1500 Solar Auxilia Army/List "The 317th Sathanas Hoplites"

Man, I wish I had some of those minis.  I am really interested in how the Basalisks do.  I love Arty so I have high hopes for a good report from them.

Good luck and the Emperor Protects!

1 hour ago, vadersson said:

Man, I wish I had some of those minis.  I am really interested in how the Basalisks do.  I love Arty so I have high hopes for a good report from them.

Good luck and the Emperor Protects!

They've been ok so far, I think I just gotta run a marauder pathfinder to help a bit. 

They look fantastic, look forward to hearing how they perform in the game.

The more LI army shots I see, the less I agree with GW's stance of 3K points being the standard battle size. I know it's a game of mass combat, but unless you're making full use of titan allies, it feels like a crazy number of models/bases to be using. 1500-2000 seems on paper more achievable, but then I've not got any games under my belt so I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on that.

That is an amazing looking force @Crablezworth and I love the presentation! Will you post here how you get on?

@Doobles57 for pts values, my suspicion is that it was set that high to allow big-point titans in the game (and of course to sell more stuff!) because the massive model count and slower pace of play (compared to other editions) means it does lead to a longer playing time.

A few people I know can play 3k in an evening, but I think you need to know the game inside out for that - don't think it's something casual players can achieve so you're probably better off at 1.5 or 2k, or unless you have an eidetic memory and can recall the stat box of a Kratos without checking, for example.

Posted (edited)

A great looking army. :thumbsup: I see a tank gunner got a bit trigger-happy on the parade ground!

Edited by Cactus

12 hours ago, Doobles57 said:

They look fantastic, look forward to hearing how they perform in the game.

The more LI army shots I see, the less I agree with GW's stance of 3K points being the standard battle size. I know it's a game of mass combat, but unless you're making full use of titan allies, it feels like a crazy number of models/bases to be using. 1500-2000 seems on paper more achievable, but then I've not got any games under my belt so I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on that.

Yeah it's a bit daunting to take in 3k without a big chunk invested in titans/knights/air power and it does seem to play better at lower point levels as there are just too many activations at higher point levels. I think its also somewhere the marketing team is eating crow a bit as the initial big 3k white dwarf battle report had a very double edged sword effect on potential new players, about half my friends were like "awesome" and the other half were like "oh dear god no, thats too much". And people aren't dumb, they can look at that and know its like 5 grand worth of stuff on the board when u factor in terrain. 

I'll post some pics from the game for sure. 

7 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

That is an amazing looking force @Crablezworth and I love the presentation! Will you post here how you get on?

@Doobles57 for pts values, my suspicion is that it was set that high to allow big-point titans in the game (and of course to sell more stuff!) because the massive model count and slower pace of play (compared to other editions) means it does lead to a longer playing time.

A few people I know can play 3k in an evening, but I think you need to know the game inside out for that - don't think it's something casual players can achieve so you're probably better off at 1.5 or 2k, or unless you have an eidetic memory and can recall the stat box of a Kratos without checking, for example.

I'll definitely post pics of the game. 

The thing is while 3k is likely doable assuming all party's are well versed and practiced, it still is a bit of a blank box in that as you say, both sides of that 3k could have like 900pts of titans or a big air force. And the other way, 3k can end up with a huge disparity in activations. Then you add all the damn overwatch reactions and it just bleeds all the evening away and before you know it you're only a turn or two in. GW tried to turn up the "deadliness" but the problem is there's a big disparity in begrudgingly picking up a  handful of infantry and a single plane or titan just removing whole detachments in one go, I still can't for the life of me wrap my head around tracking break points in ever bigger games.