Brother Raul's WIP 2nd Company Primaris

Have a escalation tournament I am getting ready for. I am enjoying vehicles a lot more since the spray can but made a few mistakes with the assembly as it comes with both the Rhino front armour and a Baal one.

Just looks like reinforced armour and at least I put the tank tracks on the right way.

IMG20240621223655.jpg

Posted (edited)

Nearly assembled. Such a awesome kit to put together, actually heaps of fun and I think vehicles are their own reward. I honestly never thought they could move so much in so many places and thank god I don't have to do a base on this one.

So many bits I can convert a couple of assault cannon death watch terminators and there's actual a really cool. Also that great terminator/ techpriest head and paldrons.

My 2nd vehicle and I actually can't wait to do another even though I have squads piling up. Learning to spray paint with a can is good for motivation.

IMG20240625172912.jpg

IMG20240625173339.jpg

Edited by Brother Raul
Autocorrected edit

Whoever designed the next terminators over engineered the sprue.

Takes a lot longer to put models together as a result. Why I have to stick shin guards on models now is beyond me and the 3 part torsos are painful.

Getting the feet to become even takes a bit of work where as the olden days kits  you glued the torso over that bubble above the waist.

They look great when finished if a lille plain in detail for some areas. Still deciding if I'll magnetised at the shoulder as that's a lot more work in some ways but less in others.

IMG20240625223826.jpg

2 hours ago, Brother Raul said:

Takes a lot longer to put models together as a result. Why I have to stick shin guards on models now is beyond me and the 3 part torsos are painful.

Getting the feet to become even takes a bit of work where as the olden days kits  you glued the torso over that bubble above the waist.

They look great when finished if a lille plain in detail for some areas. Still deciding if I'll magnetised at the shoulder as that's a lot more work in some ways but less in others.

IMG20240625223826.jpg

I understand it might be a lil more fiddly, but all the bits you mentioned as being annoying are exactly the bits they are replacing with the different chapter iconography.

It'll pay dividends later down the line when upgrade sprues and bespoke chapter versions come out.

12 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

I understand it might be a lil more fiddly, but all the bits you mentioned as being annoying are exactly the bits they are replacing with the different chapter iconography.

It'll pay dividends later down the line when upgrade sprues and bespoke chapter versions come out.

I hope you are correct but let's be honest GW keep adding to their to do list without actually ticking the old stuff off. 

It's will be 11th edition before we know it and they are still dealing with issues around 9th e.g supply chains ECT.

Dice are a good example. Can I buy Blood angels dice in Australia? No I absolutely cannot, not even legion 30k dice. Dice are something GW should have gotten around to 30 years ago and cornered the market.

However I absolutely hope you are right even though I've bought upgrade sprues for terminator paldrons that don't even fit without cutting plastic.

I might not get that Librarian done if I keep playing with him. He's currently on assignment overseeing the delivery of our first consignment of tactical dreadnaught armour.

Magnetism isn't as hard as I thought. Just have to be prepared to do all the limbs with the current kit but that's another lifelong thing I've wanted to try in the hobby learnt.

IMG20240626212852.jpg

IMG20240626212904.jpg

Will never not zenith highlight again. Have never been able to achieve this level of shading with washes so once I wash smaller sections back the colour progress through Mephiston red will be amazing.

Learning that most painting is glazing and that works for that red coat over the back basecoat with scaled zenith highlights.

I used a spectrum from chaos black to celestial grey.

IMG20240703171728.jpg

Cool project. I like how you approached painting red; it works really well. The marines have a somewhat worn, battered look.

On 6/25/2024 at 2:48 PM, Brother Raul said:

Oh, this is my experience with all recent kits. How GW approaches the layout of bits on sprues is problematic on so many levels. Sure, the assembled models are usually great but at what cost? If you're not into assembling miniatures that much or, conversely, you're into converting models, you're in a bit of a pickle.

Also, seeing a Predator instead of a Gladiator is nice breath of old, nostalgic air ;)

Repositioned the smoke launchers. Sprayed the new necromunda bases and decided to use the 25mm ones as markers. Slow going with the new red glazing technique and I may have bought more marines (hellblasters and intercessors to do this new glaze style).

IMG20240630165927.jpg

IMG20240707192032.jpg

IMG20240707192135.jpg

Played my first game in 25 years, escalation tournament 500 points.

Drew Admech first up. There's only 1 narrative there but it's long overdue. Took the 3 unit list to make sure I didn't get points/ unit locked for the next round. Turns out its infantry, bet on monsters/ vehicles.

Very good player, good bloke too. Was great to get a better feel for some rules, especially Rapid Ingress, which is very new to me and SOS detachment.

His HQ had the 12" denial bubble on the small combat patrol sized board caught me out. He got within 8" of my teleport homing beacon second turn and denied my rapid ingress. Learning outcome achieved.

At this point my 3 squads were hemmed into my deployment zone around my Objective marker and we just traded blows until time ran out turn 4 and I lost big time on primary.

No psychic phase was weird and I forgot oat of moment 3/5 turns. Made people laugh and killed some skittari, lost 20-5 as we didn't use mission cards as neither of us had a deck.

Ballistus Dreadnaughts shoot stuff really well. Hit a lot but that Admech 4+ is very solid. It's charge in Sons of Sanguinius is actually great. Caught a Dragoon out with a 8" charge and did surprising damage.

Intercessors are great. Sticky is such a big deal and gives you opportunity to then go off and actually get that sergeant into combat.

Power swords wounding T7 on a 4+ is ace for SOS and the powerfists v skittari is good, clean fun but a lot of overkill.

Terminators are seriously tough. There's been a lot of remove cover in the game since 8th and that 2+/4+ is hard to bust with low volume low AP fire.

IMG20240712193107.jpg

Trying to figure out how I am doing basing for my jump pack troops.

Trimming down citadel flying stems to avoid that casting bubble.

Looks better but much less stable as not pegged into the base but glued on-top of it.

If anyone see this let me know your thoughts about potential problems to avoid please.

Don't want to spend tournaments re-glueing these back down but will see how strong the bond is when cured.

IMG20240713192536.jpg

Forgot to mention something from the battle with the Admech.

Didn't have enough plasma pistols when I first made the intercessor squad but ran out of time before the tournament to retro fit.

Was considering being lazy and leaving it, thought how often would I use it? and how often would I over charge?

Turns out a lot. There was a dragoon in range first turn on the small table and I don't have to charge what I shoot.

I've had to really work on customisation to try and make what I've painted so far 'feel' blood angels (Baal excluded).

Hasn't felt like I am painting a BA army (largely waiting for the codex) up until now.

Finally, our signature unit. I really like the kit would you believe I ordered some spare parts plasma pistols because I just assumed they only put 1 in the box. There's 2.

Cool kit and nice to be able to assemble 100% and then paint unlike rifle troops.

Converted them to small citadel flying stems very easily and will do DC and Sanguinary guard the same.

IMG20240715195021.jpg

That's a lot of rear upside down detail however.

IMG20240715200925.jpg

I have decided the new plasma pistols are very badly designed. Twice the size of previous pistols but less coil to paint.

Really enjoying this kit. It's nice and open so can paint basically everything assembled.

Great kit for us to paint to, so iconic 

IMG20240720014916.jpg