=] Call to Arms 2024 Rally Point: Chaos Demons [=

Posted (edited)

large.ChaosDaemons.png.3c6cbdf900eaa6e83

What is The Call to Arms, I hear you ask?

The Call to Arms is a new multi-forum event designed to encourage us all to start a new army, or bolster our current armies.

The Forums of the B&C are divided up into four Strongholds; Imperium, Chaos, Xenos, and Heresy.  For the next three months the 4 Forums of the Chaos Stronghold will be competing to claim Victory over the other Chaos Forums, with all four Strongholds being compared at the conclusion of the Event.

There are two categories for Victory in both the Forums and Strongholds, the Forum/Stronghold who has painted the most points worth of models, and the Forum/Stronghold with the highest % of completion (Participants vs Completions).

Full Rules and Place your Vow =>  The Chaos Stronghold

Start Date: 15th June 

End Date: 17th September

How do I join in?

Models for The Call to Arms have been allocated a point value based around their size, the time they take to paint, and the amount of effort generally taken to paint them, this is why some models of different sizes appear in the same categories, and why Characters are worth more.

The below list should cover every model for the Daemons;

1pt    Bloodletters, Flesh Hounds, Plaguebearers, Daemonettes, Horrors, Flamers, Screamers

2pts   Nurgling Base, Blood Crushers, Plague Drones, Seekers, Fiends, Spawn

4pts   War Dog Knights

5pts   Skull Cannon, Seeker Chariot, Burning Chariot

6pts   Soul Grinder

10pts Questoris, Tyrant, and Cerastus Knights

5pts    Leader and Unit Composition: 1 OR Epic Hero, Heralds, Daemon Princes, 

10pts Bloodthirsters, GUO, Keeper of Secrets, Lord of Change 

20pts Arcastus Knights, Warhound Titan

30pts Reaver Titan

40pts Warbringer Titan

50pts Warlord Titan

Terrain

1pt    3 Munitorum Barrels, 4 Munitorum Crates, Zone Morialtis/Gallowdark Column, Octarius Ramshackle Bridges

2pts   Aegis Defence Line Section, Aegis Defence Platform, Galvanic Servo-haulers, Thermic Plasma Conduit Section, Imperialis Ruins Wall Section, Zone Morialtis/Gallowdark Wall, Octarius Scrap Heap/Barricade

3pts   Fronteris Vox Antenna, Fronteris Auspex Shrine, Thermo-exchanger Shrine, Octarius Oil Rig, Necromunda Fuel Tanks

4pts   Munitorum Container, Mechsnicus Transterrsnic Gantry, Galvanic Servo-crane, Big'ead Bossbunka, Skull Alter, Noctilith Crown, Octarius Ramshackle Walls

5pts   Tidewall Droneport, Tidewall Shieldline, Feculant Gnarlmaw, Miasmic Malignifier

6pts   Fronteris Landing Pad, Mechanicus Forgeshine, Mechanicus Galvanic Magnavent

8pts   Fronteris Hab Bunker, Manufactorum Administratus,

10pts Zone Morialtis Gang Stronghold

Note: Custom/Scratchbuilt terrain- use this list as a guide as to how many points tour terrain is worth, but please make sure to mention your terrain is custom when Vowing.

All points are per model. For example if you pledge 20 Bloodletters (1ptx20), 3 Blood Crushers(2ptsx3), a Skull Cannon (5pts), and a Bloodthirster (10pts), your vow would be worth 41pts

If you have any questions or queries, or there's a model you want to paint but isn't listed, just @Grotsmasha and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Please feel free use this thread as a place to share your thoughts, ideas, and WIPs throughout the Event to motivate and inspire the Sororitas, and the Imperium to Victory!!!

Full Rules and Place your Vow =>  The Chaos Stronghold

Edited by Grotsmasha

• 1 month later...

Greetings fellow heretics

Here is my contribution for the Call to Arms 2024 event. 

I plan to paint the following:

1x Great Unclean One - 10 points

10x Plaguebearers - 10 points

3x Plague Drones - 6 points

3x Nurglings - 6 points

Total: 32 points

I have yet to assemble the Plague Drones since I have received them today, the other models are assembled and basecoated with Corax White. 

For the glory of Nurgle!

Nabarvništvo (Colorscription) - Call to Arms 2024 - Chaos Daemons.jpg

Ok, so I rebased my horrors + the Herald and gave them a zenithal prime of black-off white-pure white.

My idea is to do them somewhat monochromatic/Blanchitsuish, with some spot colours of bright pink/purple/blue depending on the models. My hope is that this will be manageable as well as create a more eerie effect than "simply" painting them in bright colours - but hopefully this will also allow me to actually employ brighter colours than I usually do, as I think a bunch of Tzeentch Daemons in earthy, desaturated tones and zorn-palette colours might look slightly too "natural" at the end of the day.
Oh well, we shall see what we shall see :smile:

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

On 6/24/2024 at 6:46 PM, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Looking good - looking forward to seeing how you end up painting them.  And yes, I think desatured tones probably aren't the best fit for demons.

