genestealer cults benefictus and army box

Posted (edited)

Really love the big brain boy. I hope I can figure out a way to fit him into my jungle cult, he might be my favorite character model

New combat patrol isn't great compared to the old one, BUT I think it's pretty good for a 10th edition CP and I think it complements the old one well for existing players

Edited by sitnam

New CP is better for 10th CP patrol games, IMO. Nice mix of unit types. 

New character isn’t bad although is certainty better than the mutated stealers and cultists in the new Necromunda box.

The best bit is that we get a different Codex cover. I like that artwork. 

The Combat Patrol box is almost exactly the combination of kits I'd be looking to add to my GSC collection, so that's a pleasant surprise, and no rush to get one either unlike the Batrleforce (which just has a bit too much stuff I really don't need more of to be appealing). 

I might pick up the brain lady, that's a very weird and fun mini. 

The new purestrains have a lot of narrative potential. They're unlikely to get 40k rules, so they'll just be a cosmetic swap, but It's a cool way to denote purestrains of a different cult, or to differentiate between between brood cycles. The first brood- the original purestrains that implant the first hosts and set the whole cult in motion tend to grow bulkier- in more than one edition, there has been a "First Brood" strategem or biomorph, which typically chains a 5+ invul into a 4+ but takes away the advance/ charge - the back spikes on these Purestrains look like they confer additional defense capacity.

Could set up a storyline with a biophagus experimenting to augment Purestrains 

The Necromunda Secundus  campaign - both its rise and fall, and the post-missile rubblescape that sounds like the focus of the campaign in the box.

2 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

in more than one edition, there has been a "First Brood" strategem or biomorph, which typically chains a 5+ invul into a 4+ but takes away the advance/ charge - the back spikes on these Purestrains look like they confer additional defense capacity.

It was originally reinforced carapace and added to their armour save; heavier armour impacting their ability to run really fast lol

Capture.thumb.JPG.f376fb1007cc10ccb3e04aecbee28f46.JPG

This is just food for thought.  1st ed 40k, nobody, not even GW, knew exactly what to do with Genestealers.

Not everything had figured out their identities yet, like Ultramarines weren't really Roman yet, they were just very standard Marines (if you can accept, say, a Half-Eldar Librarian, but UM were always presented as baseline).  But Eldar were Space Elves, Squats were Space Dwarfs, Orks were...Orcs, etc.

Genestealers...sometimes they were like an outcast mutant society alongside Beastmen, other times they were like a form of undead.

Here, this Patriarch is presented like a vampire count, like the sire of a brood.  Don't forget they used to have like hypnotic powers.

I'm not going anywhere with this, not pushing an idea, but I just noticed some of those Hybrids look a little Nosferatu is all.

11 hours ago, sitnam said:

Those mutated Genestealers are so cool. I'll probably get those as a stand-in for my cults pure strains down the road.

Those hive scum heads are pretty nice too. It's unfortunate that they come in a 8 man squad, I can see a lot of people taking them as alternative neophytes

It’s the standard Hive Scum kit though otherwise, so you can get a four man box relatively cheaply if you wanted to bulk them out into a full neophytes squad.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CL_Mission said:

Man, that guy had really let himself go by the time they got a model

206px-PatriarchThrone.jpg

I have that model. His presence is undeniable. Has also barely sits on the throne!

1000014997.jpeg

As for these releases, I'm tempted by the Codex and Combat Patrol as I only have the Wyrmblade Kill Team.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun
Add photo

Not sold on the Zoanthrope styled head but I like the idea of a super villain with too much brain. Reminds me somewhat of Invincible too.

Great to see the new Genestealers for Necromunda, raising the bar too.

Dare I say it, I actually think these look better in many ways than the traditional Genestealers.

I'd prefer the Necromunda style for Cults and older "Purestrain" for Tyranid fleets, as a distinction now.

And I'm gonna get a Genestealer Cult gang for Necromunda now. That's how good the new Genestealers are!

2 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

Not sold on the Zoanthrope styled head but I like the idea of a super villain with too much brain. Reminds me somewhat of Invincible too.

Like most people, I am not a GSC player, but the model is interesting. Looks like it deviates a bit from the Genestealer + Guerilla Mutants + Brood Brothers theme of GSC though.

Previous hybrids all followed the Genestealer template because obviously they do, and this one does look like it came out of left field from a Genestealer who was carrying some Zoanthrope DNA around.

For the GSC player(s?) out there, is this a hit or a miss?

Brain Boy:

Nice to see the "Rain Man" make it´s 40k debut. He can do rocket science math without a calculator and when his Patriarch spills his toothpicks after a tasty meal on the floor Brain Boy can tell him in an instant the correct number of spilled toothpicks. This means for the meta: AUTO-INCLUDE!

19 minutes ago, phandaal said:

For the GSC player(s?) out there, is this a hit or a miss?

We have a lot of characters. We already have the Magus that has wonderful models. Unfortunately, the magus has worthless rules which is disappointing.

So to add ANOTHER character model to a character heavy faction is meh. 

I would  have preferred a new unit or vehicle, and had them take the role of lascannon psycher that the benefictus will have and just given that to the magus.

That being said I like the model and will of course pick it up. No real complaints either, we got something and it’s not Mr. Stilt guy like my admech got so that’s a bonus! 

For me, it’s the first GSC mini I'm not that keen on looks wise. And while my first thought was “Another character, just what we need”, I really can’t think of much else that GSC do need that can’t be covered by either the current range or things brought in through Brood Brothers (unless the rule changes in the new Codex). 

7 minutes ago, AnvilofFenris said:

I really can’t think of much else that GSC do need that can’t be covered by either the current range or things brought in through Brood Brothers (unless the rule changes in the new Codex). 

I think we can branch out with more biomorph stuff. Ranged metamorphs, winged mutants, etc. Overall though, GSC does have all the bases covered imo.

I know GSC have a lot of characters, but that's kind of the modern design philosophy for many factions and not exclusive to GSC. Sisters and DG come to mind