Guard books about non-modeled/kitted regiments?

Additionally, there’s

Nick Kyme’s Volpone Glory is far better than you’d expected expect.

The Mordian novella from Steve Lyon’s, Iron Resolve is very good and relatively recent too.

Blood Sands and Reward of Loyalty are non-modelled regiments published last year.

Going further back there’s the Solar Macharius trilogy, all of the Dark Coil books, Imperial Glory and the Yarrick stories which are all worth reading too.

Why do people always forget about GOSSEFRIED'S GUNHEADS?

Serious, serious question: why has the best tank book in the canon been so forgotten? Why is Steve Parker so often forgotten? Is it because the fandom is largely nerds or nerd-adjacent, and Parker looks like he is professionally employed to dispense wedgies? 

On 5/23/2024 at 3:48 PM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Just curious if there are any books written these days about non-Cadian, non-Catachan based regiments.

Well while they USE to have minis, back in 6-7th BL did a whole series of IG books on all the regiments of the time, Vostroyans, Valhallans, Mordians, etc. And most of them dont have minis anymore.

Rebel Winter the Vossie book has a special place in my bl nostalgia cabinet. 

9 hours ago, Galloway said:

Very much enjoyed Rachel Harrison’s Severina Raine/Antari Rifles stories. Shame they seem to have stopped.

Weirdly the main character in these books got a model when they were released. This was at a point when much loved characters out decades hadn't gotten a model. It was a good book, but I've never seen a BL book get as much marketing push from BL as that one. Maybe it's because of her role in GW? Who knows?

On the Raine front, it seemed reasonably clear that BL were fishing for a new Guard series to recapture that GG lightning in a bottle. When you strip the book down, it's almost purpose-made to tick those boxes. Likeable Commissar deeply involved with their troops? Check. Regiment from a grimdark backwater with secrets, spiritualism and hidden depths? Check. Trouble in the high ranks of the Guard that requires political tact and investigative skills, where the Commissar rises to the challenge of a greater command destiny? Check. Unique and interesting Chaos force with a distinct theme and culture that is emplaced as an ongoing nemesis? Check. Take Harrison's name off the cover and swap some names around and it's Gaunt's Ghosts. 

Not to be unfair to Harrison, since I enjoyed the formula and Raine, but I remember this book in the context of BL's call for open submissions being a blatant 'please write us more gaunt's ghosts' and having a good chuckle about it. 

Plus, as exciting as accusations of nepotism are, its long been the obvious policy of using models to promote ongoing/new book series. Eisenhorn/Gaunts ghosts is the exception rather than the rule and both had a book release at the time. Im assuming the numbers make sense for them as they keep doing it :D 

51 minutes ago, byrd9999 said:

I would add that it helps that Rachel Harrison is a very good writer. Honourbound & related short stories weren't just nepotism or box-ticking exercises... :cool:

Agreed. I do wonder what happened to her. Would love to read more of her writing.

On 5/26/2024 at 10:49 AM, neOh (AV) said:

Peter Fehervari. He loves to write about interesting and obscure regiments - I highly recommend his Fire Caste, where protagonists are soldiers of one of such colourful, but almost unknown outside the Dark Coil regiment.

All of Fehervari's regiments are peak

The Arkan Confederates
The Lethean Penitents
The Iwuji Sharks
The Vassago Black Flags