I think it's a difficult needle to thread, because vivid, bright colours can easily end up looking garish and "cartoony" which I feel goes against the idea of chaos daemons, but on the other hand desaturated, earthy tones can make them look too "natural", so I was/am trying to see if there's a point where the two intersect in a good way. 

Unfortunately, I wasn't really able to find that point for my pink horrors, so now I think I'll be going with Shyish Purple for them, making them almost black but with a purple undertone and then some bright spots for the eyes/fire/feathers. Honestly, part of the problem was that I didn't really have all that clear a vision, as much as I had "things that sound cool" but which I wasn't really able to pull off - mostly because of my own unclear vision and lack of experience with oils, but also partly because most of the pink horrors aren't great sculpts and can easily end up looking goofy.

The blue ones, I feel, are much easier to get a good look on. I think I'm going to end up using my initial idea for them, basically just painting them with a thinned down coat of payne's grey over the zenithal and then picking out flames and eyes in bright, "unnatural" colours.

Personally, I think demons are one army where garish can work really well - particularly for those models that are low detail, as are most of the demon troop choices.  That said, opinions obviously can vary.

I don't know if this is useful for you (for one, mine are Slannesh and yours are Tzeench), but here's a link to my demons where I think I pulled of garish fairly well.  That said, part of my (what I feel is) success may come from paring the very garish pinks and purples with much more neutral skin tones - maybe a similar approach might work with you (though, not necessary with the same neutral and garish elements).

Your purple "pink" horrors sound very interesting - I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Here are some wip pics :)

I think the blue horror on the right will work well and more or less hit the balance I'm looking for, when the fire and eyes have been painted in vivid colours. The one on the left I experimented a bit with, using oils - I must say I think it'd be a pretty easy way to get a bunch of good looking "traditional" horrors on the table quickly.

IMG_0303.thumb.JPG.bee2babdf9236e2e50c732d03620d25c.JPG

The pink horrors were more a pain. The two in the middle are just straight shyish purple, the two on the edges have had oils and stuff on them before I painted them over. I'm not super happy with this look, but I was quite unhappy with the initial look I got, so I guess this is as close as we're going to get. Plus, I still hope that the bright flames will add a lot to the overall effect.

IMG_0304.thumb.JPG.13549a723adcade6eaeb33032f1123ab.JPG

Interesting - your pallet is far more neutral than what I would choose for demons.  Personally, I think they could use a high contrast element, such as the fire - for example, I think for the bluer (the left one) of the blue horrors that the flame is too close tonally to the horror, and would go for something more vibrant like the flames on the candelabra for these models.

Yeah, my palette is pretty neutral most of the time (I sort of default to either a Blanchitsu-light style or a “heavily washed but with a lot of definition” style, if I don’t actively choose to do things differently). This is an experiment and I am not really sure what the results will be, but I do want the contrast to come from the flames etc. - I do agree with you on the flames on the blue horror and I don’t think I’ll be doing the flames like that on the rest. I was just trying to get an idea of how they’d look if I did them with a single oil colour, so while it would have been great if it worked out awesomely, I didn’t really expect it to.

I still think I’ll go for pink fire for the blue horrors and maybe blue fire for the pink horrors, but I am less sure about the pink ones, because I don’t really “feel” them right now, to be honest. I am sort of considering going back to a more traditional way of painting them, but that’s going to have huge implications for how to do the rest of the army, so…

Posted (edited)

I do like the pinker pink horrors, though personally I would go brighter to the colour of the herald, and then bring the herald brighter.  That said, that's just my own personal preference.  As well, I think the dark purple could have worked nicely if done with a high gloss finish and gold jewlery/accessories.

I think pink flames would work with the blue horrors (in fact, they could look really nice), they just need to be a different tone - for example, if you could the same effect as in the green example I gave you but in pink, that would look really good - so, something like the hair in the first picture of this post or of this model.

BTW, you might want to create your own thread in the demon forum for your army - will make it easier for you and others to find your work in the future.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Nope, its fine to post here, or the Stronghold in the WIP forum (indeed, I would recommend posting weekly and/or completion photos there as you work through your models).  I just thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to your own stuff.

10 hours ago, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Nope, its fine to post here, or the Stronghold in the WIP forum (indeed, I would recommend posting weekly and/or completion photos there as you work through your models).  I just thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to your own stuff.

Ah, ok.
I just noticed the Stronghold thread in the WIP forum, so I actually got a bit confused - thanks for clarifying.

I tend to post lots of WIPs and thoughts, because I find that it's a good way of keeping myself motivated (and it's really fun to hear other people's thoughts), but I don't want to drown out everybody else.
I think I already have a blog here actually, but I might start a thread in the Daemons forum as well.

By all means, continue to post here to keep motivated - I certainly didn't intend to discourage that!

BTW, from your pics in the Stronghold, I quite like the blue you used for your blue horrors.