The Mastodon, what is it good for?

I was recently gifted a complete 3D printed Mastodon. I went and looked at the rules and its all over the place. What the heck is it used for? It can transport a full Atramentar squad I guess, but they can deep strike. Since HH2 doesnt allow multi-squads in a transport there is a lot of wasted space outside a 20 man terminator squad. Does anyone use one outside a large bring everything you got narrative type game? 

Yeah I’m going to have to say the same thing. I haven’t used one, but I really want one in my army, it looks cool and that’s why I like it. But I suspect it might be a bit rubbish.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 8:20 PM, Galron said:

Since HH2 doesnt allow multi-squads in a transport

As above, things like the Mastadon, with Transport Capacity are an exception. It can also transport dreadnoughts, so you can put a talon of contemptors in it or something like that, as well as 10 tacs, to poop out the back onto an objective. Definitely go back and have a re-read of the special rules and abilities that it has! The Siege melta is also nothing to sniff at, though it has to get danger close. 

Edited by Xenith

I think a Mastodon is the typical "miniature" you buy because is cool, is big, it was cheaper than usual, to round out a collection, or put the cherry on top of your army, etc but in the end you don't know what to do with it,at least as a playable unit and not a big, exclusive and expensive paperweight. I also want to get one for my SoH, 3D printed as well, and still I'm thinking what to do with it when I get it.

It can carry lot of troops inside, like 42 marine size troops ,Dreads, terminators or whatever the combination allowed between those units. Is a land moving unit, good for assaulting a fortress or similar. But nothing more. In other kind of battles is very big target, very expensive and a very juicy target for other super heavies.

Edited by Agramar_The_Luna_Wolf