Necron Unit of the Week Series: Triarch Stalker

NTaW

NECRON UNIT OF THE WEEK SERIES

Welcome to the Necron Unit of the Week series for 10th edition! Each week will see a different unit from the Codex, Imperial Armour, and Legends datasheets featured for discussion. The goal here is to discover and chronicle tactics for the featured unit so that new players and veterans alike can use this database to inform their strategies with the wider knowledge of the forum. The game of Warhammer 40,000 is ever changing though, and as the rules evolve throughout the edition everyone should feel free to return to older threads with the release of new FAQs/errata, changes in points values, information gathered from games played, and of course the Codex being released. These threads are also great places for newcomers to the Necrons to post their questions about tactics related to the featured units.

Please note that the purpose of this series is not to lament what the current meta deems “ineffective”, or that another unit “does it better”. Those units will get their own threads.

This week’s unit is:

Triarch Stalker

Are you using your Stalker as a support unit or playing it more aggressively?

Which of the three weapons do you equip?

Has the Targeting Relay ability been useful?

Which Detachment have you been using, has the Obeisance Phalanx been useful?

Series Index

I don't necessarily know if the Stalker is any good for its points right now, but I did have some fun with it by scouting into the middle of the board with Heat Ray and claiming the center objective, then just firing overwatch a lot.

I don't know if the Targeting Relay ever came into effect. I think the scouting is just a really useful ability right now so that's the primary reason I see to take one.

I ran one in a list just to try it out.  I played against Guard so I found the deny cover ability to be the only useful thing about its shooting (I ran the heavy gauss cannon which is too weak for vehicles, but would likely shine vs Marines).  In general the points are steep for such a generic unit and I'd rather have a more interesting synergy or leadership ability from a Triarch unit.  The heat ray is probably the best all round gun for the model.  The best ability it has is a scout move that lets you get on mid board objectives early.

I have three and I plan on fielding them in an Obesiance Phalanx army to see if the +1 to wound and some of the Triarch keyword strats might make them shine.  In general I find this to be one of the few Necron units whose glow up from last edition was very phoned in and lackluster.