Warhammer retail stores removing carrier bags

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Joe said:

In reality, it's been a net positive in the UK (i.e. the transition from charging for bags, to offering no bags), and falls under the governments on-going drive to reduce single-use plastics. 

Ah. I'm in the US, never have been charged for a bag before. Seems weird.

I just think it's funny that a company that sells plastic for a living is cutting out the bag. That will show 'em!

Edit: Thanks for the clarification Firedrake. Less weird now haha.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

Posted (edited)

It's probably worth adding some context for those not based in Britain.

Some time ago, the government initiated a scheme where shops larger than a certain size could not provide plastic carriers bags free of charge - they had to make a charge for them*. The aim was to reduce the amount of single-use plastic being consumed, by encouraging people to re-use the bags, which appears to have been successful.

*Many shops donate the money to charity.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

11 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I just think it's funny that a company that sells plastic for a living is cutting out the bag. That will show 'em!

The difference is that most of the plastic is not “single-use.” You keep them for years on display in your house or whatever, and if you don’t want them anymore you tend to sell them on. Miniatures rarely go in the garbage.

Exception here is the empty sprues, but they can just go in with the regular plastic recycling.

What I do find weird is the lack of paper replacement.  I can't think of any shops that don't offer paper bags (or 'bags for life' but those are nearly as bad a single use bags) for customers who may have been caught out without a bag.  Whilst if I'm out shopping I will certainly have a bag with me now but I regularly pop into the Warhammer shop when I've got a spare 5 minutes in town.  No bag means no impulse purchases.  Good for me but an odd decision for a retail company.

I'm all for all shops getting rid of plastic bags.  Single use plastic is a big problem.  The charges did help but them not being made at all is even better.

Yup, some context was certainly required from those of the community outside of Britain. Good Job. :)

I typically bring a bag with me in the rare times I go into town. Perhaps I'm just too lazy to carry things in my hands, perhaps I just carry too much stuff with me.

4 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Exception here is the empty sprues, but they can just go in with the regular plastic recycling.

That depends on your local council, sadly (mine won't recycle them). In the past I've donated mine to local railway shops as they have uses for them, but GW have recently started a recycling scheme in some of their stores.

9 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

for 19.99 you can buy a Citadel reuseable shopping bag :)

Oh a Warhammer Bag for Life is almost a certainty at some point. Amazed they've not been pushing tote bags hard as well to be honest.

Overall though this is a good decision and one I welcome.

12 minutes ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

That depends on your local council, sadly (mine won't recycle them). In the past I've donated mine to local railway shops as they have uses for them, but GW have recently started a recycling scheme in some of their stores.

This is the same for my council as I've been told that they can't deal with that type of plastic 

Posted (edited)

GW following the footsteps of all the other progressive trends.

I like plastic bags, they're useful in my home life. We should dispose of our waste better and plastic bags aren't half the problem that our other waste items are. There's plastic in everything and if people knew how much environmental destruction their mobile phone caused they might stop supporting selectively banning things and actually support sustainable disposal.

Paper bags would be nice. I can't imagine a mum looking to buy items is going to be happy about being told "sorry love, no bags."

Edited by Captain Idaho

26 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

There's plastic in everything and if people knew how much environmental destruction their mobile phone caused they might stop supporting selectively banning things and actually support sustainable disposal.

Agreed. Pretty much everything we do as a society has a huge environmental impact and big changes are needed if we’re going to have a proper impact on the climate.

It’s one of those things though, like “if the government aren’t doing enough about the big stuff then why should I bother to recycle?” We all have to do something and every little helps.

Coming home  with a GW plastic bag was always too much of a give-away. Some of us have spouses who’d ask some tough questions. I’ve never accepted a GW bag. I might have bought stuff I didn’t need in a shop down the road just to get a bag as cover …

9 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

Coming home  with a GW plastic bag was always too much of a give-away. Some of us have spouses who’d ask some tough questions. I’ve never accepted a GW bag. I might have bought stuff I didn’t need in a shop down the road just to get a bag as cover …

images.jpeg.cbb3ac080db706c68fbc50a2e62f8528.jpeg

This fools everyone into thinking I bought some manliness-man stuff...

27 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

Coming home  with a GW plastic bag was always too much of a give-away … I’ve never accepted a GW bag. I might have bought stuff I didn’t need in a shop down the road just to get a bag as cover …

Not gonna lie this was how I used to be when I was a teenager - didn’t like to carry a Warhammer bag round town in case some buttwipe from school gave me aggro for being a geek. Spent far too long as a kid worrying what other people think.

Nowadays of course I don’t care and would happily wear a GW backpack and walk through the streets carrying a bolter.

5 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Nowadays of course I don’t care and would happily wear a GW backpack and walk through the streets carrying a bolter.

That might give you aggro from another type of people, aka the police, a large caliber automatic grenade launcher  is not what the law enforcement's in my area like civilians to carry around. Even if it is enviromental friendly.  ;)

Cpl. Danjou

7 minutes ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

That might give you aggro from another type of people, aka the police, a large caliber automatic grenade launcher  is not what the law enforcement's in my area like civilians to carry around. Even if it is enviromental friendly.  ;)

Cpl. Danjou

Yeah, I guess. And walking through the streets proclaiming “I am the Emperor’s hammer! Deny His will and you will meet your death” probably doesn’t help either…