New Jump Canoness, Codex and Army box

7 minutes ago, Xanthous said:

With regards to the Combat Patrol, there's definitely been a shift in philosophy since they've become armies-in-a-box for a unique game mode rather than simply a starter bundle. They're definitely moving away from "focal point" centrepieces like the Redemptor for Dark Angels and the Ghostkeel in T'au, presumably for balance reasons. It seems pointless to me to compare the old combat patrols to the new ones because they're essentially completely different in purpose.

Which is fine for me if it didn't also come with a decrease in their discount 

2 hours ago, Xanthous said:

While I'd agree with this for the basic pistol-melee loadout, the two handed halberd or eviscerator give her a pretty unique look.

With regards to the Combat Patrol, there's definitely been a shift in philosophy since they've become armies-in-a-box for a unique game mode rather than simply a starter bundle. They're definitely moving away from "focal point" centrepieces like the Redemptor for Dark Angels and the Ghostkeel in T'au, presumably for balance reasons. It seems pointless to me to compare the old combat patrols to the new ones because they're essentially completely different in purpose.

Another point about the old combat patrol was that aside from the Rhino, the sprues were from an earlier release (which is why the Units are mixed on the sprue) 

Incidentally, it's also the same sprue(s) that were part of the Imperium collection.

39 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Another point about the old combat patrol was that aside from the Rhino, the sprues were from an earlier release (which is why the Units are mixed on the sprue) 

Incidentally, it's also the same sprue(s) that were part of the Imperium collection.

It was the initial set of sprues from the Sisters launch box in 8th.

36 minutes ago, Sky Potato said:

It was the initial set of sprues from the Sisters launch box in 8th.

On that note, I wonder what will happen to those sprues now. They rereleased the Shadowspear Vanguard Marines separately when their Combat Patrol got replaced at the beginning of 10th, but who knows if they'll do the same now? I quite like the rod of office Canoness, so, weird unit sizes/fixed poses aside, it'd be nice to keep around.

Nice miniature as always or nearly but I don't like the "tradition" of include it in a box with sond old or even older models and wait months to have the chance of buy it separately. 

Yes, I know,it's a business and all the old chant...but still that business practice bothers me.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

That's a rough looking face/head on the one with the chainsword haha.

Yes, maybe a combination of that particular paint scheme and what could be one of the initial 3D-printed models they get to paint for box-art and such? At least the halberd version looks a bit rough and uneven in the face and the armour? (I do not know much about this, but think I read somewhere here on B&C, they first print the model for the studio to paint?.. :blush:)

Of course, a canoness should probably look a bit rough I suppose? :happy:

Or one could go for another head with a more smooth face I guess.. :laugh:

Edited by Blurgh

Posted (edited)

They definitely print the models for painting, to avoid having to wait for the plastic production before getting started. You can see the print lines on the hand flamer on this model, as an example.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I absolutely love the canoness.  I can see myself buying 2 and having one with sword and flamer, cos flames, and the second will get the halberd as its an awesome looking model.

Im disappointed in the rest of the sisters stuff....theres nothing wrong with it per se but its just fairly lacklustre and of a tiny quantity.  I wish they did more sisters content, they are such an interesting and visually pleasing army...id love more units and armour.  

These latest releases are dialing an issue I have with GW's latest sculpts to 11.  They are starting to become irritatingly caricaturized with sharp edges on things that have no business having sharp edges.  Most particularly faces.  I can no longer stand GW faces.  They have turned their entire range into overdesigned models with sharp edges everywhere for ease of painting and I can't look at any of them and go 'This looks good' anymore.  The Canoness's face is a prime example of this.  As is her cloak. 

Also, jump units standing on stupid weird crap looks absolutely silly.  The tactical rock/rubble thing sucks.

The pose is also pretty bad.  Overall a very underwhelming miniature as far as I'm concerned.  I have no idea who would actually get baited into FOMO buying this box for the Canonness..

2 hours ago, beefeb said:

I absolutely love the canoness.  I can see myself buying 2 and having one with sword and flamer, cos flames, and the second will get the halberd as its an awesome looking model.

Im disappointed in the rest of the sisters stuff....theres nothing wrong with it per se but its just fairly lacklustre and of a tiny quantity.  I wish they did more sisters content, they are such an interesting and visually pleasing army...id love more units and armour.  

To be fair, they had received a lot the past two editions, so a slow down was expected, but I do hope for more in the future as I think there is still a lot of design space that can be mined for them.

The etb sprue from sisters launch box and in combat patrol box, is one of the most cost-effective non-limited products for new customers and army expanding. So its retirement is predictable. Also, it doesn't fit very well with fixed unit size in 10th.

21 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

To be fair, they had received a lot the past two editions, so a slow down was expected, but I do hope for more in the future as I think there is still a lot of design space that can be mined for them.

Yes, yes, i realise that, but since when did anyone every have enough minis in their army?

On a more serious note though, I think they would gather a lot more players if there was more choice, and they could be as plentiful as space marines in terms of players, if they were as well supplied...but thats wishful thinking i know.

23 hours ago, appiah4 said:

Also, jump units standing on stupid weird crap looks absolutely silly.  The tactical rock/rubble thing sucks.

On one hand I agree with this - it looks daft and tends to limit poses.

On the other hand, GW's flight stands can go burn in a ditch. Not dealing with them might be a net positive.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Doobles57 said:

30K Assault Squad works just fine being on the ground..... You may have a point.

As a rough guideline anything with actual wings or "wing" like backpacks like the Sororitas Seraphim looks better in the air to me (But I do prefer actual "in the air" via flightstand in that case) but anything with a jump pack or just thrusters I think looks better on the ground like the Assault Squad

Edited by Matrindur

I think the Canoness looks great.

Not unexpected that this is such a limited release, I do think Sisters could do with one or two more units outside of just characters, but I suppose they’ll have to be years off at least now. 

Looking forward to the codex and trying the various detachments. 

• 2 weeks later...