Artwork For Commissar Cain

Posted (edited)

It's cool as artwork in general, but doesn't quite hit the right notes for me for Cain specifically. 

He's the comedy character of the Guard, the charlatan poster-child who ends up in ridiculous situations.

The colours on that make him come across more as some blood-thirsty Chaos-character to me. Like if you had some Blood Pact leader on there it'd be perfect.

Edited by sairence

12 hours ago, sairence said:

It's cool as artwork in general, but doesn't quite hit the right notes for me for Cain specifically. 

He's the comedy character of the Guard, the charlatan poster-child who ends up in ridiculous situations.

The colours on that make him come across more as some blood-thirsty Chaos-character to me. Like if you had some Blood Pact leader on there it'd be perfect.

What color do you think would be a good combo?

Posted (edited)

Reminds me of the covers to penitent and pariah.

If you are looking to change anything maybe the laspistols. The books are very clear that he uses a laspistol but the covers always have him with a bolt pistol. The theory is that the covers show the in universe propaganda versions of Cain rather than the real Cain.

Edited by grailkeeper

54 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I think it’s the style of it and not the colors.

its a very serious style picture for a very non-serious character 

I think that may be it? I kinda wanted a propaganda style poster look, and I may have gone a bit too serious. 

9 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

Reminds me of the covers to penitent and pariah.

If you are looking to change anything maybe the laspistols. The books are very clear that he uses a laspistol but the covers always have him with a bolt pistol. The theory is that the covers show the in universe propaganda versions of Cain rather than the real Cain.

I disagree. I think the use of his signature weapons is fantastic, and shows attention to detail for the series

Posted (edited)

I like it.  The mouth is a little weird but that might be coming from the symmetrical styling.  I like the almost art deco look to it, might even benefit from leaning even harder into simplicity; I think some of the details in the laspistol get a bit muddled.

Overall, really cool!

Edited by DemonGSides

Posted (edited)

I am a big admirer of all your work. If you really want me to be picky, this is why this one is not your best:

1) the laspistols look like they are floating. This style of art works a bit like a coat of arms, the decoration around the shield. So having long weapons crossed or half poking out like the melta-guns is much better. Maybe swap las pistols for lasguns, and then lasguns for chainswords?

2) the red on black creates a “negative” which does not flatter depictions of the human face: the nostrils, pupils, lower lip and sideburns just don’t read well being lighter than what’s around them. If this could be swapped then I think we’d have a much better view of it working as that “grandiose in-universe propaganda” type image.

Edited by LameBeard