chosen army, to me they still seem coolest and most special when they are rare to the point of just being a 'part of a larger faction' even if it is technically possible to field a whole army of them. I have like 2 deathwatch kill teams and am hesitant on getting the third one for the same reason - they don't seem like they'd show up in numbers much larger than that. I think the same of Grey Knights and Custodes of course - guess my mental model of 40k army building is still very much 2nd Ed Compendium lol.

large.ExoPrince.jpg.a78b131a3be065689284

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

On 5/7/2024 at 4:38 PM, Dr. Clock said:

According to Lexicanum: White dwarf 105 and experimental rules Citadel Journal 44 (where they are basically just Troupes with infiltrate, and scout if that's not allowed). 

Thanx. I forget that of the Citadel Journal...

On 5/7/2024 at 4:38 PM, Dr. Clock said:

large.ExoPrince.jpg.a78b131a3be065689284

I would say that the real question is not if Exodites will be released one day or not. But do their mount taste like chicken?

Back on tracks - with 8 Detachments announced in the CSM Codex, well, I guess we can dream of 7 (or like) Detachments in an Aeldari Codex too. Meaning tat my reasonably pesimistic bet of 5 might be worth being forgotten... And in that case, 1 Detachment per key Craftworld + 1 HArly- everything asociated to a transversal rule for Ynnari... I change my mind so easily.

AS wishlist, I would like a come back of some named characters (Nuadhu maybe) plus a new Phoenix Lord. Some custom options for the Avatar might be something to consider too, depending on the tooling of the latter?  Would the bone singer make a reappearance?

AS wishlist, I would like a come back of some named characters (Nuadhu maybe) plus a new Phoenix Lord. Some custom options for the Avatar might be something to consider too, depending on the tooling of the latter?  Would the bone singer make a reappearance?

All good questions. Functionally a Bonesinger would be easy as it could basically function as a Techmarine, repairing D3 wounds to any nearby vehicle. Looking at the recent Ork vintage models, I would be willing to bet the old Bonesinger model gets rerun when the codex drops.

I have heard a rumour that we might be getting the Warp Spider Phoenix Lord which would definitely be cool if it is true. I might have heard that from Valrak but I can't recall for sure.

The Avatar does have 3 different weapon options but they are purely cosmetic. Given that GW seems to be moving towards fixed loadouts, I am not expecting to see any options there alas.

On 4/28/2024 at 3:06 PM, Dr. Clock said:

so I fully expect Ghost Warriors detachment or whatever to buff only Wraith units. Possibly: make wraithguard Battleline.

On 4/29/2024 at 10:45 AM, Dr. Clock said:

Just thought of something - not likely to happen necessarily, but seems like they could combine roll up Corsairs and Rangers together for 'Outcasts' detachment.

!00% agree. Corsairs, Rangers, Vipers, and Shroud Runners easily make enough units to build armies around. I even think it would work something more like the Kroot detachment to make up for Corsairs not getting Strands of Fate.

On 5/2/2024 at 10:21 AM, Bouargh said:

Once thinking it twice, it is true that a a 100% Aspect warrior list would lack Battleline units, and so it might be a good candidate for getting a detachment of its own, just for that.

*SNIP*

Another comparable approach to avoid inflation would be keeping the Ynnari out of the codex (I doubt it will come) or keeping it like they are atm: a transversal add-on applicable to all and any detachment rooster type.

Which would lead ultimatly to 5 detachments and the optional built-up with Ynnari for each one:

- Standard (Ulthwee, Saim-Hann, Vanilla)

- Outcasts (Alaitoc, Corsairs)

- Swordwind 

- Iyanden (that could be worth Vault engines / all wraitbone constructs too)

- Harlies

1. Battle Host: the all rounder army for when the entire Craftworld mobilizes.
  2. Wild Riders: bikes and vehicles, because they're all grav with high movement value. I think this would effectively be the Anvil of Vaul if you focus on tanks instead.
  3. Swordwind: Aspect Warriors, no need for them to be battleline because there's enough type of them that with the rule of three, you can make a variety of different armies (especially if backed up by Wave Serpents and the Avatar).
  4. Outcasts: as talked about above.
  5. Spirit Host: wraith constructs for days.
  6. Harlequins: here I could see Troupes getting battleline because they have so few units.
  7. Ynnari? I just don't know if Ynnari are in design purgatory or not. 
  8. Psychic council?

On 5/8/2024 at 6:51 PM, Karhedron said:

I have heard a rumour that we might be getting the Warp Spider Phoenix Lord which would definitely be cool if it is true. I might have heard that from Valrak but I can't recall for sure.

Yeah this Rumour is out for a while. Didn´t we even have a small teaser in one of the latest campaign books about an empty armour discovered on a lonesome planet?

WarpSpider Phoenix Lord would be great. Yet I wouldn´t be surprised if we do not have it in the end, but receive something like Shadow Specters passing to plastic with their own Lord instead... 

Posted (edited)

From what I remember, there is no warp spider Phoenix lord. The shrine was developed after the fall. Same for crimson hunters. 

I would really like to see Eldar brought back to the glory they used to be. Like reapers being linked, as long as 1 can get los then all could fire without penalty. Banshees being able charge after disembarking, scorpions having haywire grenades. I dunno, reminiscing,  ahh.

Edited by Dread

To be fair a lot of those abilities still exist in slightly different ways. Banshees can now Advance and Charge which means that they can disembark from a Transport before it moves and still have a threat range of 11+3D6". That is 21-22" on an average roll, not too shabby.

Scorpions should have the Grenade keyword IMHO as they traditionally always carried Plasma and Haywire. Still, they can infiltrate and mulch even tough infantry thanks to their Mandiblasters.

Dark Reapers are an odd one. Their firepower has been drastically nerfed in 10th edition and their Reaper Launchers are now more like heavy rifles than proper missile launchers. Still, by way of compensation they are at least cheap now so you can sit them on a home Objective and shoot decently (if not amazingly).

15 hours ago, Dread said:

rom what I remember, there is no warp spider Phoenix lord. The shrine was developed after the fall. Same for crimson hunters. 

All the shrines were developed after the Fall if I remember correctly from Asurman book. There's also been some retcon'ing on exactly what the Phoenix Lords are and how they are made. I think they did it around the same time that time that Karandhras got a bit more lore so he could be the Phoenix Lord without being the first Striking Scorpion.

On 5/2/2024 at 4:57 PM, Karhedron said:

Space Marines have 7 Detachments, Necrons 5, Nids 6, AdMech 5, not sure about the newer codices. The point is that 7 Detachments is not unreasonable, especially for a faction that has been around as long as Eldar.

I believe CSM get 8 detachments now, one for each traitor, so it wouldn't be unexpected to see 7 or so for Eldar.